Guergis Resigns from Cabinet - RCMP Investigation into Alleged Miscond

I think the PM is paying a price for having been overly sympathetic to Guergis' troubles before he came upon the allegations of the PI. Apparently Guergis had two miscarriages in a short space of time, illness in the family, then add to this Jaffer's arrest.

We were trying to keep Helena’s personal life personal and with two miscarriages, finishing off her Master’s degree, dealing with a heart attack and two cancers among close family members all within a few months, we thought she was performing as well as could be expected and we really have seen nothing to change that opinion.

http://www.kingsentinel.com/news/2010-04-14/Editorial

Ignatieff called it arrogance and lack of judgment.

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff has charged that the behaviour of Guergis and Jaffer reflected poorly on the prime minister, calling it the latest incident in a "pattern of arrogance."

"The question now is not about Mr. and Mrs. Jaffer, it is about the prime minister . . . will he finally admit that with the confidence he displayed with this couple, he displayed a poor lack of judgment?" Ignatieff asked.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100414/guergis_response_100414/20100414?hub=TopStoriesV2

Perhaps Harper was giving her some slack because of the challenges she was facing in her personal life. Calling it arrogance and lack of judgment may not be far from the truth. Yet, it's not difficult to imagine a leader exercising patience given the facts Harper had to go on early on. I think the emotional stress Guergis was under led her to act outside her character and she rubbed shoulders with less than savoury individuals. Of course, Jaffer didn't help matters as he seemed to gravitate toward that crowd.

Gilliani boasted that he had cellphone photos of Guergis and Jaffer "partying" with cocaine and high-priced hookers, Snowdy said.

"I was concerned about blackmail," he said.

It has not been confirmed that Gillani said those comments or that he had the cellphone photos, but it was those allegations that caused Harper to act.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100414/guergis_response_100414/20100414?hub=TopStoriesV2

So now we have Snowdy, a PI, concerned about the potential of blackmail stemming from some photos that Gillani may have in his possession. Who would blackmail who? Surely not Jaffer or Guergis who were supposedly photographed in compromising circumstances. The plot thickens.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now we have Snowdy, a PI, concerned about the potential of blackmail stemming from some photos that Gillani may have in his possession. Who would blackmail who? Surely not Jaffer or Guergis who were supposedly photographed in compromising circumstances. The plot thickens.

:lol:Gilliani boasted that he had cellphone photos of Guergis and Jaffer "partying" with cocaine and high-priced hookers, Snowdy said.

:lol: the moral conservatives, the tough on crime party :lol:

Isn't that why Harper referred the matter to the RCMP? You don't call the cops on one of your own if you're soft on crime.

rrright ;)... it's called saving your own skin...

Paul Martin had Justice John Gomery look into the sponsorship scandal and what good it do the Liberals?

corrupt, corrupt, corrupt...

now how about Harper take the gag off of Rob Anders so Canadians can see what a wonderful person he is...hey he can give Anders Geurgis's cabinet position!

Paul Martin had Justice John Gomery look into the sponsorship scandal and what good it do the Liberals?

That's exactly what Martin tried to do with Gomery. Trying to save his own skin. Good effort but it didn't work.

I know. The taste doesn't seem to go away.

That's exactly what Martin tried to do with Gomery. Trying to save his own skin. Good effort but it didn't work.

The difference there is quite simple; Chretien let the Auditor General report explode on Martin's watch, and Martin sought revenge. I don't perceive, from Stateside, Guergis representing a wing of the CPC and otherwise having the ability to do as much damage to the CPC as Chretien or his henchpeople could do from the sidelines when the Gomery inquiry was called.

now how about Harper take the gag off of Rob Anders so Canadians can see what a wonderful person he is...hey he can give Anders Geurgis's cabinet position!

The radically polarized Trudeau-Turner feud continued Liberals? He had no motivation whatsoever to clean house?

Do you have anything to offer this forum other than juvenile pottymouth put downs and fantasy statements about the "left"?

I have a long history on this site of replying in kind to the intellectual quality of the posts which precede mine.

You are not conservative, you are merely partisan. I'll tell you why- your stance on "tough on crime" does not extend to people or situations that involve your party.

My stance on crime is identical in all instances. Thus I found the widespread corruption of your Liberal Party to be contemptable. I see no such corruption in the present government, notwistanding that a power couple who used to be in the party ran afoul of drugs.

