Carter says Gaza Palestinians treated like animals

tango

Carter says Gaza Palestinians treated like animals

Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:18am EDT

GAZA, June 16 (Reuters) - Palestinians in the Gaza Strip are being "treated more like animals than human beings", former U.S. president Jimmy Carter said on Tuesday.

On a visit to the enclave, he condemned Israel's January bombardment of Gaza and its continuing trade blockade, which he said forbids even children's toys.

"I understand that even paper and crayons are treated as a security hazard," he told Gazans at a local United Nations office. "I sought an explanation of this when I met with Israeli officials and I received none, because there is no explanation."

I think Israel should stop making war on children.

IMO, the blockade of Gaza must end before any progress can be made in peace efforts.

Edited by tango

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee...why is Israel so mean to Palestinian Arabs? I mean, it isn't like they're terrorists or tried to eliminate Israel at some point in time. Had they done terrorist attacks or got involved with some major invasion I could see Israel getting a tad miffed. But since the Palestinian Arabs are innocent lambs incapable of violence and well known for their love of Jews, you gotta wonder what Israel's problem is...hey?

Edited by DogOnPorch

If Carter means behaviors, then this is an insult to animals! :lol:

Indeed. If Israel takes tango's suggestion and ends the 'blockade of Gaza', I wonder how many minutes would pass before the first Haifa Starbucks gets suicide bombed?

Edited by DogOnPorch

Well as they say, walks like a duck, acts like a duck...

they act like animals they will bre treated as such!

You mean the children? <_<

Ya, those crayon bombs are really scary!

Unfortunately, you represent the attitude that many Israelis have.

It's increasingly difficult for me to have any sympathy for Israel.

A country that dehumanizes its neighbours ... well ... there's just nothing good to be said for them.

The oppressed become the oppressors.

How sad that Israelis have no greater ambitions than that.

Edited by tango

The "blacks".....that's mighty white of you. Find out what a South African "necklace" is.

are you being sensitive about the word usage?

way to dodge again.

it's not a surprise that one of south africa's main allies was israel during the apartheid years.

i guess there were people during the south african apartheid years who defended the south african government's treatment of the blacks too.
Apartheid?

Are you aware that Egypt blockades Gaza too?

Speaking at a graduation for students from United Nations-run schools in Gaza City, Carter criticized the Gaza blockade imposed by Israel and Egypt after Hamas took control, saying Gazans "are treated more like animals than human beings."
Link

I think Israel should stop making war on children.

Typical senseless appeal to emotion. Israel does not "make war on children". Israel targets militants that launch rockets from civilian areas to kill Israeli children. Inevitably, some of the Palestinian civilians, who are put in danger (either willingly or unwillingly) by terrorist groups firing from their roofs, yards, etc, will end up as casualties. Do you have any sense of the reality of war, or do you perceive the world as some idealization where it is possible to always have 100% accuracy, and never kill or damage anything besides your precise targets?

Israel already does more than most nations to mitigate civilian casualties, such as phoning the residents of buildings surrounding their target to urge them to evacuate, allowing international aid to come in, etc. Imagine the outrage, boycotts, and mayhem that would happen if Israel killed 20,000 (or more) civilians in a campaign against Hamas, and yet when it happens in Sri Lanka there are only a few half-hearted condemnations.

Why the double standard?

Regardless, it's the Palestinians treat each other like animals (see conflict between Hamas and Fatah), and the Palestinian leaders that treat their people like animals by forcing them to sacrifice themselves in endless and pointless terrorism rather than accepting an equitable peace and letting them prosper.

egypt has received over $50billion in aid from the U.S. since 1975. don't you think that's enough to buy cooperation from a dictator?

$28 Billion. Egypt has never had it better. But that's not why they want to keep gun toatin' nutbar terrorists out of the country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/s...000/2515841.stm

We were expecting this end of President Sadat because we are sure he was against the interests of his people, the Arab nations and the Palestinian people.

---Nabil Ramlawi, Fatah/PLO

Indeed, there's a reason that Jordan kicked out the Palestinians, that Lebanon confines them to secluded refugee camps, and that Egypt walls them in behind a barrier. And yet Israel is expected to take them in and give them full freedoms. Israel shouldn't have to clean up the Arab's problems - they could do it themselves, if they cared in the slightest about the welfare of the Palestinians.

Indeed, there's a reason that Jordan kicked out the Palestinians, that Lebanon confines them to secluded refugee camps, and that Egypt walls them in behind a barrier. And yet Israel is expected to take them in and give them full freedoms. Israel shouldn't have to clean up the Arab's problems - they could do it themselves, if they cared in the slightest about the welfare of the Palestinians.

Problems multiply when not solved at the source.

Nobody expects Israel to "take them in".

We'd like Israel to stop trying to starve them to death is all.

Genocide is not an admirable strategy, regardless of who is doing it.

Edited by tango

Man, Israel must be really terrible at this whole starve and genocide thing. You'd think for a people being exterminated the population of the Palestinians might have dropped a bit in the 60 years that they have been subjected to this genocide.

The ridiculousness of your statements never ceases to amaze me.

Nobody expects Israel to "take them in".

Israel isn't trying to starve anyone. Your Hamas buddies did ruin Gaza's tomato industry, though, when they destroyed the greenhouses left behind after taking down towns that had been their since the 1960s. The greenhouses had cooperated with Zionists...so what else could Hamas do, afterall.

:lol:

Edited by DogOnPorch

bonam, do you realize that majority of what you type is bullshit, as it has already been shown?

there is only so much bullshit that can be corrected before you become a waste of time. much like DoP.

Feel free to ignore the truth when it doesn't fit your agenda. I made one factual mistake in a previous post that I have admitted, the rest is correct.

bonam, do you realize that majority of what you type is bullshit, as it has already been shown?

there is only so much bullshit that can be corrected before you become a waste of time. much like DoP.

When you don't agree with dub's vision of the 4th Reich...you become a waste of time. Benny will be around with the stormtroopers to arrest you...

:lol: