Inglourious Basterds

kimmy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't get your pointed assertion that "women always seem to die in close up in Tarantino films." What are all the many others? I honestly can't think of more than two or three, which is nothing notable in a series of movies with, literally, hundreds of violent deaths. For this critique to even reach the level of serious discussion, you'd have to posit that such is not the case with his male victims. You're speaking from a mistaken impression here, I think. At any rate, it is a matter that could easily be objectively found out. Unlike many arguments, this one is not a matter of opinion.

Long time, meant to get back to this: My point is Tarantino's films feature literally hundreds of violent deaths, but the one's that stand out to me are those (the choking scene in Basterds, the vehicular homicide sequences in Death Proof) that celebrate and linger over the slow and violent deaths of women at their most helpless. And yeah, I would say that's not the case with his male victims at all. Even the Nazi bludgeoned with the baseball bat in Basterds was shown from a distance.

After hearing so many positive reviews about the movie, and hearing that the acting was superior, we rented it on the weekend.

At various times through out the movie I thought I should be doing something more stimulating, like triming my nose hairs, but, I kept watching, waiting for that 'moment" that would gel the movie, make it stand out and I would see the brilliance of this work of art. There were a few scenes that had potential. The feeling of suspense and tension in chapter one where the SS officer interviews the dairy farmer....but it was lost on me when the German asks for milk and a milk bottle was produced.

Milk? In France? Only infants drink milk in France. It is considered unhealthy. I was in Paris having a lovel horse steak dinner at the esteemed Roger Le Frit when I asked the waiter for a Verre de Lait. "Verre de lait?" He repeated back to me. "Oui" I said, "un verre de lait." He went back to his station and spoke to the maitre d, i could overhear.."le monsieur veut un verre de lait"..."Vraiment?" .....and so some minutes later a tall steaming glass of milk is brought to me by two waiters....

I said I was sorry but I wanted a glass of cold milk. "Le lait froid?" "Le monsiuer veut un verre de lait ...froid?"

Then the two waiters and the captain come with a tall glass of milk with ice..it was terrible....the milk was the kind that is in some sort of tetrapack that you can leave in the cupboard for a year....I graciously thanked them , the maitre d remarked that for an American my French was very good. I thanked him for his compliment and said I was not American but Canadian...

So we watched the movie to the end....left with a feeling that the milk was chemical and unsatistfying....and I swear there are two things I will not do again. Watch a Tarantino film and order milk in a paris restaurant.

I think the milk (and later the strudel with cream) were purposeful....I mean once they dispense with French or German in favor of English we know it's an alternate reality!

Movies are an alternate reality to begin with. I have no problem with suspending my disbelief if the story doesn't clang me in the head like walking on the prongs of a rake...

Movies are an alternate reality to begin with.

Right, but this one is more so....anything goes. Once you accept that premise, milk for the SS becomes an acceptable gag.

I have no problem with suspending my disbelief if the story doesn't clang me in the head like walking on the prongs of a rake...

Okay...I learned my first German words from ABC's Combat!....then the alternate reality of Hogan's Heroes. I still like to yell at my kid..."Schnell! Schnell!" when it is time to mow the grass.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Because it was a movie about killing Nazis...that's why...just like The Dirty Dozen! If you want an intriguing mdocudrama about justice and closure for the world miseries, them make your own damn movie! :lol:

HOPE you have gotten over the grey sexual thing..sex is black and white..as is the idea of right and wrong..good and evil...life and death..the MOVIE - that I have not seen is an attempt for this producer to be relevant..and he failed..big deal..so the little weasel writes in a scene where he through the hands of surrogate actors - bashes in the scull of some German. BC...I had a very good anti corporate script filter through the hands of the big boys...they don't want goodness or the truth or something that might bring them stress...so they canned my project..it was called THE PURPOSE...T

So we watched the movie to the end....left with a feeling that the milk was chemical and unsatistfying....and I swear there are two things I will not do again. Watch a Tarantino film and order milk in a paris restaurant.
Morris, your review is brilliant.

I have no desire to pay to see the movie.