3 parties reached deal on detainees docs

Jack Layton, walked on the deal because he wants to see more documents. It has been said there are a pile of them over in Afghanistan, not sure they they will ge to see those. There may be nothing to this or it could be that the some of the documents could show the Libs, also are guilty of knowing. I can't imagine any government coming forth with papers that says there was a cover up, so is this all for show and to stop an election for right now. http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20100615/detainee-documents-100615/

With all the coalition talk and polls saying jack can win, I think jack's head is starting to swell, what he is doing now is getting close to treason by wanting everything out front. I am sorry jack but there are somethings the public does not need to learn. This has nothing to do with the detainees, but a chance to embarress the goverment the country and the military. I had respect for him ,but that now is gone.

With all the coalition talk and polls saying jack can win, I think jack's head is starting to swell, what he is doing now is getting close to treason by wanting everything out front. I am sorry jack but there are somethings the public does not need to learn. This has nothing to do with the detainees, but a chance to embarress the goverment the country and the military. I had respect for him ,but that now is gone.

Actually, no. the only things that "the public does not need to learn" are matters of real national security...and they, too, should become available at some point.

If something comes to light that embarrasses the government, the country, and the military...to damn bad. That's no reason to keep things secret.

With all the coalition talk and polls saying jack can win, I think jack's head is starting to swell, what he is doing now is getting close to treason by wanting everything out front.

I think something has got into your head. You guys throw the word "treason" around like you knew what it meant. Treason, under the criminal code, has a very explicit meaning, and while it could apply to an MP, this certainly isn't a case.

I am sorry jack but there are somethings the public does not need to learn. This has nothing to do with the detainees, but a chance to embarress the goverment the country and the military. I had respect for him ,but that now is gone.

While I think the NDP are being pretty foolish, I have seen no evidence that he's demanding documents be released publicly.

What am I to assume from your post? What would you like, that I assume you're an illiterate idiot, or that you're just simply dishonest and make things up? I can't think of any other explanations for why you would so clearly and blatantly lie about Layton's problems with this deal.

Edited by ToadBrother

Sorry lads but this has gone on long enough, in case you did not know there is a war going on over there, but since we are not a occupying force,we can't keep prisoners,that is why they are handed back , in some cases they were taken back ,because of some idiot that got a little carried away. But don't give me any crap that any of you guys really care about them in the first place, and how many of these detainees were just released out the back door after they were handed over and maybe killed one of our soldiers? Bring on election and then we will see how jack does.And why not try and embarress the goverment, that is what oppositions do, but using the miltary is wrong and the NDP will pay, and they will pay if jack does not do anything to libby davis and lets her way with her BS.

Sorry lads but this has gone on long enough, in case you did not know there is a war going on over there, but since we are not a occupying force,we can't keep prisoners,that is why they are handed back , in some cases they were taken back ,because of some idiot that got a little carried away. But don't give me any crap that any of you guys really care about them in the first place, and how many of these detainees were just released out the back door after they were handed over and maybe killed one of our soldiers? Bring on election and then we will see how jack does.And why not try and embarress the goverment, that is what oppositions do, but using the miltary is wrong and the NDP will pay, and they will pay if jack does not do anything to libby davis and lets her way with her BS.

Was there a point to this rant? It certainly didn't deal with the issue at hand, or with your lack of honesty. Unless you can show me a quote where Layton, or anyone in the Opposition, was asking that the documents be released publicly, I think you're just a shameless partisan, and probably pretty damned stupid to boot.

I'd love to debate constitutional issues with you, my incredibly dumb friend, but I'm not even sure you can spell "constitution".

Edited by ToadBrother

Hear hear.

Political only - if one "detainee" was hurt to save our own I am happy.

We give them to the government in power - plain and simple. Once they are handed over, the government in power handles the situation.

Blame them - not us.

Tired of this one.

Borg

Was there a point to this rant? It certainly didn't deal with the issue at hand, or with your lack of honesty. Unless you can show me a quote where Layton, or anyone in the Opposition, was asking that the documents be released publicly, I think you're just a shameless partisan, and probably pretty damned stupid to boot.

I'd love to debate constitutional issues with you, my incredibly dumb friend, but I'm not even sure you can spell "constitution".

This is all about common sense,something alot of people in this country are lacking.And can you say that everyone can be trusted not to ''leak'' anything that they see, like the bloc or someone in the NDP. Can libby davis be trusted to keep her mouth shut.I highly doubt it, and if you think everyone can be trusted ,the you are the fool.