If this statement is incorrect, tell us your opinion on how Rahim Jaffer got off so easily on some technicalities, that otherwise would be overlooked if he were not a person with political connections.

Jesus, how dense you anyway? The law is complicated, and almost anyone who can afford a top notch lawyer can find some niggling thing the cops did wrong at some point. I'm not in favour of that and never have been but Jaffer benefited from having a good lawyer, that's all. It had nothing to do with political connections unless you're suggesting McGuinty's liberals colluded in some kind of far-fetched bizarroworld conspiracy.

And if you suspect that why don't you trot on down to whichever Liberal party office you belong to and complain?

It had nothing to do with political connections unless you're suggesting McGuinty's liberals colluded in some kind of far-fetched bizarroworld conspiracy.

I'm not suggesting that. McGuintly Liberals would like to see Jaffer take the fall. But if you don't think the feds can reach down to some prosecutor in an Ontario court and persuade them to drop the charges, you're not just a confused partisan, you're naive.

My stance on crime is identical in all instances. Thus I found the widespread corruption of your Liberal Party to be contemptable. I see no such corruption in the present government, notwistanding that a power couple who used to be in the party ran afoul of drugs.

You forget Mulroney. Now there was proof positive of Conservative party corruption. A smoking gun so to speak.

You are indeed a blind partisan.

Obviously some of you are buying into the smears and innuendo, conviction by public opinion, also CTV said there was no proof those photos exist.

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/politics/story.html?id=2907789#ixzz0lAtOQMP6

In the court of public opinion, they're already convicted.

But with anonymous whispers, innuendo, gossip and grassy-knoll conspiracies fanning the Helena Guergis-Rahim Jaffer scandal into a parliamentary preoccupation without end, it's time for police intervention.

The cops need to cough up some actual facts. Now.

Five days after the RCMP received "serious" allegations from Prime Minister Stephen Harper, dynamite material so explosive he immediately booted Minister of State Guergis out of the Conservative caucus, the police should be in position to either launch a probe or declare an all-clear.

Obviously some of you are buying into the smears and innuendo, conviction by public opinion, also CTV said there was no proof those photos exist.

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/politics/story.html?id=2907789#ixzz0lAtOQMP6

I'm personally waiting to see the end game from the RCMP.

On the other hand, smears and innuendo is the creedo of the Harper gang too. If you dont know what I mean by that I'll be glad to inform you on that one if you so wish.

If there was any significant doubt, Mr. Harper would hold his ground and ignore the innuendo.

Five days after the RCMP received "serious" allegations from Prime Minister Stephen Harper

I guess he's the one providing the innuendo now?

The cops must arrest people every day. They know their procedures damn well by now. They know, it's a "procedural error" to give somebody a cavity search under these circumstances. But I have a hunch, there was nothing special in this case as far as the cops were concerned, just another night on patrol, just another drunk driver with coke in his possession. Yet the tough on crimers have little to say now, despite procedural errors. The silence roared.

By the "tough on crimers" you mean "conservatives". And we've been complaining about such laws forever - which you and the rest of your comrades on the Left defend so frantically as "protecting civil rights". We see it so much it's kind of hard to get worked up over on a simple drug posession case. Why you think we should is a bit beyond me. I mean, your outrage has nothing to do with a cokehead not being reamed out by the system and everything to do with your hatred for all things conservative.

Not the Harper gang, but the Harper supporters on this site.

I suspect you will be hard pressed to find a single post defending the decisision to let him off. What you will find is postings from the Left saying that Jaffer got off because Harper was involved in some kind of mysterious conspiracy theory with Dalton Mcguinty - no doubt involving some kind of world-wide cabal of powerful Jewish capitalists - to get Jaffer off. and then posts by Conservatives saying No, he was let off because the cops screwed up some aspect of the case.

You forget Mulroney. Now there was proof positive of Conservative party corruption. A smoking gun so to speak.

You are indeed a blind partisan.

Mulroney was not a member of the Conservative Party - which did not exist at that time.

I'm personally waiting to see the end game from the RCMP.

On the other hand, smears and innuendo is the creedo of the Harper gang too. If you dont know what I mean by that I'll be glad to inform you on that one if you so wish.

Sure. Geterdone. I seriously doubt you'll find anything which goes beyond what the other parties are doing now or have been doing for years.