Guergis Resigns from Cabinet - RCMP Investigation into Alleged Miscond

I'm so piqued by what these allegations could be all about, I'm taking a perverse pleasure in the constant pounding the opposition is giving the Conservatives. Where are those loose lips when you need them most? Not that I think this will sink the Conservatives. It's just a fun show to watch.

I don't see it hurting the Tories either. It's pretty convoluted logic to try to link one (allegedly) errant minister with the government as a whole. Mind you, it does appear Baird is being dragged into this.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/liberals-look-for-links-between-jaffer-scandal-tory-brass/article1532192/

I still don't buy it. Even if Baird was the biggest crook around, he's too savvy a player to do it this way. Still, if too many more higher-ups can be tarred with the Jaffer-Guergis brush, it could be damaging. That's the problem with the appearance of impropriety. No actual impropriety need even happen for it to take its toll.

Real blame, if any of this turns out to be anything other than fanciful imaginings and innuendo, lies with that bragging coke-head Jaffer, who has thus far successfully embarrassed the PM, destroyed his wife's political career, brought a very high level Tory minister under at least some limited scrutiny, and has even done some heavy damage to the Ontario Crown Prosecutor's office. The guy is a toxic train wreck. Every party has these sorts of time bombs, though it's unusual for one who isn't actually an MP any more to be so damaging.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing but the Liberals trying to find slime and digging up dirt but coming up empty. I suppose it's all they have to do these days.

You're right that the Liberals, in old and multi-partisan political tradition, are trying to dig up slime. That doesn't change the incontestable truth that the Government is indeed slimy.

You're right that the Liberals, in old and multi-partisan political tradition, are trying to dig up slime. That doesn't change the incontestable truth that the Government is indeed slimy.

I heard on the radio this morning that Geurgis has been letting Jaffer use her government paid for car and driver to conduct his business dealings. More perks of being married to a cabinet minister I guess? Like getting your coke and impaired charges dropped?

I'm so piqued by what these allegations could be all about, I'm taking a perverse pleasure in the constant pounding the opposition is giving the Conservatives. Where are those loose lips when you need them most? Not that I think this will sink the Conservatives. It's just a fun show to watch.

Indeed, as am I. I can't help but wonder what does Mr. Harper know that would cause him to react so strongly to the situation. A minister resigning is no small matter, but being removed from caucus makes it all the more serious. Mr. Harper is not one to over react and he's anything if not circumspect in his political dealings. He wouldn't cast off a minister if their position weren't relatively indefensible. Clearly it’s serious enough to warrant such drastic counter measures, which just ignites one’s imagination all the more.

It’s unlikely to hurt the CPC over the long term though it does cast doubt on Mr. Harper’s ability to select ministers. This isn’t some CPC back bencher we’re talking about after all. I should hope they come clean with the allegations and soon, not simply because I’m insanely curious, but also because people’s imaginations and innuendo can do far more damage to the CPC then the truth ever could.

It’s unlikely to hurt the CPC over the long term though it does cast doubt on Mr. Harper’s ability to select ministers.

I'd say it was more about Harper hoping it would all go away. When Guergis' conduct at the airport came to light soon followed by her executive assistants scuzzbag actions, it was time to get her to step down. Ethics be damned says Stevie! He chose not to do anything but defend her. Bad judgement on his part.

Really dumb!

The Prime Ministers actions speak loudly enough.

Yes. Yes, they do.

But don't expect us to simply congratulate him for tossing her out after she became a laughingstock, and acknowledged possible criminal without recalling that he's the fellow who chose her in the first place, and up until scant days ago showed every sign of being completely satisfied with that choice.

It's not as though she appeared from nowhere, without history, reputation, or allegiance, unknown to any but God.

Edited by Molly

Nothing but the Liberals trying to find slime and digging up dirt but coming up empty. I suppose it's all they have to do these days.

Still doing damage control are we?

Isn't it nice to know that after having 3 months off, and barely back to work the Guergis and Jaffer are Sunning it on the taxpayers dime just running down the clock until she gets her pension.

Liberal? Don't make me laugh. The Liberals weren't making the phone calls and digging up dirt.

The Conservative poop floated to the top of the toilet and the Prime Minister could smell the stink this would leave on the government.

