Obama to expand offshore oil drilling

Well, what's another broken promise? Ahhh well.

Obama opens new oil drilling offshore in climate drive

(Reuters) - President Barack Obama unveiled plans on Wednesday for a limited expansion of U.S. offshore oil and gas drilling in an effort to win Republican support for new proposals to fight climate change.

----------

Opening up parts of the U.S. Atlantic coast, Alaska and possibly offshore Florida to exploration is Obama's latest effort to woo legislators needed to pass a climate bill before mid-term elections in November.

Some senior Republicans in Congress called the drilling announcement a step in the right direction but said Obama did not go far enough. Environmental groups and some congressional liberals condemned the plan for endangering wildlife and coastal areas merely to give oil companies more profits.

Obama, who needs bipartisan support to pass a bill that would set limits on U.S. greenhouse gas emissions, cautioned that expanding drilling was not a catch-all answer to U.S. energy challenges.

"Drilling alone can't come close to meeting our long-term energy needs, and for the sake of our planet and our energy independence, we need to begin the transition to cleaner fuels now," Obama said at Andrews Air Force Base in nearby Maryland.

"I know that we can come together to pass comprehensive energy and climate legislation that's going to foster new energy -- new industries, create millions of new jobs, protect our planet, and help us become more energy independent."

Obama has made energy security and reducing U.S. reliance on foreign oil a key policy goal, and Republican support for drilling -- exemplified by cries of "drill, baby, drill!" at presidential campaign rallies for Republican Senator John McCain in 2008 -- has made offshore exploration a key bargaining chip in trying to get his energy legislation passed.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62T06520100331

From what I've read the reserves available in the newly opened areas are not gonna change anything. The Atlantic coast is not rich in oil. The Gulf has decent quantities, but drilling is already allowed there as long as it is at least a certain distance off shore, and this change only reduces that distance to 200 km. Oil companies are not exactly excited at the prospect of pouring billions into new explorations of this thin strip of the Gulf, only to potentially have it closed to drilling again the next time the political winds change.

I think this announcement is more to do with politics than with really affecting the energy situation.

From what I've read the reserves available in the newly opened areas are not gonna change anything. The Atlantic coast is not rich in oil. The Gulf has decent quantities, but drilling is already allowed there as long as it is at least a certain distance off shore, and this change only reduces that distance to 200 km. Oil companies are not exactly excited at the prospect of pouring billions into new explorations of this thin strip of the Gulf, only to potentially have it closed to drilling again the next time the political winds change.

I think this announcement is more to do with politics than with really affecting the energy situation.

Ahhhh...,yes! The whimsical nature of government is not an encouragement to action in the business world. Guarantees will be sought in the form of privilege, favour and corporate welfare before any drilling occurs - I wonder if Obama already had someone in mind?

Edited by Pliny

Another broken promise, but as we can see on the responses so far Obama fans don't really care. Last month was an announcement for 8 billion in guarantees to build a nuclear plant and again there wasn't much outrage. He's moved into Afghanistan in a big way as well and Gitmo is still open, but the left gives him a pass.

The only response of note is that punked is taking names. Is this the level of integrity that Obama has reduced the left to?

I agree that Obama tries to hard to be bi-partisan and appease the Republicans. While it's funny to watch all the Republicans who chanted "drill, baby, drill" trying to find a way---any way---to criticize him, I think he's moving the centre to the right when he makes these concessions.

Screw the Republicans, I say. They lost power.

So you want him not to drill? Gotcha I will remember that if you support republicans in the future that support drilling.

Did i say i want him to drill? No. What i said is that he broke another promise. A lot of these broken promises seem to fall right into the Republicans' wheelhouse. But maybe thats because the Republicans just have the opposite views of most everything Obama has said.

I agree that Obama tries to hard to be bi-partisan and appease the Republicans. While it's funny to watch all the Republicans who chanted "drill, baby, drill" trying to find a way---any way---to criticize him, I think he's moving the centre to the right when he makes these concessions.

This is a really good issue to debate. I wouldn't say he's trying to appease the Republicans per say, i think he's trying to appease the large number of voters who didn't vote for him. He's trying to be everyone's President, not just the Prez of the people who voted for him. That's kind of refreshing and in a way honourable, but at the same time it shows some weakness because heaven knows the Republicans almost certainly return the favour next time they are elected.

Maybe in 20 years there only be 2 center-leaning parties, and all voters will have to decide is which candidate has the better haircut.

Don't worry, they're gonna have plenty of power come November! :lol:

Anyways, as usual, after further inspection, this is just another one of Obama's half-truths. Fact is, that when he came into office, he basically banned all offshore drilling. Now he's decided to give a back a small percentage of the area he had previously outlawed. But it's not for the sake of drilling, its an attempt to get votes for his upcoming cap and tax bill. Oh he's a sly one that Obama is, gotta give him credit. :)

You miss the issue. Gitmo. Offshore drilling. Nuclear power. Unemployment. Obama is not keeping his word and the left doesn't care. This hypocrisy is helping the right gain momentum as we head into midterm season.

I understand they're closing Gitmo. I don't recall Obama making promises about unemployment or offshore drilling or nuclear power. Can you refresh my memory?

Ya in fact I specifically remember hearing in one of the debates leading up to the election that Obama supported nuclear power.

True...but the tree huggers who voted for him didn't think he meant it! ;)

Nuclear power should be a tree hugger's best friend... if only they weren't so dumb ;p Actually, even the founder of Greenpeace, Patrick Moore, now realizes the benefits and potential of nuclear power.

Honestly I look on nuclear power as a non-partisan issue. The fact that it must be a huge part of the solution for both our energy needs and environmental concerns should be so mind-numbingly obvious that neither party can escape it.

Nuclear power should be a tree hugger's best friend... if only they weren't so dumb ;p Actually, even the founder of Greenpeace, Patrick Moore, now realizes the benefits and potential of nuclear power.

...only in the face of a new bogey man...."climate change caused by anthropogenic CO2 forcing".

Honestly I look on nuclear power as a non-partisan issue. The fact that it must be a huge part of the solution for both our energy needs and environmental concerns should be so mind-numbingly obvious that neither party can escape it.

Not if you're a true tree hugger and want to limit supply and stop sprawl. "Live simply so that others may simply live." LOL!

...only in the face of a new bogey man...."climate change caused by anthropogenic CO2 forcing".

Shrug, people's reasons can be their own, so long as they eventually do the smart thing.

Not if you're a true tree hugger and want to limit supply and stop sprawl. "Live simply so that others may simply live." LOL!

Yeah I can't stand that sentiment either. I'm all about technological progress and development, as you've probably noticed.

Edited by Bonam