Guergis Resigns from Cabinet - RCMP Investigation into Alleged Miscond

Harper did call in the RCMP, then there must be a heck of a reason. If these two people have broken the law I want them punished. I hate corrupt politicians no matter their party.I hear that Iggy said ,Harper didn`t go far enough. Did Iggy wish an execution or just torture before the RCMP investigation?

As for those silly insinuations about Harper getting Rahim Jaffer off cocaine and drunk driving charges, once again I say your arguement is with the Ontario Provincial government. You know ,I think they are Liberals.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harper did call in the RCMP, then there must be a heck of a reason. If these two people have broken the law I want them punished. I hate corrupt politicians no matter their party.I hear that Iggy said ,Harper didn`t go far enough. Did Iggy wish an execution or just torture before the RCMP investigation?

As for those silly insinuations about Harper getting Rahim Jaffer off cocaine and drunk driving charges, once again I say your arguement is with the Ontario Provincial government. You know ,I think they are Liberals.

My initial thought is that he did it for the optics. Further distances the party from those individuals.

The actions of the husband are a matter of public record. Her actions will soon become a matter of public record. She may or may not have done something wrong, however at the moment we have not a shred of information surrounding any accusations made, or why the RCMP was called in. Until such time as we know, its all speculation and nothing more. That is a dangerous thing to be involved in political terms. Perhaps a reason for her to resign, or perhaps not...who initiated the resignation?

At any rate, the point is that the optics are bad for Harper. No matter what the outcome of events in question, its simply bad news for the government.

My initial thought is that he did it for the optics. Further distances the party from those individuals.

if he could Harper would send all his mp's home and duct tape all their mouths shut...he might as well since the PMO makes all the decisions

just for a laugh I'd like to see the result of Rob Anders being promoted to cabinet and be given the foreign affairs post...ya it'll never happen it's just a silly fantasy I have B), Canadians need to see some of the buffoons they elect embarrass themselves on the world stage...

The actions of the husband are a matter of public record. Her actions will soon become a matter of public record. She may or may not have done something wrong, however at the moment we have not a shred of information surrounding any accusations made, or why the RCMP was called in. Until such time as we know, its all speculation and nothing more. That is a dangerous thing to be involved in political terms. Perhaps a reason for her to resign, or perhaps not...who initiated the resignation?

At any rate, the point is that the optics are bad for Harper. No matter what the outcome of events in question, its simply bad news for the government.

well if it's true that she is no longer in caucus no matter how they spin it, it wasn't a resignation

if he could Harper would send all his mp's home and duct tape all their mouths shut...he might as well since the PMO makes all the decisions
Wyly, you present the simple-minded, unoriginal and false perception of Harper, repeated by the urban English media and by many leftists: "Harper is a dictator who wants to silence everyone."

In reality, and on the contrary, this little episode confirms once again that Harper will stand by caucus members and cabinet members. He has done this numerous times in the past.

In this scandal as others, Harper has sent an important message to his caucus (and cabinet) that he will not abandon them; he's loyal. He'll stand beside them well beyond what seems reasonable.

That's an important reputation for a politician.

-----

There's another angle to this scandal. Guergis' behavior so far is evidence of bad judgment but there is no evidence so far of stealing money. Her husband bragged about having contacts but that was apparently hubris, and having contacts is a step removed from stealing.

Now, compare the four years of Harper's government with almost any government Canadians have ever had in any jurisdiction.

I know that this fact is hard for the fanatical Harper-haters to digest but his government is remarkable because of its basic honesty. If Guergis is the first example to the contrary, then I'd still call Harper Mr. Clean. Indeed, one reason some hate Harper so much is because the guy is so straight.

Edited by August1991

Wyly, you present the simple-minded, unoriginal and false perception of Harper, repeated by the urban English media and by many leftists: "Harper is a dictator who wants to silence everyone."

In reality, and on the contrary, this little episode confirms once again that Harper will stand by caucus members and cabinet members. He has done this numerous times in the past.

In this scandal as others, Harper has sent an important message to his caucus (and cabinet) that he will not abandon them; he's loyal. He'll stand beside them well beyond what seems reasonable.

That's an important reputation for a politician.