A quick call to the Holiday Vacations and he snookered a resignation over the phone and then a quick Caucus removal.

Now, the only dirt the Liberals are looking for is the Dirt the Prime Minister is withholding from the public.

What did he know and when did he know it?

I think the Third Party may be former workers of Helene's. They did report of Jaffer using her office for business and Harper didn't like it and had to make a long distnce call to Dominican Republican, were the couple has been since April 3rd. The press is doing an excellent job of getting the news out. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/chauffeur-claims-guergis-frequently-let-husband-use-government-car/article1532461/

The Prime Ministers actions speak loudly enough. Maybe people like shakeyhands et al should write a letter of complaint to Stephen Harper.

I'll wait for the next eletion and "write" him a letter in the form of an X next to anyone but him.

Have to be honest though, Harper did, once he knew he had to, act pretty quickly. Having said that, again I think it's just for optics. We'll have to wait for it all to come out.

I'll wait for the next eletion and "write" him a letter in the form of an X next to anyone but him.

Have to be honest though, Harper did, once he knew he had to, act pretty quickly. Having said that, again I think it's just for optics. We'll have to wait for it all to come out.

Optics? My local paper is owned by the Toronto Star group. Last Friday when the story was just coming out I couldn't help but notice how they devoted a full page to Helen and Rahim. At the top, beside the headline about Harper dumping her was another headline for an article asking "Is Harper Unfriendly to Women?"

It's like the old joke that stated if a particular someone found a cure for cancer they were just trying to steal doctors' jobs! Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

This sort of thing is why I've believed for years that the Star has an obvious bias!

I think the government is trying to avoid being associated with inside lobbying...Jaffer cannot lobby nor can he claim to have influence with government and the government claims Jaffer had no contacts/influence within the government...yet he and his associates have had meetings with government officials I believe Baird was one, and everyone involved is claiming these meetings were only personal in nature :rolleyes::lol: ...what we have here is a case of influence pedaling by someone who is not allowed to do so with government/cabinet members who know he isn't allowed to do so... all that is missing now is photo's of secret :ph34r: hotel room meetings and envelopes of cash being handed over...

what the government is doing by expelling Guergis is attempting to create distance between Jaffer and them but it's too late the media smells a rat and know nothing sells air time and papers like corruption and sex...

Edited by wyly

... well... except that the answer to that question would have to be a solid 'Yes', regardless of who's asking it, or in what context.

I'm betting that Harper now wishes he dropped Guergis when she was impersonating an asshole at the Charlottetown airport.

Harper turned down a second opportunity when he learned about Guergis' staffers writing complimentary letters about her to the newspapers.

Oy!

Edited by Born Free

This reminds me of the Mulroney Schrieber kinda stuff.

it's impossible to avoid the comparison... illegal lobbying, inappropriate use of government resources, characters with a shady past...and drugs,prostitutes not even Schrieber had those...this story has it all... Edited by wyly

it's impossible to avoid the comparison... illegal lobbying, inappropriate use of government resources, characters with a shady past...and drugs,prostitutes not even Schrieber had those...this story has it all...

First we had Chretien and his mob rule. Then we had the ethically challenged Mulroney. Here we go again...

If Helena Guergis or her advisors are smart, she may come out looking respectable. Of course, it all depends if Harper's allegations (whatever they may be) are true.

If Harper's allegations are true, then Guergis has no choice but to keep quiet. However, if she in anyway disagrees with Harper, she can play on the current speculation and actually challenge Harper in public forcing him to play his hand and showing us that once again the emperor no clothes.

1) I heard a sound bite on the news yesterday that the Ethics Commissioner is not going to investigate;

2) An interview with the other Independant MP says Harper need not have contacted the RCMP. I forgot the details :(

Guergis is being investigate while being part of the TORY government. The evidence so far is that the Prime Minister has ejected a member of the Tory Cabinet (that is the government you know and quite an impressive place in government) from the Caucus.

Which only shows that unlike Chretien, who not only accepted but encouraged corruption in his ministers Harper won't stand even the hint of illegality - even when it's not related to their ministreial position at all.

To each his own. Personally, I feel this incessent focus on minutia which doesn't affect the public at all only serves to show the intellectual bankruptcy of the combined opposition. Having no ideas of their own any better than what the Tories are doing they're reduced to frantic efforts at finding "scandal".