Lou Dodds quits CNN

Nat

Lou Dobbs, the CNN anchor who drew controversy with his coverage of illegal immigrants and questions about President Barack Obama’s citizenship, left the cable-news network after 27 years.

Dobbs, whose ratings declined after the 2008 presidential race, announced his departure on last night’s show. John King will host a daily political program at 7 p.m., CNN said today. Dobbs, 64, said he will weigh options and continue to discuss immigration, the economy and the middle class.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=a4PEHSSqdurA

Good riddance to xenophobe Lou Dobbs.

Lou Dobbs isn't a xenophobe. Do you enjoy mischaracterizing the perspectives of those whose opinions you don't like? Regardless, Lou will obviously move on to bigger and better things. I think he'll end up on Fox with a bigger salary and a much larger audience. Lou perhaps began to feel out-of-place with the increasing Obama love-fest that emanates from CNN. He really is the only guy on the network who is ever critical of the Obama administration.

Although I found the non-stop reporting of illegal immigration repetitive, Lou Dobbs has always been spot on - illegal immigration is a massive financial burden and national security risk. There's nothing controversial or incorrect about that simple observation.

Lou Dobbs isn't a xenophobe. Do you enjoy mischaracterizing the perspectives of those whose opinions you don't like? Regardless, Lou will obviously move on to bigger and better things.

I say again....Lou Dobbs is a xenophobe, and reveled in such characterization as a ratings gimmick. It was a good gig while it lasted.

Although I found the non-stop reporting of illegal immigration repetitive, Lou Dobbs has always been spot on - illegal immigration is a massive financial burden and national security risk. There's nothing controversial or incorrect about that simple observation.

Illegal immigration has given way to "undocumented workers".

Lou Dobbs isn't a xenophobe.

I have to agree as well. Dobbs was concerned about millions of illegal immigrants entering the United States on a yearly basis. Only a complete idiot would fail to recognize the severity of this problem. But because of Liberal dishonesty as to blur the entirely different concepts of legal vs illegal immigration, he was branded anti-immigrant, and anti-hispanic.

And once again you'd be wrong. But go ahead. Say it a third, fourth and fifth time, adding to the tally of your incorrectness.

The bullet hitting Dobbs' house didn't care what you think about "correctness".

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/tv/67312922.html?elr=KArksD:aDyaEP:kD:aUq9_b9b_jEkP:QUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

We can debate his purported Xenophobia, but he's definitely an America-first type and anti free-trader.

Given that he has a bachelors degree in economics from Harvard, I would suspect that he's actually a bit of an opportunist who says things that he doesn't really believe for personal gain.

We can debate his purported Xenophobia, but he's definitely an America-first type and anti free-trader.

Given that he has a bachelors degree in economics from Harvard, I would suspect that he's actually a bit of an opportunist who says things that he doesn't really believe for personal gain.

I think he qualifies his trade stance as fair trade vs free trade. And I think he believes in everything he says. No evidence exists that suggests otherwise.

I think he qualifies his trade stance as fair trade vs free trade. And I think he believes in everything he says. No evidence exists that suggests otherwise.

I think that Dobbs actually knows better, but has been pandering xenophobia as schtick in the waning years of his long tenure at CNN. The economic reality of illegal immigrant labor is not just going to disappear because of his rantings each night...instead...he has disappeared.

Good riddance to xenophobe Lou Dobbs.

Does this mean that Ophra will be taking his place? I like the fact that he quit...maybe he did what was right? It's hard being the most trusted name in news when no one with a drop of sense trusts you...and what is a xenophopbe? I like that Roberts guy on CNN - and do you know why ---cos' he was a Toronto rock DJ back in the 9old days - may as well have our Canadian not so sleeper cells keep you awake with bad news.

I think that Dobbs actually knows better, but has been pandering xenophobia as schtick in the waning years of his long tenure at CNN. The economic reality of illegal immigrant labor is not just going to disappear because of his rantings each night...instead...he has disappeared.

You're not making any sense. Which part of his "schtick" was attributed to fear of the unknown or that which is different? How is asking the Federal Government to uphold the law anything close to xenophobia? The economic reality of illegal immigration may not disappear, but it doesn't mean it's not worth talking about. That type of politically correct mindset is the same PC garbage that led to the shooting in Fort Hood, and quite frankly I'm saddened and suprised its affected you.

Upholding the law isn't "schtick." And if it's regarded as such, what a sad commentary on our society. And Dobbs may have "disappeared" from CNN, but he'll soon reappear elsewhere, as CNN has a history of discarding much of it's only real talent. (Beck, Greta, Garrett, and now Dobbs) There's a reason why they've fallen behind the likes of MSNBC.

And btw. What do we tell the millions of people who apply for citizenship the legal way, who have to wait in line, while at the same time, see millions cutting in line, breaking the law with little to no consequences? I guess they're suckers for doing the right thing. :(

Edited by Shady

You're not making any sense. Which part of his "schtick" was attributed to fear of the unknown or that which is different? How is asking the Federal Government to uphold the law anything close to xenophobia? The economic reality of illegal immigration may not disappear, but it doesn't mean it's not worth talking about. That type of politically correct mindset is the same PC garbage that led to the shooting in Fort Hood, and quite frankly I'm saddened and suprised its affected you.

