Calgary Stampede

We live with one and he has taught me just how intelligent and aware animals are.....

Is this cat aware that you have made it your pet? Perhaps it is an independent contractor cat with the ability to demand better food, higher quality cat litter, and the removal of that id chip from its ass.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're Ontario - we'll tackle this when we see fit.

And now is the time. Maybe it would be better for Alberta to reach out to an objective provincial government - such as the Government of Ontario to regulate this !

I would concur with this if Alberta could also monitor, and supply us with the data of, veterinarian response times on the web.

Is this cat aware that you have made it your pet? Perhaps it is an independent contractor cat with the ability to demand better food, higher quality cat litter, and the removal of that id chip from its ass.

He spends most of his evenings outside, but always comes back the next day. Sleeps all day on a chair. Yes he's fussy about his meals.

I on the other hand have to go to work. I guess in freedom there's always some trade-offs.

But we won't be skinning or eating him (unless absolutely necessary)

The vast majority of house pet ownership = Animal abuse masquerading as entertainment (/companionship/mutual support/love)

Anyone who might have a cat declawed, or keep a Border Collie in an apartment has to have a lot of nerve to object to to a bull ride, a calf rope or a horse race.

Edited by Molly

The vast majority of house pet ownership = Animal abuse masquerading as entertainment (/companionship/mutual support/love)

Anyone who might have a cat declawed, or keep a Border Collie in an apartment has to have a lot of nerve to object to to a bull ride, a calf rope or a horse race.

I wholeheartedly agree and that has always been my attitude towards pet ownership. For that reason we have never owned a pet before. I made an exception for Thomas (cat) because he would have been left to die.

THese creatures have become dependant on us by the society we live in, and how they are born in captivity. The same applies to domestic livestock, ie. cows etc. In this case there are things we do that are necessary and can't be avoided, like raising cows and slaughtering them for meat. We need to do what's necessary, but the things we do that are un-necessary should be stopped. If not for the sake of the animals then mostly for what it does to us, in our attitude toward treatment of animals which I think ultimately relates toward our relationship with the environment, and other human beings.

.... If not for the sake of the animals then mostly for what it does to us, in our attitude toward treatment of animals which I think ultimately relates toward our relationship with the environment, and other human beings.

Really?....why have you not included the insects and vermin of the world for such a righteous cause. Clearly we should be able to tolerate cockroaches and mice just to save our own humanity [/sarcasm].

Once I asked a Calgarian e-friend how the Calgary Stampede differed from the annual Haaj Stampede at Mecca. Beyond the fact that one set of stampeders is two-legged and human and the other are cattle, he answered that "the Calgary Stampede has nice looking women, good beer and a good time had by all, and the Mecca Stampede has none of these".

Once I asked a Calgarian e-friend how the Calgary Stampede differed from the annual Haaj Stampede at Mecca. Beyond the fact that one set of stampeders is two-legged and human and the other are cattle, he answered that "the Calgary Stampede has nice looking women, good beer and a good time had by all, and the Mecca Stampede has none of these".

Mecca sounds like a bit of a drag....

These are animals, not people. They aren't sentient beings with self awareness. People need to stop thinking of animals as portrayed in the Disney movies. They aren't speaking to all the other animals and planning their lives and activities. Animals are on Earth to serve man, end of story.

Has anyone here whining ever been to the Stampede? If you had you'd see how well these animals are cared for. It shows that you guys don't know what you're talking about. Ofc it's terrible that animals get hurt and need to be put down but that's life. Love and loss so get a grip.

The Stampede is in Alberta so people in Toronto need to mind their own business. More Toronto knows best crap. People in urban Toronto sipping their lattes looking down their noses trying to tell the rest of us how to live.

Edited by Mr.Canada

These are animals, not people. They aren't sentient beings with self awareness. People need to stop thinking of animals as portrayed in the Disney movies. They aren't speaking to all the other animals and planning their lives and activities. Animals are on Earth to serve man, end of story.

Yes keep cracking that whip, Marlboro Man. In defending the contrary view the way that you have, only bolsters my argument. We need only look at the calibre of people here and what views they're defending, to make any real assessment

The Stampede is in Alberta so people in Toronto need to mind their own business. More Toronto knows best crap. People in urban Toronto sipping their lattes looking down their noses trying to tell the rest of us how to live.

But you forget that Toronto is the capital of Canada, so if Toronto wants to get involved then it will.

Toronto does know best, not only including where to get the best lattes (my God, can you even GET a latte in Calgary !??!) but also in mapping out how Calgarians can and should live.

Same-sex benefits came to City of Calgary employees only a few years after Toronto rolled these out to their employees, and Toronto will continue to lead the way in blazing the trail for moral and righteous treatment of all living things !

The only question here is how much fuss Calgary will put up this time.

