Cookies?

What is with MLW's forum software - can't it remember my damn log in information?

Every other forum I belong to has no problem remembering my credentials and logs me in automatically. With MLW my password is remembered if I use firefox or chrome, but no matter what neither browser remembers my username or to log me in automatically.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I use Firefox and it remembers well.

Are you sure you have your browser settings configured correctly ?

That is very strange, because it has always acted like this for me... no matter if I use my windows system or linux system, or even if I am starting over with a fresh install.

Every time my password is saved - both Firefox and Google Chrome as if I want to save the password, but if I close my browser or don't visit MLW for a few days when I return I always have to enter my username again.

No other forum I visit forgets, and there is nothing I have changed.... hmmmm... very strange.

My security is set to delete all cookies after a certian period of time so every now and then I have to re-log.

One other problem with FireFox is that it will once in a while eat all your cookies, history, homepage settings. This happens to me every other month. Most likely it coincides with pushed updates.

Otherwise, I have the same issue as well, but overall it does not bother me.

What is with MLW's forum software - can't it remember my damn log in information?

Every other forum I belong to has no problem remembering my credentials and logs me in automatically. With MLW my password is remembered if I use firefox or chrome, but no matter what neither browser remembers my username or to log me in automatically.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Yup...logs me off constantly.

I am wondering about what browser everyone uses and the possibility of being behind a network or proxy server of some kind. I use firefox on both my home pc and work laptop. My home PC is not part of any network and I never have an issue on my home PC, I am always logged in.

I do always have an issue with my work laptop. When at home, I need the proxy off, when at work, I need it on. And this is the pc that I always have to log in to post with.

Is that the same situation for some of you out there?

• Forum Admin
Yup this board has some big problems...logging off while posting is frustrating to say the least.

I'm not sure what to say, other than, the logging off issue seems to be relatively isolated to a few individual members. I know I've never experienced any issues, and other than this thread, I haven't heard of any other complaints.

HOWEVER, for me to properly assess if this is indeed an issue, I need those of you having issues to provide me with more than, "Ya, that happens to me too!".

If you experience problems like this, please provide me with the following:

Browser and browser version

OS and OS Version

Type of internet connection (dialup, cable?)

Also, I will be preforming a major upgrade to the forum software this week, which may (or may not) fix this issue for certain members.

Cheers,

Certain internt security package can be set to remember your passwords for you - such as Norton 360 ver 3.0 (which despite the fact I was pretty anti Norton I have switched back to due to the fact they finally picked up their game). It is my understanding that it is a pretty secure way to remember log in details for your non serious things (it doesn't even attempt to remember my bank log in) and would bypass any other issue which is affecting you. Although I name Norton as one example there are many other packages out there which will do the same thing.

HOWEVER, for me to properly assess if this is indeed an issue, I-need those of you having issues to provide me with more than, "Ya, that happens to me too!".
I just re-installed Vista on a machine and still have IE8 with the default settings and I am not experiencing the logout problems.

My normal settings turn off autocomplete and delete history on exit.

I have just turned them on that I tell you if the problem shows up.

I have had similar problems with other sites running variants of the phpbb software.

Edited by Riverwind

• 3 weeks later...

Mac made a large error when they released an update to Leopard for the Macbook Pro. They still haven't fixed it yet, and I have the latest version of Snow Leopard (or, it could be a hardware issue, but it seems to be happening to many people). My browsers freeze and stick for a short time quite frequently, and Firefox seems to do it worse than Safari. It seems to have kept me logged in today though.