"Israel’s Premier Promises Major Peace Plan"o ...

tango

JERUSALEM — Under mounting American pressure to define his intentions regarding peace efforts, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel said Sunday that he would make a major policy speech next week mapping out the government’s “principles for achieving peace and security.”

The announcement came against the background of rising tensions with the Obama administration, which has demanded that Israel freeze all settlement construction in the West Bank. The Netanyahu government insists that construction within existing settlements should continue.

In another point of contention, Mr. Netanyahu has refused to endorse explicitly the notion of establishing an independent Palestinian state, a cornerstone of American and European policy on the Middle East.

In comments at the start of the weekly cabinet meeting, Mr. Netanyahu said, “We want to achieve peace with the Palestinians and with the countries of the Arab world, while attempting to reach maximum understanding with the United States and our friends around the world.”

more ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/08/world/mi...ref=global-home

I don't know ... but it seems unclear to me how Israel thinks this status-quo stand will bring peace. It's just a continuation of the blockade and occupation of Gaza, and of the illegal expansion.

When playing poker, it is best to have as many chips as possible.

So true. He's holding back on the two state issue unlike his predecessors so when he comes out with it, he comes off like he's made a giant move forward without even making a step.

Makes Obama look good, Abbas goes back and now has more political power and he doesn't have to do a dam thing.

it's funny how when hamas refuses to accept israel as a state some clowns throw their arms in the air and announce how hamas is not interested in negotiating and they should not be supported. but then you have israel refusing to accept a palestinian state and they continue to increase the illegal settlements and all of a sudden they're engaging in brilliant negotiating tactics.

i'm glad to see bushcheney, is once again showing us how he's not one of those clowns.

Rather than bitching and accusing - why not wait and see what happens?

Too many folks seem to have already made up their minds and the plan is not yet out on the table - other than what the media might state - and we all know the media are not always to be trusted.

Might surprize us all - heck the Egyptians got a pleasant surprize some years ago - and the world got a major shock.

Borg.

Rather than bitching and accusing - why not wait and see what happens?

wait and see? that's not what you and many others have done towards hamas. weren't you one of the people who bitched about not negotiating with hamas because they refuse to accept israel? didn't you support israel when they said they would never negotiate with hamas?

it must get pretty greasy with all that hypocrisy dripping down every one of your posts.

wait and see? that's not what you and many others have done towards hamas. weren't you one of the people who bitched about not negotiating with hamas because they refuse to accept israel? didn't you support israel when they said they would never negotiate with hamas?

it must get pretty greasy with all that hypocrisy dripping down every one of your posts.

Thats because we think you are out to lunch and not worth worrying about - radicals are usually not worth the trouble - and that puts you in the "who cares about dub the nub" category.

:lol::lol:

Have a nice day

Borg

Thats because we think you are out to lunch and not worth worrying about - radicals are usually not worth the trouble - and that puts you in the "who cares about dub the nub" category.

Have a nice day

Borg

Hello Borg - all is well at this end - and I'm sure the same applies there...say hello to the boys..and remember - love them.

Have a nice day

Borg

thank you for the useless post and confirming that you're a hypocrite who can't even keep count of your own hypocrisy in political issues.

NEWS FLASH!PALESTINIANS OFFER PEACE PLAN!

(We will exterminate all Israelis and wipe Jews off the face of the earth.Then....we offer peace)

I am guilty of not being specific enough.I refer of course to Hamas,Hezbollah etc and not those Palestinians who genuinely desire peace. :huh:

it's funny how when hamas refuses to accept israel as a state some clowns throw their arms in the air and announce how hamas is not interested in negotiating and they should not be supported. but then you have israel refusing to accept a palestinian state and they continue to increase the illegal settlements and all of a sudden they're engaging in brilliant negotiating tactics.

i'm glad to see bushcheney, is once again showing us how he's not one of those clowns.

The cornerstone of the Hamas charter is no negotiations with Israel or the international community.

On the other hand, many successive Israeli governments have accepted the idea of a Palestinian ste under certain conditions such as recognizing their right to exist.

This along with the Palestinian's immediate refusal of partition and then making war on the Israelis who did accept it.

Tell me Dub, why do you support Palestinians who wage hatred rather than those who do advocate for peace? I certainly don't advocate continued settlements but, the way it is going, Palestinians will never accept any peace whatsoever so why not?

The cornerstone of the Hamas charter is no negotiations with Israel or the international community.

On the other hand, many successive Israeli governments have accepted the idea of a Palestinian ste under certain conditions such as recognizing their right to exist.

This along with the Palestinian's immediate refusal of partition and then making war on the Israelis who did accept it.

Tell me Dub, why do you support Palestinians who wage hatred rather than those who do advocate for peace? I certainly don't advocate continued settlements but, the way it is going, Palestinians will never accept any peace whatsoever so why not?

No matter what the proposal - there will be many who are prepared to find a way to blame the Israeli government for any problems - peace must be two way - and that will never happen in my life time.

Dub must have family from that part of the world - s/he is simply parroting the attitude from the middle east - bet you do not get an honest answer on this one:

Tell me Dub, why do you support Palestinians who wage hatred rather than those who do advocate for peace?

Borg

No matter what the proposal - there will be many who are prepared to find a way to blame the Israeli government for any problems - peace must be two way - and that will never happen in my life time.

Dub must have family from that part of the world - s/he is simply parroting the attitude from the middle east - bet you do not get an honest answer on this one:

Tell me Dub, why do you support Palestinians who wage hatred rather than those who do advocate for peace?

Borg

See other thread...

Peace is NOT a process - does NOT need a road map....It is an instantaneous decision. There should be no barganing - or negotiations - there should be a point blank question asked of both parties - both parties should be put together in meeting and a JUDGE - should ask the Israeli leader - and the Palistinian leader one single question Do you want peace - both will answer yes - and then the meeting should conclude - no more damned talking...no more process - no more bull shit ....Both parties once they state their wants should be told as they are leaving though the door - Make it so! If you do not make it so - all aid stops - either wage full out war and holocaust the Palistinians and vise versa - or make peace NOW..the rest is bullshit!

Well it's a very serious test for Obama's administration now. If they accept this "state that isn't really a state" proposal, all promises and expectations will go up instantly in a big puff of smoke. It'll be back to square one - "peaceful" talk with very different "reality on the ground". I can't see how, short of insisting persistently, clearly and inambiguously on fair conditions for peace: complete stop to settlements, negotiated borders, compensation to the victims of creation process, and security to Israel - the US could any longer credibly pretend to not taking one side in this conflict. Any attempts to "mediation" from that position indeed would be pointless and doomed to fail from the start, as it happened on countless previous occasions.