CBC Comments Section is Nothing but a Harper Bash Fest

Smallc

The CBC itself acknowledged as much 18 months ago, and promised to bring in a wider range of opinions. I'm hard-pressed to see any evidence that anything has changed at all.

-k

CBC has Kevin O'Leary doing double duty on the den, and on the Lang and O'Leary exchange. If you want to widen the range of opinions on CBC, this is how you do it.

Which unfortunately is the ultimate in irony considering Kevin O'Leary's stance on government spending yet appearing on CBC.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CBC itself acknowledged as much 18 months ago, and promised to bring in a wider range of opinions. I'm hard-pressed to see any evidence that anything has changed at all.

That ruling only had to do with the editorials on their website.

CBC has Kevin O'Leary doing double duty on the den, and on the Lang and O'Leary exchange. If you want to widen the range of opinions on CBC, this is how you do it.

Which unfortunately is the ultimate in irony considering Kevin O'Leary's stance on government spending yet appearing on CBC.

:)

At any rate, you're right; O'Leary is a good addition.

And in fact, he's far prefreable to Mark Steyn (whom someone else here suggested); because O'Leary, while extremely opinionated, doesn't seem to waste everybody's time talking out of his ass, like Mr. Steyn (a monumental ignoramus) does.

That ruling only had to do with the editorials on their website.

It wasn't a ruling but a promise by the publisher. But you're correct, the promise was made only in regards to CBCnews.ca and not the CBC as a whole.

So, this new and balanced outlook amounts to ... Kevin O'Leary? I confess I don't read the CBC website often enough to know whether they've improved things. I listen to CBC 1 radio most mornings, and it still sounds like the same old same old.

-k

here is a partial answer:

I bet they are.

They are pre moderated to keep hate speech etc out. There are plenty of moronic right wingers posting there regularly so you right wing MLW posters should fit right in. Just don't be surprised when the majority of posters, like the majority of Canadians give your stupid opinions a big thumbs-down.

I'm really skeptical of the premise that the majority of the CBC Comments posters are representative of the majority of Canadians.

-k

Gosh, no...they have their regulars, too...all seeking to change the world one comment at a time.

:lol:

Yes....they define themselves as NOT American.

Some occasionally seem to, though it's a lot less important than you appear to think. We don't sit around thinking about America as much as you might wish. (And you received this "insight" itself from Canadians; it's not your own).

But I meant is there any organ analogous to the CBC--say, a media organization--that is "representative of the majority of Canadians."

Some occasionally seem to, though it's a lot less important than you appear to think. We don't sit around thinking about America as much as you might wish. (And you received this "insight" itself from Canadians; it's not your own).

There is much evidence to the contrary from Canadian media, where the manifestation of all things American is relentless up to and including CRTC laws to stem the Yankee onslaught.

But I meant is there any organ analogous to the CBC--say, a media organization--that is "representative of the majority of Canadians."

Use to be...the 84 year old Canadian Association of Broadcasters (CAB) folded last month.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

There is much evidence to the contrary from Canadian media, where the manifestation of all things American is relentless up to and including CRTC laws to stem the Yankee onslaught.

So...the "media," which is here cited as not being representative of the Canadian majority, is now, according to you, representative of the Canadian majority.

Use to be...the 84 year old Canadian Association of Broadcasters (CAB) folded last month.

And they're "representative of the Canadian majority" for...some reason....unstated.

So...the "media," which is here cited as not being representative of the Canadian majority, is now, according to you, representative of the Canadian majority.

Media is representative of a plurality, at least as best can be done in a Balkanized Canada. Hell, even Parliament doesn't represent a majority of Canadians.

And they're "representative of the Canadian majority" for...some reason....unstated.

Yes, that reason being content consumption in primary and secondary media markets and channels.

They are pre moderated to keep hate speech etc out. There are plenty of moronic right wingers posting there regularly so you right wing MLW posters should fit right in. Just don't be surprised when the majority of posters, like the majority of Canadians give your stupid opinions a big thumbs-down.

