Barack on Letterman

Last night on the David Letterman show Dave asked Obama if what Jimmy Carter said about race being a factor in the his Presidency.

Obama said, "I don't know if you noticed or not but I was Black before I was elected President."

A very cool statement that deserves some recognition in not playing and forwarding the race card as was done by that racist Jimmy Carter - who serves as an example of what is the remnants of racism left in America today. Carter's comment about "some people who do not think a black man is capable of running this great country" is not one of perception but more a revealing descriptive statement of himself.

Maybe I should have posted this on the current "Dem's shoot themselves in the foot" thread but it is a rare moment when you will see me delivering accolades to Barack Obama. His agenda and policies still suck.

Whether it's true or not, it is too explosive an issue introduce it into any conversation. Obama is intelligent enough to recognize that wedge issues and antagonism aren't going to help you win any support for your cause as they only serve to distract from the real discussion.

During the interview, Obama had correctly identified that JFK, FDR (and Reagan) had to endure similar types of reactions and responses to their own intiatives.

Edited by daniel

To me it's obvious that Obama's race and his father's religious background have played a role in the recent embarrassing behaviour by some of those who claim to be Conservative Americans . One look at the people at the rallies and what they say shows how this extremely loud minority group has a hard time disproving that this is not about race.

Obama, from the very beginning, has worked to fight against the divide and partisanship that Americans have found themselves in since Karl Rove came into the scene. Now you have the Simpleton's idol, Glenn Beck and Limbaugh, cheering on and encouraging the divide and feeding the bigotry of this minority group.

To me it's obvious that Obama's race and his father's religious background have played a role in the recent embarrassing behaviour by some of those who claim to be Conservative Americans . One look at the people at the rallies and what they say shows how this extremely loud minority group has a hard time disproving that this is not about race.

Obama, from the very beginning, has worked to fight against the divide and partisanship that Americans have found themselves in since Karl Rove came into the scene. Now you have the Simpleton's idol, Glenn Beck and Limbaugh, cheering on and encouraging the divide and feeding the bigotry of this minority group.

Using talking points from NBC are we? Painting the rallies as filled with racists and bigots is to take the pablum of the Obama cheerleading media and not analyze the facts for yourself.

Also short sighted is the knee jerk reaction that Beck and Limbaugh etc are responsible for the grassroots opposition to Obama's unsustainable spending ways. You've got 95% of the print media and all of the TV media save Fox riding shotgun for Obama, yet Beck and Limbaugh are able to singlehandedly sway America? Come on.

The bottom line is that Obama has failed on medicare by trying too many programs at once when his economy is in the toilet. I don't care which show he goes on, he's still blown away approval numbers in the mid 80s and is now below 50 by some polling data. That's way worse a drop than Bush ever did.

The bottom line is that Obama has failed on medicare by trying too many programs at once when his economy is in the toilet. I don't care which show he goes on, he's still blown away approval numbers in the mid 80s and is now below 50 by some polling data. That's way worse a drop than Bush ever did.

You're probably right. A creeping approach might have been more pragmatic. Something like a plan covering pregnant mothers, children under 12 and seniors. Something that would be harder to oppose.

You're probably right. A creeping approach might have been more pragmatic. Something like a plan covering pregnant mothers, children under 12 and seniors. Something that would be harder to oppose.

They could come up to Liberal Toronto and get lessons on who to deliver the line "The children - the poor poor puppy eyed children" _That should work.

he's still blown away approval numbers in the mid 80s and is now below 50 by some polling data. That's way worse a drop than Bush ever did.

That would be compelling if it were true. But since they're no sources for those numbers, they're probably those made-up ones again.

Also short sighted is the knee jerk reaction that Beck and Limbaugh etc are responsible for the grassroots opposition to Obama's unsustainable spending ways. You've got 95% of the print media and all of the TV media save Fox riding shotgun for Obama, yet Beck and Limbaugh are able to singlehandedly sway America? Come on.

yes, Fox News is definitely swaying that astroturf opposition, whether it's Fox's talking heads or it's actual producers helping to actually stage/make the news rather than report it..... like the Fox News producer caught off-camera a few days back (by a competitors camera crew) wildly urging the tea-baggin' crowd to shout and cheer louder! Yup - Fox News - "fair and balanced"!

