Massachusetts Senate Race

That's an interesting question. It is hard not to arrive at the conclusion that in some way, this election is a referendum on Obama. Despite saying that he wouldn't go to Massachusetts, then he did. He injected himself into the race.

Now then, if he gains on the upside - does that he mean he loses on the downside too? Or is this a call option (Clinton style) where Obama gets the credit for a win but can walk away from a loss?

Dunno.

Anyway, it seems to me that Obama and the White House have already lost. This vote should not be so close. (Just as the votes in NJ and West Virginia should not have gone against the Democrats.)

Obama is no fool and has a refined sense of the possible. I suspect that whatever happens in Massachusetts, he will retool his tactics in preparation for 2010 and 2012. For the moment, I don't think he will jettison the (leftist) legacy of his mother. For the moment, he thinks he can sell the steak - he just has to find the right sizzle.

My personal opinion is if Martha loses Obama needs to go more FDR then Clinton. Run to the left and act the way the people who voted for you expect you too. Clinton went to the Center and he did a really good job there but you know what I am hoping for.

If Martha wins I think it gives Obama a little more political capital to waste.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're getting suicidal at Democratic Underground (link to thread).Quote from thread:

15. You know, I really wish you wouldn't post this so the repubs and lurkers can see it. I for one don't want to see supposedly negative for our candidate.

DU makes DailyKos look moderate. Even they're expecting a loss.

Boo hoo

When Intrade was calling the 2008 election for Obama, all the conservatives on this forum considered it a ridiculous source. One even called them "degenerate gamblers." I'm glad it's at least credible when it favours conservatives. :lol:
Bubbler, I was one of those posters who questioned Intrade on the grounds that a politial party could move the market if it felt that Intrade's price would have an influence on the electoral result. The Intrade market is thin.

Anyway, it has Brown winning by a large margin now. Link Note too how his price has risen over the past few days.

That's relative. You make Rush look moderate. :lol:

And this man makes us all look moderate! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlfGjGBrNKg

Yes, of course, Brown is just a homophobic racist who supports violence against women. :rolleyes: He's probably also an anti-semetic, drug-dealing, dog and cat hater. Oh, and he probably caused the earthquake in Haiti as well.

I still can't believe that some people in this forum actually post this guy's comments, as if they should be observed and respected. :blink:

They guy is a full blown Misogynist you can tell from this one statement alone how much he hates women.

LOL, God bless you guys, you guys are hilarious! Yeah, he hates women, hates his wife, and definitely hates his daughters. You can just tell. :rolleyes:

Anyways, on to real issues. Anyone have any real exit poll data? I've read some initial data suggesting Brown could not only win, but win big. But I have a hard time believing it.

LOL, God bless you guys, you guys are hilarious! Yeah, he hates women, hates his wife, and definitely hates his daughters. You can just tell. :rolleyes:

Anyways, on to real issues. Anyone have any real exit poll data? I've read some initial data suggesting Brown could not only win, but win big. But I have a hard time believing it.

I said he hates women Shady, he thinks them second class. We had this thinking from almost everyone until the 1900s, in fact women weren't even People in Canada until the 1930s. Does that mean people hated their wife's and daughters? No it meant they thought they were more important as people then them. This 1800 century thinking and we see on the video that Scott Brown is all for that.

There are no Exit polls in the field. Although Boston's turn out is 130% more then expected and voter turn could reach as high as 60% in the state. What does that mean? Nothing. I also heard Rasmussen last poll had Martha up by 2% so he refused to release it.

Edited by punked

I just got a call from Family on the ground there and some fishy stuff is going on. Apparently in some places people are being handed ballots that are already marked in favor of Scott Brown. I don;t want to shout Acorn just yet but this is serious if true.

My cousin sent me this story.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/cambridge/news/x201791061/State-officials-investigating-Cambridge-ballot-pre-marked-for-Brown-in-Senate-election

Edited by punked

I have no idea where you guys are getting your "Scott Brown hates women" meme from. But for the sake of moving past this, and on to actual discussion of the impending senate race, let's just assume that Brown hates women, blacks, asians, hispanics, all immigrants, all illegal immigrants, poor people, old people, the mentally and physically handicapped, puppies, kittens, and even hamsters.

I have no idea where you guys are getting your "Scott Brown hates women" meme from. But for the sake of moving past this, and on to actual discussion of the impending senate race, let's just assume that Brown hates women, blacks, asians, hispanics, all immigrants, all illegal immigrants, poor people, old people, the mentally and physically handicapped, puppies, kittens, and even hamsters.

It is his I'm a man not a women campaign which may have worked.....that along with the cheating. Although I hear Boston has had 100,000 voters show up to the polls as of 4 pm. Remember when Romney won only 160,000 people or 50% voted in that dem strong hold. I don't know if Brown voters are Romney voters they seem like a different breed.

It's still far too early to start drawing any conclusions but I found this Washington Post interpretation of the past year or so article humourous:

Many Americans saw the 2008 presidential election largely as a repudiation of George W. Bush's presidency, with Obama as the fresh new leader promising to overhaul health care and undo a painful recession with hefty government spending.

But the strong showing 14 months later by GOP Senate nominee Scott Brown - in liberal Massachusetts, of all places - suggests that many voters still harbor suspicions or outright resentment of the federal government, no matter who's in charge. The policies of Obama and a Democratic-controlled Congress seem to have done only a little to ease those feelings.

Link

Repudiation? Bush may have been low in the polls but there were many things about him that Americans liked. Americans certainly didn't vote to have extreme left wing policies in Washington. Obama won 52.9% of the vote. That's hardly a landslide.

Edited by August1991