Your opinion on the War on Drugs

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to hear other peoples opinion on the war on drugs.

Personally i think it's stupid, it's creating more problems then it is solving.

Yes, if there is no war on drugs, lots of gun related crimes will be vanished, and drugs will become cheaper so that more people can afford it.

But the health of lots of youth may sacrificed.

Why cannot solve this problem with education?

Because politicians want win in election, and business people want to earn money, they have no moral to be serve as models to young people, they have no way to educate them and they don't care about that.

All politicians can do is with threat, cops, jails, with violence similar with criminals prefer to use.

Guest TrueMetis

Agreed....no illegal Canadian drugs for those damn Americans. Let them get their own illegal drugs! :P

Hey if they want to buy some BC bud let them. It good for the dealers they make more money that way. I'm amazed how much Americans are willing to pay sometimes.

Guest TrueMetis

Pro legalizing what, crack, crystal meth?

All of it. Then an actual study can be doneto determine how toxic they are, and it can be standardizied so that the assholes aren't just using whatever the hell they have lying around to cut it. If after that some of them are found to be incredibly toxic make them illegal again.

Edited by TrueMetis

Too much of our economy is dependent on the black market to make any radical changes to the existing legislation. We are in a very unstable recession and eliminating an aspect of the economy that creates enormous liquidity would hurt us all.

If you don't live in Mexico, the current system is functioning as a relatively stable and reliable investment opportunity for a lot of people. Why mess with one of the few good things we have left?

In the name of The War on Drugs, human rights are continuously violated, environments damaged and prisons filled with law abiding citizens whose crimes consist merely of possessing illegal narcotics for personal use. Canada's scarce resources are being exhausted for a cause that is both hypocritical and an affront to individual, civil and human rights. These resources could be spent on education, health care, economic development and/or tax reduction. There is also the question of health care in drugs, a government run narcotics program (such as the SAQ in quebec) would severely decrease the number of overdoses caused by the improper use of drugs. Not to mention that globally, injection drug use is a major source of new HIV infections. Ironically, the majority of the population considers drug dependance an illness, yet we treat it like a criminal offense. The fact remains that it's time for Canada to give up this inhumane attempt to abolish and destroy our individual rights.

Guest American Woman

Canada has a war on drugs too? I didn't realize that. So what's being done, and what problems is it creating?

These things take time. I think that both the American and Canadian governments seek some way out, yet both hold fast to that high moral turf.

I think it'll still take decades myself. Now the tobacco companies are suing the government for some relief on the grounds that as willing partners in crime they too should bear the blame and the cost for killing so many people. I understand FAS sufferers are likewise lining up to sue the government for the harm its caused by selling alcohol.

I suspect the next excuse for maintaining prohibition will be the governments fear of being held liable for allowing people to harm themselves. They'll certainly lose their grip on the high moral turf but that's only skin deep. The low moral turf extends right to the core and they could easily spend the next hundred years or more burrowing through that.

I'm convinced the War on Getting High will still be with us for a very long long time yet.

In the meantime would you like a drink? And feel free to smoke em if you've got em'...outside of course.

I think the war on drugs is an abysmal failure and bottomless money hole. Countless lives and dollars have been wasted, in an effort that has only exacerbated the problem, not helped at all. Yet there is now a multi-billion dollar industry around this, and that makes it virtually impossible to stop. There's money to be made here, thousands of jobs are involved, a major part of the economic engine of the United States. And now that the WOD has been tied to "security", due to concerns of the new double-speak word "Narco-terrorists", it's been firmly embedded into the system. We in Canada are complete fools for allowing our government to take us down the exact same road, with the DEA training squads coming north to help us set up our own little war, complete with US style surveillance, framing, sting operations and mega prisons. I support government regulation, that would be more like the Canadian style.

It will never happen, until our friends to the south decide to let it go. And that's not likely, for above reasons.

I suspect the next excuse for maintaining prohibition will be the governments fear of being held liable for allowing people to harm themselves.

Just put some warning stickers on the drugs, as they do with smokes. Do it for alcohol too. It's not really a deterrent, just protection against liability.

Just put some warning stickers on the drugs, as they do with smokes. Do it for alcohol too. It's not really a deterrent, just protection against liability.

I don't know, we have guests sign waivers before we take them out to sea but apparently its mostly for show. Our lawyers have little or no real faith in them. I suspect warning stickers offer no more and probably even less legal protection for anyone displaying them.

The only way the state can get out of the straights its in is to throw up its hands and declare its not responsible for the risky things people engage in, people are. We'd probably also need a supreme court to agree.

It seems the government has to sue us for unreasonably expecting it to protect us from everything we do.

Edited by eyeball

Your government wouldn't kick us in those same balls if we did grow a pair?

So what if it did...."grow a pair" means standing up for what you believe in, and accepting the consequences. Of course, it's far easier to keep taking the money instead....so that is what Canada will do.

All of it. Then an actual study can be doneto determine how toxic they are, and it can be standardizied so that the assholes aren't just using whatever the hell they have lying around to cut it. If after that some of them are found to be incredibly toxic make them illegal again.

You don't think studies have been done on how toxic they are? Anyone who produced those drugs legally would get their asses sued off by their victims which means they would still be produced illegally. We already have a system where drugs which are potentially dangerous are sold legally. It's called by prescription. If you could show me a doctor who would prescribe cocaine, meth or crack, I would show you a dangerous quack.

Guest TrueMetis

You don't think studies have been done on how toxic they are? Anyone who produced those drugs legally would get their asses sued off by their victims which means they would still be produced illegally. We already have a system where drugs which are potentially dangerous are sold legally. It's called by prescription. If you could show me a doctor who would prescribe cocaine, meth or crack, I would show you a dangerous quack.

Most of the studies give different results because what they use in drugs is not standardized. I've seen studies that say weed is horrible for you and others that say it does barely anything. I've seen ones that say the same for coke, heroin, and even meth. Alcohol is pretty horrible for people and I'm willing to bet it kills more people than most drugs combined.

So until drugs are stadardized and then tested you cannot say they are that bad for you.