Israel's New Best Friend?

When Binyamin Netanyahu arrives in Canada on Friday, immediately following the ceremony in Paris to introduce Israel to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), it will mark the first visit to Ottawa by a sitting Israeli prime minister since Yitzhak Rabin in 1994.

During his last visit, in 2002, Netanyahu's closed door speech at Concordia University in Montreal sparked a riot that made headlines around the world.

In the years since, as Israel has found itself increasingly isolated on the world stage, successive Canadian governments have moved against the trend and deepened ties with Israel - something that Netanyahu is keen to protect.

By Jon Elmer

I don't see a problem with Canada having very close ties with Israel...rather I see it as a good thing. That doesn't mean to say that Israel is never wrong, and never deserves criticism, but in my view, they're on the 'right' side of things overall.

Edited by Smallc

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I am glad to see our government not succumbing to the European trend and maintaining friendly relations with Israel.

I wonder if the world would treat Israel different if Jesus wasn't a Jew?

Do you mean would it be treated better, or would it be treated even worse?

Just as long Canada doesn't give them money to fight wars like the US does. I wonder if the world would treat Israel different if Jesus wasn't a Jew? Don't most people when they think of Israel, think God and Jesus?

I don't think that's the case at all. I think most people think of Israel when they think of Israel. There's nothing religious about my support for them.

Wow, what a range of opinions! Has anybody considered a truly groundbreaking idea that these relations could also be based on principles (such as peace, respect for human rights, international law, etc, as we like to blare on every corner, whether asked or not)? On a right occasion, of course.

Edited by myata

The title of the artical reads "Armageddon thinking: coming soon to Canada?"

Johanne Hills in her column reports that the Canadian Company has cut funding to Kairos. Speculation about the withdrawal of support centered on Kairos' work on human rights violation in Isreal and Palastene. These actives were described as "anti-Isreal. Kairos has also been openly critical of the envirmental impact of the Alberta Tar sands.

Memebers of Kairos have a common belief that we as Christians are stewards of God's earth. They also believe that Jesus call on our lives implies a speaking out on behalf of the refugee, the poor and the disinfrachized of this world.

Kairos member are The Canadian Coucil of Catholic Bishops, the mennonite Central committee, the Anglican, Lutheran, Presbyterian and United churces , as well as the Societey of Friends (Quakers)

The article goes on to report of the increasing influence of the religous right in Canada under the Current Conservative Gov't. This supports the Armageddon theories in fundamentalist churches in the US that the end of the world is coming soon. Isreal figures predominately in this thinking by these believers.

Just as long Canada doesn't give them money to fight wars like the US does. I wonder if the world would treat Israel different if Jesus wasn't a Jew? Don't most people when they think of Israel, think God and Jesus?

Actually no, I do not believe so. What I think most people see is a Nation striving to maintain its existents. They practically have been under a constant state of war since the nation was declared May 14th 1948.

I hope that being a better friend to Israel, we as Canadians can use that friendship to better the situation in that region.

Duf

Wow, what a range of opinions! Has anybody considered a truly groundbreaking idea that these relations could also be based on principles (such as peace, respect for human rights, international law, etc, as we like to blare on every corner, whether asked or not)? On a right occasion, of course.

As we have discussed maaany times before, these principles are very easily to carry on about when you're not afraid of having your bus bombed.

Actually no, I do not believe so. What I think most people see is a Nation striving to maintain its existents. They practically have been under a constant state of war since the nation was declared May 14th 1948.

I hope that being a better friend to Israel, we as Canadians can use that friendship to better the situation in that region.

Duf

I think the US has more power over Israel than any other country. After all, they give them what 100Mil or more a year for military purposes.

As we have discussed maaany times before, these principles are very easily to carry on about when you're not afraid of having your bus bombed.

Yes and we here aren't (afraid of that), yet. But getting intimately in bed with a government that is persisting in provocation and aggression may get us there, though. And no, it'd have nothing to do with "standing up for glorious ideals blah" while everything with getting messed up in other people's conflicts for nothing more than ideologies of our governments of the day.

Yes and we here aren't (afraid of that), yet. But getting intimately in bed with a government that is persisting in provocation and aggression may get us there, though. And no, it'd have nothing to do with "standing up for glorious ideals blah" while everything with getting messed up in other people's conflicts for nothing more than ideologies of our governments of the day.

Are you kidding? Forget Israel for a moment and consider that Canada has been very cozy in bed with a much larger nation. I don't know why you expect Canada to get religion about it now.

Are you kidding? Forget Israel for a moment and consider that Canada has been very cozy in bed with a much larger nation. I don't know why you expect Canada to get religion about it now.

Yes that much larger nation did a lot that (messing up in other peoples conflict). Not sure if it's a smart habit to pick up though.

Too late for that.....Canada very much has the "habit". What is it about Israel that makes it any different?

Canadas self interests compell us in the case of the US.

But when it comes to rogue states such is Iran, Israel, North Korea, etc, that consistantly violate inernational and humanitarian law, and non state actors such as Hamas, Hezbollah etc that do the same thing contact should be extremely limited or non-existant.

Yes and we here aren't (afraid of that), yet. But getting intimately in bed with a government that is persisting in provocation and aggression may get us there, though.

You've chosen to take a VERY narrow view of the conflict and it's something you and I have disagreed on fairly regularly. While I'll agree Israel's settlements etc don't help the peace process, I don't think the peace process has any chance regardless until Israel's neighbours in the Middle East make an effort to marginalize and police their militants.

Both sides have to have a vested interest in peace for any negotation to work. Israel and its direct neighbours have this. Iran and the people funding Hezbollah etc do not.

If I had to chose a side, it would be the democratic and relatively secular Israel sorry.

You've chosen to take a VERY narrow view of the conflict and it's something you and I have disagreed on fairly regularly. While I'll agree Israel's settlements etc don't help the peace process, I don't think the peace process has any chance regardless until Israel's neighbours in the Middle East make an effort to marginalize and police their militants.

Both sides have to have a vested interest in peace for any negotation to work. Israel and its direct neighbours have this. Iran and the people funding Hezbollah etc do not.

If I had to chose a side, it would be the democratic and relatively secular Israel sorry.

Actually Israels interests compell it to pursue the status quo, not a settlement. Its your view of this as a one-side goodguy VS badguy conflict thats extremely narrow. BOTH sides have done literally everything possible to scuttle the peace process at every juncture.

Id crash the whole internet if I even TRIED to post a list of all the stupid things these two gangs of morons have done to each other.

Canadas self interests compell us in the case of the US.

But when it comes to rogue states such is Iran, Israel, North Korea, etc, that consistantly violate inernational and humanitarian law, and non state actors such as Hamas, Hezbollah etc that do the same thing contact should be extremely limited or non-existant.

When you lump Israel in with North Korea and Iran, you're really making it hard to take you seriously.