Calgary Stampede

4 horses dead, rider injured at Stampede

"There are animal deaths of one sort or another at the Stampede almost every year and the Stampede continues to make various excuses for these deaths, but it is part and parcel of what happens at rodeos"

"There have been over 50 chuckwagon horses die since 1986 at the Stampede." "We feel that event is putting the horses under unnecessary stress."

In addition, more than 50 members of Parliament signed a motion in the British House of Commons asking the Canadian government to improve how animals are treated during the event.

"We know some people have different views about animals and we respect their right to hold those opinions, but we trust that they will respect the opinions of the millions of Calgarians, Canadians and international visitors who admire and respect the Calgary Stampede."

Here we go again, time to round up the animals and force them to trot all in a row, nice and pretty like. Gee even other countries are noticing how backwards Canada is, in some places.

Personally I don't get the appeal, what makes these yahoos call this "entertainment". Remoinds me of the roman colliseum, where gladiators fought against captured animals for "sport".

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac101/Bandelot/chuck0715_210.jpg

Wow did you see that critters head come apart? Thats entertaining...

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac101/Bandelot/3e61c784.jpg

What a brave, talented guy

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac101/Bandelot/marlboroman.jpg

Yeah, he's a real man, cause he's got a whip

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac101/Bandelot/0011cc74_medium.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....Personally I don't get the appeal, what makes these yahoos call this "entertainment". Remoinds me of the roman colliseum, where gladiators fought against captured animals for "sport".

The same appeal that makes sportfishing, horse/dog/camel/alpaca racing, Seaworld marine shows, and strippers with a big snake "entertainment".

Personally I don't get the appeal

Good. Then don't attend and/or watch. The participants of the Stampede are injured just as often as the animals are. But injuries to animals isn't the goal of the event, as it is of say bull fighting. Where the sole purpose is to kill the animal. Why don't you first solve the problem of bull fighting. And then tackle lesser "evils" like the Stampede. :rolleyes:

Good. Then don't attend and/or watch. The participants of the Stampede are injured just as often as the animals are. But injuries to animals isn't the goal of the event, as it is of say bull fighting. Where the sole purpose is to kill the animal. Why don't you first solve the problem of bull fighting. And then tackle lesser "evils" like the Stampede. :rolleyes:

But, but, the poor horses are so CUTE!

I'm not trying to tackle or solve anything, just wanted to raise the issue. My view is, leave the friggin animals alone, damn you all and your entertainment, but that is just my view. I'm not on a crusade.

Good. Then don't attend and/or watch. The participants of the Stampede are injured just as often as the animals are.

What ? The animals aren't participants ? I don't see many animals in the stands watching.

But injuries to animals isn't the goal of the event, as it is of say bull fighting. Where the sole purpose is to kill the animal. Why don't you first solve the problem of bull fighting. And then tackle lesser "evils" like the Stampede. :rolleyes:

We're Ontario - we'll tackle this when we see fit.

And now is the time. Maybe it would be better for Alberta to reach out to an objective provincial government - such as the Government of Ontario to regulate this !

I'm not trying to tackle or solve anything, just wanted to raise the issue. My view is, leave the friggin animals alone, damn you all and your entertainment, but that is just my view. I'm not on a crusade.

Why aren't you on a crusade ? Does anybody actually trust these people to behave ethically ?

"Of course we do, can't you see how he whips those cows so lovingly !"

An offensive may need to be taken here, regulation-wise.

Why aren't you on a crusade ? Does anybody actually trust these people to behave ethically ?

"Of course we do, can't you see how he whips those cows so lovingly !"

An offensive may need to be taken here, regulation-wise.

Why? Isn't this another case of the Sleeping Hardner Disease?

Why? Isn't this another case of the Sleeping Hardner Disease?

Sleeping Hardner disease causes people to get along because they're middle-aged and tired of fighting on web boards. It may not work between Alberta and Ontario, unless we engage in a protracted conflict that would lay waste to Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

If that were the case:

1) Who would notice ?

2) Would Alberta end up with Ethiopian restaurants ?

3) Would Dalton McGuinty have his picture taken in a cowboy hat ?

4) If yes to 3), would OHIP cover the resulting blindness I would endure upon seeing it ?

You mean....no more circus acts? No more carnivals? No more agriculturural fairs? No more Tijuana dog and pony (and women) shows? No more Donkey Basketball fundraisers?

I don't like what happens to man or beast but man does have a choice were the beast has to do what the man says! Besides, I don't think our Federal dollars should support affairs as this, that being said, this two years support from Ottawa and next year Calgary Stampede is on its own.

You mean....no more circus acts? No more carnivals? No more agriculturural fairs? No more Tijuana dog and pony (and women) shows? No more Donkey Basketball fundraisers?

Well as a matter of fact, I got a phone call just the other day, was someone from the Schreiners Circus. They asked me if I would be willing to sponsor a kid to go to the schreiners circus. I thought for a moment and almost was going to say "sure", but then I asked him "Do they have animals in that circus?" and he says, yes, elephants and horses. So I politely told him I can't donate to them for that reason. He seemed to be very understanding about that.

After I hung up the phone, I thought to myself "Bread, not circuses".

Edited by Sir Bandelot

Clearly, you don't live with a cat.

We live with one and he has taught me just how intelligent and aware animals are. Having this cat has shown me that animals are worthy of more respect and understanding than many humans give them credit for, and also how arrogant people are to think that we are all that has consciousness, thoughts, feelings and memories.

Such shows where animals are put on display for entertainment are not the worst things that we do, but they contribute to our sense of entitlement. I think it appeals to those who can only see themselves. The message is, just take what you want and do what you want, because it amuses.

Nature made us what we are and we have fought against nature, to control it... but we cannot control ourselves.

Is there anyone else that just plain couldn't care less about the supposed suffering of animals?

It's not the suffering of animals I could'nt care less about...It's a valid issue...

It's the PETA twits that I'd like to see laid down shoulder to shoulder during the chuckwagon races and used as speed bumps....

Edited by Jack Weber

We live with one and he has taught me just how intelligent and aware animals are. Having this cat has shown me that animals are worthy of more respect and understanding than many humans give them credit for, and also how arrogant people are to think that we are all that has consciousness, thoughts, feelings and memories.

Such shows where animals are put on display for entertainment are not the worst things that we do, but they contribute to our sense of entitlement. I think it appeals to those who can only see themselves. The message is, just take what you want and do what you want, because it amuses.

Nature made us what we are and we have fought against nature, to control it... but we cannot control ourselves.

It seems to be less popular than ever too. The most famous circus in the world now, I think, would be Cirque du Soleil - no animals.