Guergis Resigns from Cabinet - RCMP Investigation into Alleged Miscond

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never let a little thing like a fact get in your way.

I have yet to see the slightest evidence of corruption involving anyone in the Tory government. Nor have you - the private information your toaster sends to your brain when your skull isn't enveloped in tinfoil notwithstanding.

Is lying to cover your ass considred corruption? I say it is...

Is lying to cover your ass considred corruption? I say it is...

If dishonesty were a crime every living prime minister would be in prison for life, along with 90% of anyone who had ever held the term "honorable" before their names.

He could have had a majority I believe if had stuck to principals that he espoused when he was part of the Reform Party. I am now homeless politically. My party was shanghied.
I don't know that the reform could have, under any set of facts, had the ridings. Doing very well in AB, SK and MB and a smattering of ON ridings does not beget a majority government.

from what I understand Jaffer claiming he could pedal his influence with the government is a crime(I've never heard that before)so he conducting his business through his wife's office using publically paid funded communictions makes her guilty as well as should would have obviously known and approved of it...

If - she knew of it and approved of it innocent until proven guilty - that is unless we live in Kanuckistan

Here's a bit of a timeline of what was happening in the PMO the last days before everything hit the fan. I was watching Harper and McGuinty at a press conference and one of the reporters asked about the money the Jaffer's were buying a house with and you could see he was angry and embrassed about the question. http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/793462--harper-s-office-rattled-by-jaffer-controversy

If - she knew of it and approved of it innocent until proven guilty - that is unless we live in Kanuckistan

he was using one of her MP cell phones we can assume it was a Blackberry and her office email...how does one not notice business emails for their spouse on her email address? it was impossible not to know...guilty... Edited by wyly

I saw a Hells Angels reference above - is this it ?

macleans.ca

New allegations have emerged stating that Rahim Jaffer and a business associate claiming to be a banker for the Hells Angels tried to sell political influence, reports the Toronto Star. The new reports coincide with RCMP investigations of his wife, minister of state for the status of women Helena Guergis, who allegedly allowed Jaffer to use her parliamentary office to conduct commercial business, and may have sat in on meetings herself.

Born Free, on 10 April 2010 - 04:23 PM, said:

Honourable Ministers arent supposed to do that kind of stuff. At the dinner table perhaps but not in public. She did. Ergo, she wasnt honourable. Its a rather simple case.

Oh fuddle duddle.

Well we know how low you've set your standards for a government Minister....right in line with Harpers ideals...or lack of...

Well we know how low you've set your standards for a government Minister....right in line with Harpers ideals...or lack of...

Apparently you think its OK for a PM or a cabinet Minister to act or behave dishonourably.

Chretien, Gagliano, Pelletier, Sgro, Svend Robinson....

Apparently you think its OK for a PM or a cabinet Minister to act or behave dishonourably.

I never hinted or suggested any such thing. Do you have an argument with the statement I actually made? Do you believe most ministers and prime ministers are truthful?

Now just hold on a moment. Nowhere did I defend her outburst. It was childish and stupid. But force a minister to resign because of it? Come on. I know the Opposition will demand a minister's head if their toast isn't buttered right, but that's just an age-old rhetorical game. It's always amusing when partisan supporters actually take the politicians' games seriously.

I even have some trouble with her being removed because of her husband's misdeeds, but from a political angle, it's clearly better for the Government not to have ministers whose spouses get busted with cocaine, and then magically have the charges dropped.

Clearly there's a lot going on that we don't know. It oculd simply be that Harper feels his government has accrued enough damage from this and muscled out. It could be really nasty, nefarious things.

What's really amusing about this is that you didn't even catch my reference; "fuddle duddle". Here's a hint; it involves the Prime Minister most often lionized by Liberals and a rude outburst.

Edited by ToadBrother

I never hinted or suggested any such thing. Do you have an argument with the statement I actually made? Do you believe most ministers and prime ministers are truthful?

Well then I must assume you believe as I do that its not OK for a cabinet minister to behave or act dishonourably. Under the circumstance, Guergis' behaviour warrented her immediate removal from cabinet.

To answer your question about whether I believe that most ministers and prime ministers are truthful.... my answer is ... I hear what they have to say and form my opinion as to their veracity. In Harpers case, not only do I think he showed total lack of judgement from the getgo in the Guergis episode , he's proven to be a serial liar.

Well then I must assume you believe as I do that its not OK for a cabinet minister to behave or act dishonourably. Under the circumstance, Guergis' behaviour warrented her immediate removal from cabinet.

To answer your question about whether I believe that most ministers and prime ministers are truthful.... my answer is ... I hear what they have to say and form my opinion as to their veracity. In Harpers case, not only do I think he showed total lack of judgement from the getgo in the Guergis episode , he's proven to be a serial liar.

I think if someone were were to say Harper ate babies and drank the blood of virgins, you would be predisposed to believe it.

Edited by ToadBrother

Now just hold on a moment. Nowhere did I defend her outburst. It was childish and stupid. But force a minister to resign because of it? Come on.

Chidish and stupid behaviour are grounds for dismissal for a cabinet minister. Its not good to have people in senior public office to act stupid in public....

I even have some trouble with her being removed because of her husband's misdeeds...

She wasnt removed for that.

Lastly...I knew precisley what your fuddle fuddle meant. Trudeaus long dead and cant be removed from office with out signed exhumation papers.