Conservatives say- Cost of Afghanistan war?

kuzadd

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woof, what in the hell are you doing Stephen?
Ms. Jansen also invoked a Section 21 exemption, which gives a government department the discretionary power to disclose records that include negotiationplans, deliberations or consultations, or "administrative plans that have not yet been put into operation.

Not giving the enemy intellegence. While most of the Taleban are barely able to count their number of goats, I would not put that to the test.

Not giving the enemy intellegence. While most of the Taleban are barely able to count their number of goats, I would not put that to the test.

I don't think it is that big of a deal to let the Canadian population the real costs of war. We are so disconnected from it in the first place, we don't know and understand the real cost of it all. Giving out this information will not change the mission in anyway shape or form. And it won't help the terrorsts out at all. If anything we should be letting them know we are spending MORE money on the war. The US has gone to congress/senate to approriate hundreds of millions of dollars for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. It was also public knowledge. It has not seem to hurt them at all.

We taxpayers are paying for this war, we have a right to know where the money and how much is being spent.

This also brings me to the point of failing support for the war at home. If we are not informed much about it, how can we make a decision to support the war or not? We have people over there like Army Guy, who I have come to respect quite a bit through his posts. And I want him to come back in one piece with all his parts. How are we to properly support our troops and the mission if we know squat about it? Or we get one set of answers only to see the actions go in the opposite direction.

Of course we don't need to know every little detail, like we don't need to know troop movements or specific strategies, because that could potentially be very dangerous for our boys and girls out there. I don't mind supporting the troops, because they are the ones doing the work. I do not support the mission, because it is a waste of time money and resources. And in the end does not make us anymore secure than 10 years ago. I get cussed at because people say I should be supporting the misison because I support the troops.

This also presents future problems with not letting us know the true cost of this war. When all of a sudden we have a higher deficit or debt, or we find out we don't have enough money for some other civilian project, we are left scratching our heads and wondering how did we ever get to this stage.

Of course we don't need to know every little detail, like we don't need to know troop movements or specific strategies, because that could potentially be very dangerous for our boys and girls out there.

Do we need to know what has been allocated for fuel? The value of the artillery shells used?How often the tanks can patrol? What knew material will be allocated? How much cargo will be dleivered and how often? How often the transports fly in and out?

This also brings me to the point of failing support for the war at home. If we are not informed much about it, how can we make a decision to support the war or not? We have people over there like Army Guy, who I have come to respect quite a bit through his posts. And I want him to come back in one piece with all his parts. How are we to properly support our troops and the mission if we know squat about it? Or we get one set of answers only to see the actions go in the opposite direction.

Of course we don't need to know every little detail, like we don't need to know troop movements or specific strategies, because that could potentially be very dangerous for our boys and girls out there. I don't mind supporting the troops, because they are the ones doing the work. I do not support the mission, because it is a waste of time money and resources. And in the end does not make us anymore secure than 10 years ago. I get cussed at because people say I should be supporting the misison because I support the troops.

This also presents future problems with not letting us know the true cost of this war. When all of a sudden we have a higher deficit or debt, or we find out we don't have enough money for some other civilian project, we are left scratching our heads and wondering how did we ever get to this stage.

NATO in Afghanistan

NATO’s operation in Afghanistan currently constitutes the Alliance’s most significant operational commitment to date. Established by UN mandate in 2001, the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) has been under NATO leadership since August 2003.

ISAF comprises some 64,500 troops from 42 different countries deployed throughout Afghanistan. Its mission is to extend the authority of the Afghan central government in order to create an environment conducive to the functioning of democratic institutions and the establishment of the rule of law.

A major component of this mission is the establishment of professional Afghan National Security Forces that would enable Afghans to assume more and more responsibility for the security of their country. Much progress has already been made. From a non-existent force in 2003, the Afghan army currently comprises approximately 92,000 soldiers, and has begun taking the lead in most operations.

In addition to conducting security operations and building up the Afghan army and police, ISAF is also directly involved in facilitating the development and reconstruction of Afghanistan through 26 Provincial Reconstruction Teams (PRTs) which are engaged in identifying reconstruction needs and supporting humanitarian assistance activities throughout the country.

Do we need to know what has been allocated for fuel? The value of the artillery shells used?How often the tanks can patrol? What knew material will be allocated? How much cargo will be dleivered and how often? How often the transports fly in and out?

We would like to know the total cost and some kind of breakdown. Then we know if our money is being put to good use. We have heard so much fraud and money/weapons going missing, it would be nice to know.