This is all about common sense,

As I said elsewhere, there is no such thing.

something alot of people in this country are lacking.And can you say that everyone can be trusted not to ''leak'' anything that they see, like the bloc or someone in the NDP. Can libby davis be trusted to keep her mouth shut.I highly doubt it, and if you think everyone can be trusted ,the you are the fool.

We've been through all of this before. Parliament is the absolute controller of government. If Parliament decides to release it, it is legal. But since no one is proposing that, and indeed, no one is proposing that every MP see the documents, all you're left with is this line of crap.

Like I said, I'd love to debate the government's constitutional limitations in this regard, but I'm not sure you know anything about our constitution. You're just a braindead partisan.

THIS issue is NOT the TORTURING, its the covering up or LYING that they, the government, O'Connor and McKay said THEY didn't know it was going on. It appears that everyone KNEW torturing was happening but no one said any thing. When the Toronto Star came out with the story, THEN the Tories made changes and they said they made changes. It would have been a better plan to come out and said they were, instead of lying about it. That is all the opposition parties ever wanted. I don't trust the Tories and they would never have paper available that showed their did know.

Maybe we should stop taking prisoners! Thank goodness the allied countries press were on our side during WW2. War is cruel, mean and ugly and to win secrets must be kept close to the vest. I am sure that the NDP are just as concerned about our guys taken prisoner by the Taliban and their Geneva conventions. Oh! Wait, the Taliban only holds prisoners for a short while. Long enough to torture and chop off their heads. Even seven year old children are hung for spying. Like most Canadians ,we don`t give a fiddlers fart about Taliban prisoners and the rights Afganistan authorities give or don`t give. Screw them. Hmm! Thats what they do to little boys come to think of it when not throwing acid in little girls faces just for going to school. I don`t and I believe most Canadians just want our guys home with as few casualties as possible.I also don`t Layton and company could care less about Taliban prisoners. They only care about political opportunism.

People who insist they don't care about detainees being tortured (not all of whom are automatically Taliban head-choppers, by the way) maybe have no right to lecture anybody about anything.

It's all a moot point anyways. The Speaker pretty much rejected the NDP's complaint. In short form, he states his job is to make sure there was an agreement in place, and since everyone but the NDP was satisfied with the agreement, at the moment, there's nothing to be done.

Nice to see all MPs come together to amend pardons to kill Homolka's impending and inevitable application and success. It's a stop gate and while I'm not generally in favor of legislation being passed for these reasons (hard cases make bad law and all that), they are committed to a more thorough set of reforms in the Fall. Another sitting of Parliament over and done with, and somehow the whole ship of state, while tottering on the edge at times, managed to stay afloat.

It's all a moot point anyways. The Speaker pretty much rejected the NDP's complaint. In short form, he states his job is to make sure there was an agreement in place, and since everyone but the NDP was satisfied with the agreement, at the moment, there's nothing to be done.

Nice to see all MPs come together to amend pardons to kill Homolka's impending and inevitable application and success. It's a stop gate and while I'm not generally in favor of legislation being passed for these reasons (hard cases make bad law and all that), they are committed to a more thorough set of reforms in the Fall. Another sitting of Parliament over and done with, and somehow the whole ship of state, while tottering on the edge at times, managed to stay afloat.

There's a veru good chance there won't be much of a fall session...

There's a veru good chance there won't be much of a fall session...

What do you mean? Chance of an election or slim pickings on the order paper? The copyright bill is a pretty big piece of legislation and the government is apparently feeling the heat considering that Mega-entertainment-america Corp wants us to have our very own DMCA.

What do you mean? Chance of an election or slim pickings on the order paper? The copyright bill is a pretty big piece of legislation and the government is apparently feeling the heat considering that Mega-entertainment-america Corp wants us to have our very own DMCA.

I think,over the summer,Mr. Harper is going to do his best to angle for an election...

Right now,it seems like a dumb idea but his approval ratings seem to go up everytime the public does'nt get to see him and his party in action...

Edited by Jack Weber

I think,over the summer,Mr. Harper is going to do his best to angle for an election...

Right now,it seems like a dumb idea but his approval ratings seem to go up everytime the public does'nt get to see him and his party in action...

Well, maybe. I have my doubts about a fall election, myself. Any big bumps the Tories get in the polls don't last long.

ALL the documents should be made available to parliament.

And ALL the documents should also be made available to the PUBLIC as well UNLESS it can be shown they would compromise active operations in Afghanistan.

The latter is absurd, the former not necessary if Parliament decides that not every member has to see them. This is no different than how Parliament has functioned under other crises and periods of war. Do you think that ever British, Canadian, Australian, New Zealander, Jamaican, etc. MP was getting access to Cabinet-level documents during WWII?