Michael Phelps - shmuck

eyeball

Instead of growing a pair and becoming a poster boy for the normalization of pot he opts to kiss ass and try to suck-hole his way back to respectability instead...what a shmuck.

Apparently the IOC considers THC a performance enhancing drug, it might give an athlete an edge by settling them down and calming their nerves before an event. :lol:

I wonder what Phelp's is doing to take the harsh off his mellow right now?

I heard this on the AM news and said he had $100,000 of advertisments he's lost and that the jock that was talking about it said what was the big deal if the 23 year old want to celebrate his fortune this way?? Well, he isn't going to have a fortune because of the way he celebrated his way! I guess this is a generation gap or not mature enough to realize how one can hurt ones future. Drugs are a-no-no!

Instead of growing a pair and becoming a poster boy for the normalization of pot he opts to kiss ass and try to suck-hole his way back to respectability instead...what a shmuck.

I imagine being responsible to himself and to the staff he employs is more important to him than being some stoners sacrificial lamb.

I wonder what Phelp's is doing to take the harsh off his mellow right now?

Earning money hand over fist

I heard this on the AM news and said he had $100,000 of advertisments he's lost and that the jock that was talking about it said what was the big deal if the 23 year old want to celebrate his fortune this way?? Well, he isn't going to have a fortune because of the way he celebrated his way! I guess this is a generation gap or not mature enough to realize how one can hurt ones future. Drugs are a-no-no!

I don't know Topaz...I would probably agree with you if he was snorting lines of premium cocaine off the backs of $10,000 a night strippers whilst drinking Cristal right from the bottle etc. etc., but this is pot we're talking about. All that horseshit about marijuana being a "performance-enhancing drug" is just that -- manure. Anybody who's ever smoked weed and then tried to take part in some kind of athletic competition knows what I'm talking about. This is a very small curb we're trying to jump here, and making Phelps do all this apology crap is only furthering the patently untrue fabrications about the "evils" of pot. (For the record, I don't smoke pot -- but I'll defend to the death YOUR right to smoke it!)

No matter how careful folks are it is sad that private life can become so very public, however there are laws for a reason and we cannot turn a blind eye to wrong doing.

That's true RB, but that's part of the problem. We perseverate so fully on celebrity culture in this part of the world that it becomes breaking news if Michael Phelps smokes a little reefer -- it's ridiculous. There are laws for a reason, and yes, his actions are illegal (no matter how silly I might think some of those laws are), but come on -- there's other shit going on in the world, you know? Why do we care so much about the actions of a select few, especially when those actions have precisely no impact on our lives?

It was friggin' bong pipe, not crystal meth. You'd think he'd killed babies the way people are reacting.

No matter how careful folks are it is sad that private life can become so very public, however there are laws for a reason and we cannot turn a blind eye to wrong doing.

But we can put things in perspective. It's a minor infraction. The outcry and demands for his head is typical of a self-centered, hypocritical, manic culture that loves to put people on pedestals so they can be thrown off of them at the earliest opportunity. Let's face it, people love to be outraged.

But we can put things in perspective. It's a minor infraction. The outcry and demands for his head is typical of a self-centered, hypocritical, manic culture that loves to put people on pedestals so they can be thrown off of them at the earliest opportunity. Let's face it, people love to be outraged.

Agreed 100% Toad. We build these folks up *specifically* so we can tear them down. It's like a modern-day version of the gladiators...we love them when they win, but we love them even more when they meet their ignominious end on the pointy side of a spear or something.

I'm sure he really blew the bank with the $2 worth of pot he had in that bong.

The prohibition of marijuana is a farcical charade. No one really cares about it, but a small segment of society feigns indignation at it. Phelps's apology was not sincere because he probably isn't sorry for smoking pot. He's sorry that sponsors were threatening to take money out of his bank account because Phelps portrayed an image they don't want associated with their company--a spokesperson engaging in an illegal activity. In a nut shell, marijuana has a negative image because it is illegal. Marijuana continues to be illegal because it has a negative image. And, all around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel.

Edited by cybercoma

Agreed 100% Toad. We build these folks up *specifically* so we can tear them down. It's like a modern-day version of the gladiators...we love them when they win, but we love them even more when they meet their ignominious end on the pointy side of a spear or something.

Yep... Phelps swims really fast... That's it. He's a remarkable swimmer, not a remarkable anything else. Just like Barry Bonds is a great hitter of baseballs.

