What does it mean to be English Canadian?

August1991

Some time ago, a poster (Marcinmoka) posted the following (edited) post:

What does it mean to be (an English) Canadian? I am curious to hear your responses on this debate.

What is the fine line between maintaining a pluralist, multicultural society all while preserving, and promoting a national (English) Canadian identity?

We form a civil, liberal and democratic society, one which respects the individual, their beliefs, their customs, and we must strive to preserve this at all costs.

What is an (English) Canadian? IF ROC existed as a nation/country, what would it be? Alberta or Toronto or Newfoundland?

What is Canada, in English?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is an (English) Canadian?

A person whose mother tongue is English who is also a Canadian citizen

IF ROC existed as a nation/country, what would it be? Alberta or Toronto or Newfoundland?

all of the above and Saskatchewan and Manitoba and Vancouver and British Columbia and Iqualuit etc etc and on and on

According to Wikipedia (if one can trust wikipedia):

Canada (IPA: /ˈkænədə/) is a country occupying most of northern North America, extending from the Atlantic Ocean in the east to the Pacific Ocean in the west and northward into the Arctic Ocean.

Wikipedia entry on Canada

A human? That would have been a good enough answer for the girls I went out with but just a sec...

...yeah...the wife concurs so... I'll stick with human. But Earthling would probably work too.

A human? Who speaks English? Australian?
A person whose mother tongue is English who is also a Canadian citizen...
Citizen? Passport law? Bureaucracy decides what is English Canada?

No wonder...

According to Wikipedia (if one can trust wikipedia): Canada (IPA: /ˈkænədə/) is a country...
It's sad that you resort to wikipedia for a definition, but I didn't ask about Canada.

Peter F, my OP posed the question of the definitition of English Canada.

What is English Canada?

Edited by August1991

A human? Who speaks English? Australian?

No wonder...

It's sad that you resort to wikipedia for a definition, but I didn't ask about Canada.

What is English Canada?

Who says that? I don't think it's even a term in use.

What is Italian Canada? (??)

And why is this a "Moral & ethical issue?

Edited by tango

"English" Canadian can only be understood from a French Canadian's perspective. English Canada does not see itself as a cohesive nation the way French Canadians do (ignoring Acadiens for this argument). French Canadians label the "ROC" as English Canada because it means French Canada is different: French Canada is a nation with a national identity that is distinct from English Canada. English Canada on the other hand does not choose to define itself as a cultural nation. Instead, the ROC defines itself as a civic nation that is not bound by linguistic and cultural borders. They share a common set of values and beliefs--multiculturalism, rights and freedoms, etc. "English" Canada doesn't believe in national identity divided on linguistic boundaries; therefore, English Canada does not exist. The English Canada you want defined is simply nation-state Canada and it includes French Canada.

Edited by cybercoma

An "English-Canadian" is someone who was born in England and now resides in Canada as a Canadian citizen.

The law does not distinguish between English-speaking Canadian and French-speaking Canadians per se but provides laws that accommodate both languages through-out Canada. Then there may be territorial laws such as in Quebec that protect culture through language and in turn protect the use French on public display. Most people know that language and culture are intrinsically linked.

What is English Canada?

No, August 1991, your question was: " What is Canada, in English?". I gave you a definition of Canada that I found reasonable and I provided that definition in English.

No wonder...

No wonder what? Your question was "What is an (English) Canadian?" I answered your question.

Perhaps If we had had a class on the subject I could have provided the correct response that you are looking for. But, since no class was held, I really don't think you have any call taking on the role of Teacher and the rest of us your students.

Edited by Peter F

Something that depends on each human's point of view.

You're fishing for a political definition aren't you?