Nonsense....illegal immigration helped to build the United States, and today it supports many business sectors with cheap labor that you and I benefit from. That is the reality that xenophobes don't have an answer for. Are you ready to walk the talk?

Upholding the law isn't "schtick." And if it's regarded as such, what a sad commentary on our society. And Dobbs may have "disappeared" from CNN, but he'll soon reappear elsewhere, as CNN has a history of discarding much of it's only real talent. (Beck, Greta, Garrett, and now Dobbs) There's a reason why they've fallen behind the likes of MSNBC.

MSNBC presently has a worse collection of PC whores than CNN ever did. Upholding the law means deporting 12 million people...good luck with that. More likely, there will just be yet another "amnesty".

And btw. What do we tell the millions of people who apply for citizenship the legal way, who have to wait in line, while at the same time, see millions cutting in line, breaking the law with little to no consequences? I guess they're suckers for doing the right thing. :(

I'm not convinced they are any less "risk" than are illegals. IIRC, the 9/11 hijackers were in the USA legally.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Nonsense....illegal immigration helped to build the United States

Nonsense. Legal immigration helped build the United States, not illegal immigration.

and today it supports many business sectors with cheap labor that you and I benefit from.

We could all benefit from slaves too, but it doesn't make it right. Exploiting people for material gain isn't something that should be condoned, and has nothing to do with xenophobia.

Upholding the law means deporting 12 million people

I would never suggest deporting 12 million illegal immigrants. But enforcing the borders is much more doable. And I don't see why that's such a big deal. Why are you against a secure border?

More likely, there will just be yet another "amnesty".

Then why even pretend to have borders? Illegal immigration is bankrupting border states via healthcare and education.

I'll just come out and say it, bush_cheney2004 is either an extremely simple person (likely) and/or an extremely dishonest person (also likely). Illegal immigration doesn't benefit the American economy on the whole. Instead, it benefits certain small groups of people (certain business owners, the illegal immigrants themselves, some of us who buy products that may have lowered prices due to lower labour costs, etc). WITHOUT QUESTION, illegal immigration is a massive economic burden on America. Do I even NEED to list the ENDLESS costs associated with illegal immigration? Are the frequenters of these forums THAT ignorant? I have no intention of dumbing down the discussion to the point that I have to spoonfeed someone the endless dimensions through which illegal immigration bleeds the American economy.

Basically, bush_cheney2004, at least with respect to this issue, isn't worth talking to.

Shady - Did you really refer to Glenn Beck as "talent"? Come on, he has got to be one the dumbest guys on the news circuit. I think if you combine his IQ with Larry King's you might round out near 90. Although I think he's on the right side of many issues, his understanding of things is so primitive and simplistic. Simpletons like Sarah Palin also come to mind. You can't really respect that guy... right?

Edited by Gabriel

I'll just come out and say it, bush_cheney2004 is either an extremely simple person (likely) and/or an extremely dishonest person (also likely). Illegal immigration doesn't benefit the American economy on the whole. Instead, it benefits certain small groups of people (certain business owners, the illegal immigrants themselves, some of us who buy products that may have lowered prices due to lower labour costs, etc).

You have ignored payroll taxes, sales taxes, income taxes, fees, headcounts for federal education dollars to local districts, etc., all of which will not be returned to "illegals" in the way of qualified benefits. More importantly, you have totally discounted the benefit to large sectors of the American economy, beginning with the food we eat at low prices.

WITHOUT QUESTION, illegal immigration is a massive economic burden on America. Do I even NEED to list the ENDLESS costs associated with illegal immigration? Are the frequenters of these forums THAT ignorant? I have no intention of dumbing down the discussion to the point that I have to spoonfeed someone the endless dimensions through which illegal immigration bleeds the American economy.

Because you obviously don't know....for Canada or the USA.

Basically, bush_cheney2004, at least with respect to this issue, isn't worth talking to.

But you will....they all say that in the beginning. I am not an American wannabe....I'm the real thing.

Nonsense. Legal immigration helped build the United States, not illegal immigration.

So slavery was legal immigration?

We could all benefit from slaves too, but it doesn't make it right. Exploiting people for material gain isn't something that should be condoned, and has nothing to do with xenophobia.

Yes it does....exploitation is a two way street....that's why the US gets illegals from Canada, Mexico, Paraguay, etc.

I would never suggest deporting 12 million illegal immigrants. But enforcing the borders is much more doable. And I don't see why that's such a big deal. Why are you against a secure border?

Secure borders are fine....but not xenophobia with companion pathologies. Xenophobes like Dobbs are even irked by legal immigration.

Then why even pretend to have borders? Illegal immigration is bankrupting border states via healthcare and education.

Then why do their employers hire illegals?

• 1 month later...

What BC really means is, they like keeping their Latino housekeepers well underpaid. The best way to do that is to maintain their status as illegal immigrants, so that they are non-legit in the system, have no real rights or protections, don't get the same benefits, if any at all, or even laws protecting them from manipulative employers.

I can't think of a similar parallel in Canada. Although illegal immigration exists here too, as everywhere, there is no underground job market on any kind of similar scale, that sustains a need for these people, a sort of "untermensch" in US society.

Edited by Sir Bandelot