-----

There's another angle to this scandal. Guergis' behavior so far is evidence of bad judgment but there is no evidence so far of stealing money. Her husband bragged about having contacts but that was apparently hubris, and having contacts is a step removed from stealing.

Now, compare the four years of Harper's government with almost any government Canadians have ever had in any jurisdiction.

I know that this fact is hard for the fanatical Harper-haters to digest but his government is remarkable because of its basic honesty. If Guergis is the first example to the contrary, then I'd still call Harper Mr. Clean. Indeed, one reason some hate Harper so much is because the guy is so straight.

Bahahaha, alright then.

Come on August, you know that nothing is said that isn't approved by the PMO.

Harper call in the RCMP because he had to .. parliamentary ethics commissioner was pebbly going to do that anyway!!

if he didn't its a pr implosion!!.

Do you think Chretien allowed MP's to rattle off whatever they felt like it to the media? If you did you're incredibly naive. That man was ruled his caucus with an iron fist don't kid yourself, he was in politics for what? 30 years before he was PM, you think he some sort of cuddly nice guy? He pushed one guy by the face in a media scrum. Legend had it he did it to more than MP who chose to speak his or her mind during a meeting. The don't call it the Shawinigan handshake for nothing.

Harper call in the RCMP because he had to .. parliamentary ethics commissioner was pebbly going to do that anyway!!

if he didn't its a pr implosion!!.

I enjoy learning that every time the PM does something like this it's because he has some sort of angle to play but when a Liberal or NDP member that does it's heralded as some great noble coup...give me a break.

Edited by Mr.Canada

I wonder what the new allegations are.

If they have nothing to do with government, then they're none of our business, really. Let the police deal with it. If she goes to prison, then certainly her position of MP ought to be removed from her. But even then, her private crimes are hers to know. The only time we need to know about it is if she should commit the crime in her capacity as MP, such as by using her governmental position in some criminal manner.

P.S. no, I'm not some Conservative Party hack. Anyone who's read my posts in the past knows that I criticize all party members equally and would be saying the same thing about her regardless of her party affiliation.

If they have nothing to do with government, then they're none of our business, really. Let the police deal with it. If she goes to prison, then certainly her position of MP ought to be removed from her. But even then, her private crimes are hers to know. The only time we need to know about it is if she should commit the crime in her capacity as MP, such as by using her governmental position in some criminal manner.

P.S. no, I'm not some Conservative Party hack. Anyone who's read my posts in the past knows that I criticize all party members equally and would be saying the same thing about her regardless of her party affiliation.

The Tories will find someone new to run their in that riding. It's a strong Tory riding with 55% of the vote last election, almost as strong as my own with 61%. So that basically means that anyone can run under the Tory banner and win. I'm sure Harper will go with anyone rather go with Helena again. She's done.

Sez who?

If that helps you sleep better at night...

At any rate, I don't really hold the Tories at fault. They're like any organization, and there are bound to be bad apples.

I'm amazed. This federal government is not like any organization.

Stephen Harper is a modern Mackenzie King.

http://www.library.utoronto.ca/canpoetry/scott_fr/poem5.htm

exerpt:

He seemed to be in the centre

Because we had no centre,

No vision

To pierce the smoke-screen of his politics.

Truly he will be remembered

Wherever men honour ingenuity,

Ambiguity, inactivity, and political longevity.

Let us raise up a temple

To the cult of mediocrity,

Do nothing by halves

Which can be done by quarters.

Edited by Molly

Of course it is. And it's not the government, it's the party. Every political party has its share of wingnuts, fanatics and yes, outright crooks. Although I still don't quite understand the accusations about the mortgage.

He more resembles Jean Chretien to me.

Sez who?

'sez' a lot of folks...

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/241535

http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/defencewatch/archive/2008/02/15/conservatives-tighten-media-gag-order-for-the-canadian-forces.aspx

http://www.dominionpaper.ca/canadian_news/2006/03/17/event_canc.html

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060526/mounties_wedding_060526/20060526?hub=Canada

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/345997

and thats just a very quick search, given a more extensive search I could come up ith lots of examples.

to deny that the PMO pre approves almost everything that party officials or MP's plan to say is dishonest. Any one that has gone against this has been dealt with in one way or another.