Good luck in coming up with a definition! You'll see all sorts of factors--constitutional language, law, precedence, social factors etc etc. Most bozo brain lightbulbs like Oleg don't even know why the Indian Act and Fisheries Act came into play, and the fact that those were in place before some of the provinces. Then the brain farts turn around and give the indians heck over "your laws and policies." One day the little kid right-wingers will snap out of it and graduate to punk-thinkin teens--in a hundred years they may graduate to adult thinkers :P

I think the English Canadian would be anyone who is not French Canadian. The French of course have to be "pure" because the French disown any sorts of mix e.g. a French and English mix would result in an English Canadian.

I think there are lots of non-French Canadians who would not call themselves English Canadians.

I'll go with chart's def - an English-Canadian came from England.

Charter is technically correct, but Cybercoma hit the bullseye with this definition:

"English" Canadian can only be understood from a French Canadian's perspective. English Canada does not see itself as a cohesive nation the way French Canadians do (ignoring Acadiens for this argument). French Canadians label the "ROC" as English Canada because it means French Canada is different: French Canada is a nation with a national identity that is distinct from English Canada. English Canada on the other hand does not choose to define itself as a cultural nation. Instead, the ROC defines itself as a civic nation that is not bound by linguistic and cultural borders. They share a common set of values and beliefs--multiculturalism, rights and freedoms, etc. "English" Canada doesn't believe in national identity divided on linguistic boundaries; therefore, English Canada does not exist. The English Canada you want defined is simply nation-state Canada and it includes French Canada.

I don't think the term English Canadian would be used outside of Quebec.

Some time ago, a poster (Marcinmoka) posted the following (edited) post:

What is an (English) Canadian? IF ROC existed as a nation/country, what would it be? Alberta or Toronto or Newfoundland?

Well, so far I see nothing of substance in answer. The usual smarmy replies of the left - most of whom will tell you Canada has no culture anyway (although they're extremely respectful of Quebec's culture), all of whom are utterly terrified of trying to define any kind of Canadian in a way which isn't "inclusive" to every ethnic and religious group which has hopped off a boat in the last few decades.

The majority of non-Francophones and non-Aborigines who are part of and ascribe to the notions, culture, beliefs and value-system which has existed, grown and flourished in mainstream Canada - excluding French Canada - for the last hundred odd years. That culture is somewhat a replica of what existed in the UK, including Ireland over the past, but tends to exclude the classism and most of the religious prejudices. It's made up of people of every ethnic background who came here and adapted through the classic melting pot approach, and did not desperately cling to their old world culture and beliefs. The guy with the German name I know and the guy with the Ukrainian name I know are no different than I am, regardless of our family backgrounds. Same culture, same value set.

Edited by Argus

The guy with the German name I know and the guy with the Ukrainian name I know are no different than I am, regardless of our familiar backgrounds. Same culture, same value set.

Yep, if it sounds like an Earthling and looks like an Earthling, guess what?

Edited by eyeball

No matter if you speak english or french, you are a Canadian first. everything else second.

No, you are an Earthling first, a fill-in-blank-here second and it if really matters what Earthlings speak that much then you'd probably be better off moving to another planet.

No, you are an Earthling first, a fill-in-blank-here second and it if really matters what Earthlings speak that much then you'd probably be better off moving to another planet.

I am homo-sapien above all else, if you really want to get facetious about it.

Stick with the context of the thread and you will do fine. I said Canadian first, everything else second, including what language you speak.

Yep, if it sounds like an Earthling and looks like an Earthling, guess what?

I feel no particular kinship with "earthlings", most of whom have no real way to communicate with me, and most of whom are savages by my standards.

To my mind, we have borders specifically to keep such people OUT.

No matter if you speak english or french, you are a Canadian first. everything else second.

Even the guys who go out to fight on behalf of their old country in some "foreign" land?

I recall that Serbian guy - excuse me, Canadian guy - who was convicted of taking Canadian soldiers hostage in Bosnia on behalf of Serbia. Then there were those Albanian "canadians" who murdered the security guard at the Turkish embassy on behalf of their old homelands. Or those Greeks who assaulted the Mayor of York during a mini riot because the city was going to put up a Macedonian flag on its birthday, etc etc.