MLW, for example, does not permit hate speech and has no need at all for 'pre-moderation'

A political forum where I used to moderate does not 'pre-moderate', posts can be read after and deleted, and the poster can be disciplined if necessary.

I doubt that is the reason for pre-moderation at CBC. The purpose is censorship, of course. Babble does the same thing, but after the fact.

Yes, this comments section is enough to have changed my mind on the CBC. We don't need it as a Crown Corporation anymore. Their journalistic quality has gone down the tubes. Now, does that mean I think the money that goes to the CBC should be redirected away from Canadian culture and entertainment? No, I think that the money should be given out in grants earned by all of the private broadcasters (which the CBC would be) to continue to promote good Canadian programming such as Flashpoint.

Yes, this comments section is enough to have changed my mind on the CBC. We don't need it as a Crown Corporation anymore. Their journalistic quality has gone down the tubes. Now, does that mean I think the money that goes to the CBC should be redirected away from Canadian culture and entertainment? No, I think that the money should be given out in grants earned by all of the private broadcasters (which the CBC would be) to continue to promote good Canadian programming such as Flashpoint.

Keep following the light, your almost there...

Saskatchewan has their own culture, no government dollars necessary. Why does Canada need gov't dollars for culture as a whole?

What is it with you and this Saskatchewan worship? It really isn't that exciting. We need to promote Canadian culture because of where we live. First, we have a small market, and second, we live beside a giant market that produces more content than any other in the world.

What is it with you and this Saskatchewan worship? It really isn't that exciting. We need to promote Canadian culture because of where we live. First, we have a small market, and second, we live beside a giant market that produces more content than any other in the world.

Saskatchewan is on the cusp to become one of the richest provinces in Canada. When the economy gets back on track, the amount of hydrocarbons, potash, uranium, agriculture and other natural resources, will rival the Alberta boom.

The Saskatchewan people promote their culture very proudly, no need of government assistance, bunny hugs, the color green and pilsner beer anyone? That is not going away, no matter how much "red" from central canada keeps coming in on Canadian TV. SK lives in close proximity to a giant market that produces more content than any other in Canada (Ontario). As far as I'm concerned, Canadians from all over are quite proficient at portraying their various cultures without need of the government.

I'm just not sure you get it. Yes, the provinces have their own culture, but there is a shared Canadian culture that needs to be explored, and that can be difficult to do without federal government support. It's also hard to produce good TV without money, and the market in Canada isn't big enough. On the other side, it's hard to get other markets to buy your TV if it isn't good, so support from the government is important.

Also, the news gathering organizations of CTVGlobemedia and Canwest aren't big enough. The government would need to support that if it were to stop funding CBC.

And yes, Saskatchewan has a lot of money, but I don't really find that miraculous. They are lucky to be placed where they are, just as Alberta and Newfoundland and Labrador are.

Edited by Smallc

I'm just not sure you get it. Yes, the provinces have their own culture, but there is a shared Canadian culture that needs to be explored, and that can be difficult to do without federal government support. It's also hard to produce good TV without money, and the market in Canada isn't big enough. On the other side, it's hard to get other markets to buy your TV if it isn't good, so support from the government is important.

Did you not watch the crowd at the olympics. Looks like shared culture to me. And not a penny from the gov't. As for good TV, look for investors and try and get a show to fly in the states. The only gov't support should come in the form of tax breaks. Cancon, and tax dollars screw over Canadians.

Also, the news gathering organizations of CTVGlobemedia and Canwest aren't big enough. The government would need to support that if it were to stop funding CBC.

If CTVGlobemedia can't compete with the big boys down in the US, let them fail, and let the US networks come into Canada, they have local stations as well.

And yes, Saskatchewan has a lot of money, but I don't really find that miraculous. They are lucky to be placed where they are, just as Alberta and Newfoundland and Labrador are.

As lucky as Quebec and Ontario too.