But like I said, we don't need to know movements or specific strategies, because that would compromise the troops. Talking about where all the money is going should not be an issue/problem.

We would like to know the total cost and some kind of breakdown. Then we know if our money is being put to good use. We have heard so much fraud and money/weapons going missing, it would be nice to know.

But like I said, we don't need to know movements or specific strategies, because that would compromise the troops. Talking about where all the money is going should not be an issue/problem.

I think you need to realize that forward budgets can be extrapolated into real world objectives. If someone (nasty) knows the how much they can make educated guess about where the money is going. Thiskind of intelligence is what they would have given an arm or a leg or a brigade for during the second world war.

I think it is enough to know what we spent last year rather than what we may be spending next year.

It was supposed to be kosher to support the troops without supporting the mission. I wonder what happened there?

Support our troops but not their mission? What BS is that? Supporting our troops is supporting the mission. Or are you one of those who would see Canadian soldiers do without proper equipment in the name of not "supporting the mission"?

No helicopters for you guys...it might offend the enemy.

Edited by DogOnPorch

It is now a "state secret"?

Wow!

How taxpayers dollars are spent for warfare is national security?

Hmm. Makes one wonder, why the secrecy?

From a government that stood for accountability.

Cost of Afghan war now a state secret, Tories say

it's political, we have a huge deficit and the cons don't want to raise taxes(I'll bet they regret cutting the GST now) so they have to slash things out of the budget and they don't want to slash from the defence budget because the cons get hard wood just thinking about guns...if Canadians have a choice between slashing from our healthcare and the miltary which do you think they'll choose?..which one would Harper like to slash, it won't be the one that gives him wood...

not only can the Taliban not be defeated we're going to pay billions for the privilege of not doing so and giving up some of our social benefits which the cons wanted to remove anyways......

Support our troops but not their mission? What BS is that? Supporting our troops is supporting the mission. Or are you one of those who would see Canadian soldiers do without proper equipment in the name of not "supporting the mission"?

No helicopters for you guys...it might offend the enemy.

Ofcourse there is no point in even trying to explain to you how the two can be seperate. It is the blanket "all or nothing" attitude that seems prevelant with the CPC.

Ofcourse there is no point in even trying to explain to you how the two can be seperate. It is the blanket "all or nothing" attitude that seems prevelant with the CPC.

#1. I'm not conservative nor do I vote for the CPC.

#2. Apparently you can't explain the difference, either. So perhaps you're right in that there's no use in trying.

#3. Those that 'support our troops but not the mission' often view the Army as glorified snow shovelers. That is...their true mission is actually pushing your car out of a snowbank when you're dumb enough to get it stuck.

Edited by DogOnPorch

I went searching for the answers to this and I did find the following on a US military website about what Canada's military plan is. This site was of Sept. of 08 but it does gives some info. http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=3736503

Defense news is not a US military website any more than Mapleleaf web is a canadian government site.

#2. Apparently you can't explain the difference, either. So perhaps you're right in that there's no use in trying.

There is a difference. I'll give it a shot explaining what I think is the difference.

Supporting the troops :

it might be something simple like, wishing them well, and hoping they come back in one piece. Also providing them with the proper equipment for the job, which was a huge problem in the first couple years of the war. Our troops went in without proper equipment (not exactlyt the avearage cnadians fault and we know that military budgets were reduced some years ago to get into this situation. Not to mention the money wasted on craptastic helicopters that need 3hs on the ground for repairs for every hour in the air, and even then they had issues. Support is also caring for these individuals when they get home. Some are going to be hurt, missing limbs, and mentaly messed up. So they signed up to go, and that means we are obligated to support them on their return to Canada.

Supporting the mission :

To me is political. Always has been. And that is making sure the mission and political goals are met. Making sure the mission is won. I don't support the mission because to me it was the wrong move that will not result in a gain in our overall security.

Again ,this is the way I personally see it.

#3. Those that 'support our troops but not the mission' often view the Army as glorified snow shovelers. That is...their true mission is actually pushing your car out of a snowbank when you're dumb enough to get it stuck.

This is the view if you happen to live in the Toronto area. :D I recall Sault St Marie was buried in snow one year, and they did not need the military, they just broke out the snowmobiles!!! Took them a week to dig out of it.

Dancer, what's your problem? Of course, its not an Official military website but its closer to being a military website than Mapleleaf being a government site. There's no need to answer back, ok?

I don't have a problem, you simply misrepresented what the site is and I corrected it for you.

You are welcome.