Is opposing Obama racist?

Absolutely. And I'm sure President Obama feels the same. I'm sure he feels that a few hardcore racists don't speak for everyone who doesn't agree with his policies.

Absolutely. But again, trying to use a handful of loonies to paint all of Obama's critics as racists is just underhanded politics.

-k

Is it underhanded when the Obama family is portrayed as apes? I find it extremely disgusting that there is a society in the United States that people that live in trailer camps revile the Obamas as apes. We are all descended from the same?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it underhanded when the Obama family is portrayed as apes? I find it extremely disgusting that there is a society in the United States that people that live in trailer camps revile the Obamas as apes. We are all descended from the same?

But it's OK to portray President Bush as a chimpanzee...right?

http://www.bushorchimp.com/pics.html

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Are these the Obama daughters dolls you're referring to?

Because if they are, I don't think they support the argument that Obama's family is subject to hate. Just the opposite, in fact. They're adorable... about as friendly as a plush representation of a human could be.

Are you seriously going to compare the treatment the Obama daughters are getting with the ride the Bush twins or Chelsea Clinton got from the media? Ridiculous. Obviously their age is a big part of the reason why. But even if they were young adults, I still doubt comedians would target them with the same kind of abuse that the Bush and Clinton daughters were targeted with, out of fear that the "humor" might be called racist.

As for the treatment Michelle Obama gets from the media? It doesn't seem to be racist to me either. She's one of the biggest celebrities on the planet right now, judging from the tabloid magazine covers I see when I buy groceries. The attention she receives seems to be overwhelmingly positive... stories focus on her hairstyles and her clothes and how she establishes a healthy body image for 40-something women, and all sorts of hard-hitting news angles like that.

Why did people leave Laura Bush alone? Because she was a very low key First Lady. If you want a fair comparison for Michelle Obama, the only other First Lady with that kind of profile was Hilary Clinton... who as I recall was a regular target for all kinds of abuse. That Michelle Obama is being picked on because she's black is absurd. She's getting a sweet ride so far.

Sone cannot see the forest for the trees.

If you want to convince people that the Obama family is getting a rough ride because of racism, first you have to convince people that the Obama family is getting a rough ride at all. And I just don't see it.

-k

I really don't think I have to convince anyone tht the attacks onObama are racist. He is often referred to as a chimp, his wife is portrayed as an over muscular ape. I find it disgusting. Laura Bush dealt pot in college and ran a stop sign and killed someone. Got off, as did George doing dwi. and snorting cocaine. There is another world out there that hates the Obamas.

It is pure racism the way the Obamas are attacked. Nothing else.

But it's OK to portray President Bush as a chimpanzee...right?

http://www.bushorchimp.com/pics.html

haha that is a good retort. good one BC.

You see, the word "racism" is no longer just a word in the dictionary. For those on the left, it is a weapon you use on your opponent.

The left is so consumed with race, they don't even know when they're being racist.

Edited by JerrySeinfeld

It was bad taste, but it wasn't racist. As soon as I posted that message, I realized: "Bubber is going to post here and bring up that Shady thing as an example of how the Obama daughters have been mistreated." And it only took 10 minutes. You don't remember Maxim magazine photoshopping their heads onto lingerie models?

Have you been stoned for most of the decade?

I don't read Maxim, I'm stoned all the time, and I'm nothing if not predictable.

Edited by BubberMiley

I agreee - somewhat. But what is "blatantly racist". Is any unflattering depiction of a black man on a sign racist?
Obama, his star sinking fast, is quite definitely playing the "race card". He is having proxies like Carter assert that opposition to Obama is anti-black rather than anti-Left or anti-incompetence.

The fact that those people are trailer park denizens shows their degree of success and influence.

The fact that those people are trailer park denizens shows their degree of success and influence.

What's wrong with portraying Obama as an ape? can you please explain why it is ok to portray Bush as a monkey but not Obama?

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Obviously you make some kind of connection in your mind.

But heigh ho, you're not racist.

:lol:

Obama, his star sinking fast, is quite definitely playing the "race card". He is having proxies like Carter assert that opposition to Obama is anti-black rather than anti-Left or anti-incompetence.

If you call his approval ratings going up sinking then yes his star is sinking. If you call having a higher approval rating then Regan, Clinton, and Bush 1 at this time in their presidency sinking then yes.

See when the right makes these statements they look silly. Everything you say after this just looks dumb becuase you have no clue what others have gone through.

What's wrong with portraying Obama as an ape? can you please explain why it is ok to portray Bush as a monkey but not Obama?

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Obviously you make some kind of connection in your mind.

But heigh ho, you're not racist.

You are right, there is no difference as Bush was ridiculed in many ways by the liberal media.

Of course, Bush earned the distinction. Obama ain't done nothin yet.