Mecca sounds like a bit of a drag....

1. Exhibit "A"; and
  2. Exhibit "B".

Exhibit "A" excerpt:

Saudi Government Says 345 Killed in Hajj Stampede

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Print ShareThisMINA, Saudi Arabia — Thousands of Muslims surging to complete a stoning ritual before sunset stampeded Thursday after some pilgrims tripped over dropped luggage, causing a pileup that killed at least 345 people in the second tragedy to hit this year's hajj.

In the stoning ritual, all the pilgrims must pass a series of three "pillars" called al-Jamarat, which represent the devil and which the faithful pelt with stones to purge themselves of sin.

Exhibit "B" excerpt:

Hajj stampede: 244 pilgrims dead

Sunday, February 1, 2004 Posted: 3:04 PM EST (2004 GMT)

MECCA, Saudi Arabia (CNN) -- A stampede Sunday morning killed 244 Muslim pilgrims and injured another 244 at a stone-throwing ritual which has been the source of deadly tramplings in the past, according to Saudi's health minister.

Edited by jbg

But you forget that Toronto is the capital of Canada, so if Toronto wants to get involved then it will.

Toronto does know best, not only including where to get the best lattes (my God, can you even GET a latte in Calgary !??!) but also in mapping out how Calgarians can and should live.

Toronto was the center of the universe, I thought. I always thought Ottawa was reserved for the more prosaic role as capital of Canada.

If in doubt, try to ask someone from Toronto as people from that city tend to be quite intelligent and well informed.

TORONTO.

I thought people from Fort York were more intelligent.

Pamela Anderson: Calgary Stampede 'cruel'

MONTREAL - Pamela Anderson was asked Thursday what she thought of the death of a fifth horse at the Calgary Stampede's renowned chuckwagon races.

"I think this is very cruel," the former "Dancing With the Stars" contestant said of the race, which is one of the main attractions at the Calgary event now underway.

"I'm not a fan. I never have been."

The disdain of the former "Home Improvement" cast member echoes that of a growing number of animal welfare organizations, who say the event is cruel to animals. Protests have spread as far as Britain.

Anderson, who gained fame as lifeguard C.J. Parker in TV's "Baywatch" in the 1990s, is an outspoken animal-rights activist who says she has cared about critters since she was a child.

Anderson said she tries to advocate for animals wherever she goes, saying she talked her father out of being a hunter when she was a child after she and a friend saw a dead deer being cleaned.

"We were all traumatized because there was this deer hanging upside down dead, no head, dripping into a bucket. I simply panicked and convinced my father to never hunt again," she said.

"It was my first time that I realized speaking out worked and I haven't shut my mouth up since then."

There you have it. More animals dieing every day, it seems. And if Pamela is not going to take it lieing down, then neither should you or me.

There you have it. More animals dieing every day, it seems. And if Pamela is not going to take it lieing down, then neither should you or me.
Why is some celebrity's position more valid than that of the common man who actually attends these events?

My cat seems happy, but he still has all his claws. Many domesticated animals (particularly dogs and horses) thrive on human companionship, and the only cruelty is that their humans never get to spend as much time with them as they wish they could. That a loved pet is doing something different from what it would be doing in the wild is not in itself a measure of cruelty.

The chuckwagon races should probably be scrapped. They result in animal deaths almost every year.

But the rest? Some of the events are probably stressful for the animals. I could respect that criticism if it were coming from a vegan, or perhaps someone who only eats organic meat and dairy products. But if you're eating meat and dairy produced by big commercial operations, you're financially supporting animal cruelty in a way that makes the Calgary Stampede look like an episode of the Care Bears.

-k

Pamela Anderson: Calgary Stampede 'cruel'

MONTREAL - Pamela Anderson was asked Thursday what she thought of the death of a fifth horse at the Calgary Stampede's renowned chuckwagon races.

"I think this is very cruel," the former "Dancing With the Stars" contestant said of the race, which is one of the main attractions at the Calgary event now underway.

"I'm not a fan. I never have been."

The disdain of the former "Home Improvement" cast member echoes that of a growing number of animal welfare organizations, who say the event is cruel to animals. Protests have spread as far as Britain.

Anderson, who gained fame as lifeguard C.J. Parker in TV's "Baywatch" in the 1990s, is an outspoken animal-rights activist who says she has cared about critters since she was a child.

Anderson said she tries to advocate for animals wherever she goes, saying she talked her father out of being a hunter when she was a child after she and a friend saw a dead deer being cleaned.

"We were all traumatized because there was this deer hanging upside down dead, no head, dripping into a bucket. I simply panicked and convinced my father to never hunt again," she said.

"It was my first time that I realized speaking out worked and I haven't shut my mouth up since then."

I'm a proud PETA memeber..

People

who

EAT

Tastey

Animals