Discussion of Canadian democracy

I fail to see why this model of local/regional co-management and planning couldn't be modified and made to work on just about any domestic issue currently in need of a "way forward".

Well, I agree. There's still hope for our country and that hope is that with functional, active and vibrant local and regional communities, dinosaur style federal politicking would eventually drive itself out of all relevence (and as a consequence, existence).

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a number of things that could be done to improve Canadian democracy, and a few of them could be implemented immediately.

One of these is to place the minutes of cabinet meetings online within 24 hours instead of keeping them secret for 30 years. Sweden already does this and certainly Canada could follow.

A second is to get rid of all the nonsense that occurs in the House of Commons. Get rid of the jerks who continually interrupt speakers and make them apologize before they are readmitted. If the US Congress can show this courtesy, certainly Canada should be able to as well.

Require that all lobbyists place their presentations online so that the public can what they are actually attempting to get the government to do.

Others are more difficult, but could still be implemented. Go to proportional voting instead of plurality voting, or at the very least do what the French do and require that all elected official receive at least 51% of the vote.

Get rid of the Senate - it really serves no useful purpose and Canadians do not need another elected body to delay legislation.

A second is to get rid of all the nonsense that occurs in the House of Commons. Get rid of the jerks who continually interrupt speakers and make them apologize before they are readmitted. If the US Congress can show this courtesy, certainly Canada should be able to as well.

The US Congress doesn't have question period. That's the only time the stuff you;re talking about happens in Parliament...and with the Senate again... :rolleyes:

The US Congress doesn't have question period. That's the only time the stuff you;re talking about happens in Parliament...and with the Senate again... :rolleyes:

Fun "stuff"...here's one of my Question Period favorites....plus I always get a kick out of the inset for the hearing impaired and the fumbling with earphones.

Fun "stuff"...here's one of my Question Period favorites....plus I always get a kick out of the inset for the hearing impaired and the fumbling with earphones.

Speaking of which, there is nothing more aggravating than trying to follow a conversation that's forever switching back and forth between two languages. It's not the language barrier that makes it hard for the hard of hearing but the fact that you have to listen to two people speaking two languages at the same time.

Why on Earth they don't turn the volume all the way down on the speaker being translated is a mystery to me, just like what they're saying almost half the time is.

...Why on Earth they don't turn the volume all the way down on the speaker being translated is a mystery to me, just like what they're saying almost half the time is.

That's a good idea, but it would detract from the "Monty Python" like entertainment value. Even more can be crammed onto the TV screen with closed captioning....better than Keystone Cops! :lol:

Speaking of which, there is nothing more aggravating than trying to follow a conversation that's forever switching back and forth between two languages. It's not the language barrier that makes it hard for the hard of hearing but the fact that you have to listen to two people speaking two languages at the same time.

Why on Earth they don't turn the volume all the way down on the speaker being translated is a mystery to me, just like what they're saying almost half the time is.

I actually LIKE that, in fact watching CPAC constantly is what taught me how to speak French. I took French in school for years, but I learned more from watching cpac and translation then I ever learned in French class.

There are a number of things that could be done to improve Canadian democracy, and a few of them could be implemented immediately.

One of these is to place the minutes of cabinet meetings online within 24 hours instead of keeping them secret for 30 years. Sweden already does this and certainly Canada could follow.

Require that all lobbyists place their presentations online so that the public can what they are actually attempting to get the government to do.

Others are more difficult, but could still be implemented. Go to proportional voting instead of plurality voting, or at the very least do what the French do and require that all elected official receive at least 51% of the vote.

Get rid of the Senate - it really serves no useful purpose and Canadians do not need another elected body to delay legislation.

I will give my full support to your suggestions.

However, I can decide nothing. The people who can decide things may not happy with your suggestions. Everyone of them may have some personal concerns when they deal with things. In most time, they care about Canadian people only on their mouths when they need vote. Just think about it has taken 4 years the Ontario ombudsman still has not be granted to investigate CAS cases after so many protests. The democracy is basically a lie.