Except he won the Nobel prize...

Edited by Sir Bandelot

I am against characterizing any elected official, especially one who's a monarch and PM rolled into one, in any undignfied manner.

Sure. Tell you what, when they begin acting in a dignified manner themselves, then maybe...

In debating what do you gain by calling your opponent an ape or a chimp? Is it going to gain you influence or impress that person?

Are these the Obama daughters dolls you're referring to?

Because if they are, I don't think they support the argument that Obama's family is subject to hate. Just the opposite, in fact. They're adorable... about as friendly as a plush representation of a human could be.

Are you seriously going to compare the treatment the Obama daughters are getting with the ride the Bush twins or Chelsea Clinton got from the media? Ridiculous. Obviously their age is a big part of the reason why. But even if they were young adults, I still doubt comedians would target them with the same kind of abuse that the Bush and Clinton daughters were targeted with, out of fear that the "humor" might be called racist.

As for the treatment Michelle Obama gets from the media? It doesn't seem to be racist to me either. She's one of the biggest celebrities on the planet right now, judging from the tabloid magazine covers I see when I buy groceries. The attention she receives seems to be overwhelmingly positive... stories focus on her hairstyles and her clothes and how she establishes a healthy body image for 40-something women, and all sorts of hard-hitting news angles like that.

Why did people leave Laura Bush alone? Because she was a very low key First Lady. If you want a fair comparison for Michelle Obama, the only other First Lady with that kind of profile was Hilary Clinton... who as I recall was a regular target for all kinds of abuse. That Michelle Obama is being picked on because she's black is absurd. She's getting a sweet ride so far.

If you want to convince people that the Obama family is getting a rough ride because of racism, first you have to convince people that the Obama family is getting a rough ride at all. And I just don't see it.

-k

All anyone has to do is surf the internet to find scads of derogatory pictures of the Obamas, which are blatantly racist. How about Limbaugh's comments on blacks, including calling Obama a "halfrican" and calling him an Arab. That's enough proof for me.

Because in the U.S., race is a complicated matter. It was only a few years ago that this was the popular depiction of an African American. Note how it looks more monkey than human.

But it is still disrespectful to portray Bush as an ape, not "okay," so you shouldn't necessarily do it.

If there is any other remedial political tutorage you requre, let me know.

It was bad taste, but it wasn't racist. As soon as I posted that message, I realized: "Bubber is going to post here and bring up that Shady thing as an example of how the Obama daughters have been mistreated." And it only took 10 minutes. As if a guy posting on a message board is remotely comparable to the years of abuse the Bush girls took in the mainstream media.

You seriously don't remember anything about the Bush daughters?

You don't remember a million late-night comedy jokes about their supposed alcoholism? You don't remember Maxim magazine photoshopping their heads onto lingerie models?

Have you been stoned for most of the decade?

-k

Fact is, not only is their father an alcoholic but the Bush twins have been arrested in Texas several times for drunkeness. Plus, Jeb Bush's son has also been arrested in Texas for drunkeness. It is in the genes.

Sure it's vile, and of course there are racists out there.

But trying to equate all of Obama's opponents with what a few loonies on the internet are saying is a corrupt and dishonest exercise.

-k

Just exactly how are you using the word "corrupt"? And when is it "dishonest" to state the truth?

Fact is, not only is their father an alcoholic but the Bush twins have been arrested in Texas several times for drunkeness. Plus, Jeb Bush's son has also been arrested in Texas for drunkeness. It is in the genes.

And Mr. Obama is a self admitted drug abuser....so what? "It's in the genes" is blatantly RACIST! :lol:

The Bush daughters were never arrested for drunkenness. They were charged with being "a minor in possession of alcohol". They were caught in a bar with beer before their 21st birthday. The idea that they were stumbling drunks is a fiction created by people like David Letterman and Jay Leno.

I certainly drank beer before I turned 21, so I personally have no criticism for them. An enormous number of Canadians drink beer before they're 21. An enormous number of Americans drink beer before they're 21 too. I'd bet money that Letterman and Leno and Stewart had all had a beer before they turned 21.

They committed a misdemeanor offense that most people who aren't famous get away with all the time. Most of the people who have turned the incident into a big news story and comedy material are hypocrites.

All anyone has to do is surf the internet to find scads of derogatory pictures of the Obamas, which are blatantly racist. How about Limbaugh's comments on blacks, including calling Obama a "halfrican" and calling him an Arab. That's enough proof for me.

You haven't convinced me that there's anything more than some isolated loonies who are portraying the Obamas as apes.

Just exactly how are you using the word "corrupt"? And when is it "dishonest" to state the truth?

You're acting as if a handful of people at racist message boards speak for the millions of Americans who don't support Obama. That's dishonest.

-k