Edited by waldo

This is the approach. All they want is a foot in the door. The rest is a natural evolution as more and more special interests climb the band wagon and clamor for "free" stuff that won't add a dime to the deficit or increase the taxes of anyone making less than $250K/yr. Can anyone tell me how that is plausible? Mr. Obama himself hasn't been able to clearly lay out any specifics on this himself.

Edited by Pliny

To appear on Mr. glibness Letterman's show cheapens the office of the Presidency.

But it justifies the expenditures of his advertisers. Politically, I agree, he is glib. He has some good writers. He is a bit of an elitist. Sometimes he is witty. Overall rating = 5.

Leno, a little classier, = 7

Edited by Pliny

Carter's comment about "some people who do not think a black man is capable of running this great country" is not one of perception but more a revealing descriptive statement of himself.

Carter is from the south and knows the underbelly of racism. And he is absolutely correct. All one has to do is look at some of the placards at the health rallies to back up his claim, not to mention the "birther" movement. Obama is a class act and is staying out of the obvious race card bullshit.

Carter is from the south and knows the underbelly of racism. And he is absolutely correct. All one has to do is look at some of the placards at the health rallies to back up his claim, not to mention the "birther" movement. Obama is a class act and is staying out of the obvious race card bullshit.

he knows the underbelly of racism alright and plays the card all the time. Obama isn't playing the race card, why are you?

That would be compelling if it were true. But since they're no sources for those numbers, they're probably those made-up ones again.

While some polls may show his rating below 50% here is a credible one if you believe in the credibility of polls. It is dated Sept. 2/09. Later ones may show less support.

Here's an interesting paragraph from it.

"While his approval number among fellow Democrats rose slightly to 90 percent from July, it fell to 43 percent from 53 percent among independents and to 15 percent from 23 percent among Republicans. It is the first time in a CNN poll that independents gave a thumbs down to Obama’s performance as president."

His approval among Democrats "rose" slightly to 90%!!!!!???? I guess Mr. Obama is giving the democrats what they want.

Meanwhile, the astroturf that gave him a "landslide" victory is quickly deserting him. They are so fickle those astroturf guys. I wonder if they noticed he was black before the election?

Edited by Pliny

That might take attention away from the fake numbers you guys like to throw around.

Sort of like the fake numbers you threw around.

At least these are real...

For the first time, independent voters -- who delivered Mr. Obama the White House and Democrats control of Congress -- disapprove of the job he is doing, by 46% compared with the 41% who approve. In July, 49% of independents approved of the president, against 38% who disapproved

NBC/WSJ

Oh right, you can't say because you're getting tired of being proven wrong.

You have a lot of nerve, considering I'm about to make you apologize in the second consecutive thread.

But I was disputing that he had approval numbers in the mid 80s.

Obama Wins 83% Approval Rating

Gallup

How you like them apples? :lol:

Consider yourself pwned for the second time in as many days.

You have a lot of nerve, considering I'm about to make you apologize in the second consecutive thread.

I didn't apologize for anything in the first thread. I just admitted I made a typo generated from the fact "Lehman Bros" and "Goldman Sachs" both have "man" as a second syllable. I encourage you to take great delight in catching that error. I know victories are few and far between for you, so you have to take what you can get.

Unfortunately, I can't concede anything on the next point because we're talking about presidential approval numbers. Not approval of how he went about his transition to the presidency. That isn't relevant data. Were you aware of this error, or just trying to misrepresent the facts again?

But if you want to use Gallop as the definitive poll, you will see that the idea that he had a presidential approval rating above 80 is just plain wrong. He never even got above 70, and Gallop also indicates he never went below 50%.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/113980/Gallup-D...b-Approval.aspx

So I will chalk this pwn up with the one where you steadfastly tried to say Obama claimed he cured cancer. :lol:

Edited by BubberMiley

Obama Wins 83% Approval Rating

Gallup

How you like them apples? :lol:

Consider yourself pwned for the second time in as many days.

What?? This is not an Shady-bashing-obama post? I must be on the wrong forum.