Gun Registry about to go bye bye!

wulf42

Mp's vote to finally abolish the idiotic gun registry! Finally this country is going somewhere....just wait until Mr Harper gets the majority Government

then many more great things will happen!!

http://www.cbc.ca/politics/story/2009/11/04/gun-registry-vote004.html#socialcomments-submit

Edited by wulf42

Well, hold on for a bit, because they haven't actually voted to get rid of it yet. It has to clear 2 more votes in the commons and 3(?) in the Senate. Some experts think it will pass, and I hope it will (I wasn't sure before), but it isn't a done deal yet.

Good. The gun registry did a few nice things for us. Wasted over a billion developing and implementing it. It only hurt people who legaly want to own a gun and be responsible about it. Does not decrease any crime rate at all.

This system was crap to start with. I am glad this is scrapped.

Good. The gun registry did a few nice things for us. Wasted over a billion developing and implementing it. It only hurt people who legaly want to own a gun and be responsible about it. Does not decrease any crime rate at all.

This system was crap to start with. I am glad this is scrapped.

It isn't over yet. There are still a few hoops to jump through.

It isn't over yet. There are still a few hoops to jump through.

It's a start. One that has been needed since inception of the Gun Registry. It would work better if it worked like a marriage registry. I'm registered over at Bob's Guns Gun Guns and live bait shop. So if you are going to get me anything, I could use a shotgun and possibly a couple rifles. Also they sell those warmers that will fit your gun, kind of like the ones people use on their golf clubs.

It will stall and perhaps die in the Senate.

The surprsing thing was that 12 NDP MPs voted for it.

It is not like Jack to allow anything but obedience.

Well it's a private member bill, it's really a free vote. This is what convention dictates at least. I'm just happy that I won't have to fund it with my tax dollars any more. Scrap it or start charging a registration fee I don't particularly care which.

How about tougher sentences for those that do commit crimes with fire arms...

Where is the proof that actually works?

If the state is so convinced that prohibition coupled with tougher sentencing is the key to stamping out something like drugs, how about simply prohibiting guns and applying the same rationale?

I have no objection to the idea of registering firearms in principle but I could never get my head around spending hundreds of millions to keep track of people who want to obey the law. Unfortunately, I doubt the money saved by scrapping the system will wind up in other law enforcement initiatives. Either way, law enforcement will wind up the losers in this farce. I also think erasing all the data collected to date is just plain stupid and smacks of ideology not common sense.

Does anyone have a link to the contents of the bill? Is the registry being disbanded, or is it simply going to remove certain firearms from the registery?

Only long guns.

The end of the handgun registry happens if the Tories get a majority.

Mp's vote to finally abolish the idiotic gun registry! Finally this country is going somewhere....just wait until Mr Harper gets the majority Government

then many more great things will happen!!

http://www.cbc.ca/politics/story/2009/11/04/gun-registry-vote004.html#socialcomments-submit

a rare cause for cheers in our crumbling country...

I have no objection to the idea of registering firearms in principle but I could never get my head around spending hundreds of millions to keep track of people who want to obey the law. Unfortunately, I doubt the money saved by scrapping the system will wind up in other law enforcement initiatives. Either way, law enforcement will wind up the losers in this farce. I also think erasing all the data collected to date is just plain stupid and smacks of ideology not common sense.

What I never can understand about government databases is why they cost so much. I'm from a technical background here, and have developed plenty of software apps, including an Accounts Receivable system for an ISP, but lots of more basic things like Web-based database apps of various kinds. You can get high-end, high-quality, high uptime database systems for, well, the cost of the download. Linking the parts together takes some time, but I can't envision this registry being so complicated that a competent programmer couldn't prototype the damn thing in a month. If you use web-based tools and do the whole thing via a centralized web/database host, I'll wager you could get something like a firearms registry up and running and fully tested within a year, probable development cost couldn't be more than half a million, plus hardware costs, maybe a million.

On a philosophical note, I despise the long gun registry, which basically asserted that a bunch of farmers and hunters and folks that live in parts of this country where a gun is a necessity of life were the equivalent of a bunch street hoodlums and psychotics.

But as a taxpayer, and what's more as a guy who does this sort of thing for a living, quite frankly I simply cannot comprehend how this registry cost as much as it did. If it costs $10 million, I'd still be wondering "where the hell is the money going?" We live in an age when you can literally build database-driven apps in a matter of weeks from stock bits like PostgreSQL and Drupal, and though the registry started it out several years ago, even in the 1990s there were an enormous number of very cheap tools.

Where is the proof that actually works?

If the state is so convinced that prohibition coupled with tougher sentencing is the key to stamping out something like drugs, how about simply prohibiting guns and applying the same rationale?

This comparison is a non sequitur. Just because the government is stupid in handling drugs doesn't mean they automatically will be just as stupid handling the issue of gun registration.

That being said, governments DO tend to stupid approaches but there's nothing positive in encouraging them as you are suggesting!

Well it's a private member bill, it's really a free vote. This is what convention dictates at least

Perhaps, but Jackboots Layton rarely allows his party to vote any way except whatever 'party policy' determines on purportedly free votes.

Oh-oh, the secret agenda lives!

I heard the Tories are going to give every adult an automatic weapon and force children to learn how to shoot.

So what will be developed in the way of better gun controls in the future?

Nothing! there is plenty of gun control still...such as handguns you still

need a restricted license and to take a restricted weapons course and with

long guns you still need a PAL to buy one or a Pol to own one you already have,

just now you won t have to register them.

Only long guns.

Never happen........Handguns will always need to be registered and will

always have tight restrictions ,however

hunting rifles and shotguns should not.