Anyone who wants to put him on a pedestal deserves to be disappointed by his (extremely large) feet of clay. Sorry, couldn't resist that :)

And yes, smoking some pot doesn't really make his giant feet clay anyway.

Phelps made quite an ass of himself in the months following the Olympics; appearing in dozens of photos that appeared to show him living a rock-star lifestyle, complete with booze and groupies, so drugs are not terribly surprising.

I'd say that "shmuck" is a fair description of the guy.

-k

I imagine being responsible to himself and to the staff he employs is more important to him than being some stoners sacrificial lamb...

Earning money hand over fist

If its just about the money and creating employment he probably could have done just as well gettng into the business of pot, say with a line of Michael Phelps bongs and paraphernalia for example, and stoner movies never seem to be out of fashion. I imagine all sorts of possibilities might exist for endorsements for the music industry or appearances at rock concerts etc. The bad-boy image has made some bad-boys very very wealthy. The responsible thing to do may have been to keep his mouth shut and see how the chips fell. Change is in vogue now, defiance is replacing deference just about everywhere you look these days. Its amusing to see how the C-suite that's weighing Phelp's is still reacting in deference to morality as if society were locked forever in a Leave-it-to-Beaver or Seventh Heaven state.

If he ends up losing all his big endorsement contracts and trys to opt for the pot business now he'll likely always be remembered for being a wussy like so many other shining stars that fade to insignifigance after being caught doing something controversial and who try to suck-hole their way out of it. You know what they say about publicity whether its good or bad, I think Phelp's could have just as easily turned this issue into a wave and surfed it to his and his employee's heart's content for years to come.

Phelps' only skill is being able to swim really fast. He's completely inarticulate and has the charisma of wet cardboard. I don't think that's going to make him a counter-culture hero regardless of how much pot he smokes.

While the idea of a Phelps Olympic Series Signature Bong is pretty hilarious, I can't picture it being a big seller. Certainly not enough to make up the millions of sponsorship dollars he has at stake.

-k

So much for his sponsorship millions...they're apparently going up in smoke as we speak.

Bongs aren't all the rage everywhere? I live in a quaint little drinking village with a fishing problem and even we have a little shop that's dedicated to strictly selling bongs. The place is positively lousy with little surf and head shops that sell the kind of stuff Phelps generation is into.

Yup, it's unfortunate, although I can see him losing endorsement contracts like Kelloggs and others who have kids as a big part of their market. This is not the kind of message they are paying him big bucks to send. Bottom line for celebrities, in an age of cell phone cameras there is no privacy in this world other than in your own home with the curtains drawn, so act accordingly or it could cost you big time.

Edited by Wilber

This is not the kind of message they are paying him big bucks to send. Bottom line for celebrities, in an age of cell phone cameras there is no privacy in this world other than in your own home with the curtains drawn, so act accordingly or it could cost you big time.

And that Wilbur is why most of cant believe his stupidity.

One would also think he has hangers on and the like , and none of them said "uh Mikey, maybe you should pull your lips off that bong before someone takes a pho...<click>...uh oh too late"

This is a very small curb we're trying to jump here, and making Phelps do all this apology crap is only furthering the patently untrue fabrications about the "evils" of pot. (For the record, I don't smoke pot -- but I'll defend to the death YOUR right to smoke it!)

I'm with you. I sign every petition I can find to encourage our government to take their heads out of the sand when it comes to marijuana. Alcohol and nicotine do more damage. I don't use it either, but my motto is 'smoke 'em if you've got 'em'.

There's a very good documentary called 'The Union', centred on BC's marijuana trade. It covers prohibiton of the drug, and helps to dispel many of the myths associated with pot. It's a must see.

If we legalized this and taxed it, it would be a great boon to economy; not to mention the savings from law enforcement who could focus on other like things ... like harder drugs.

I guess you would feel better if he tossed back a magnum or two of champagne? Perhaps followed with a couple of shots of Canadian whiskey?

And followed with a pack of cigs as a chaser. Cough, cough.

This reminds me of a joke. A man was asked if he smoked after sex. He responded: "I don't know, I never looked."

If its just about the money and creating employment he probably could have done just as well gettng into the business of pot, say with a line of Michael Phelps bongs and paraphernalia

Tommy Chong (Cheech and Chong) got nine months in prison for selling bongs over the internet. Not drugs, just bongs. Apparently it cost 12 million dollars to track him, arrest him, and keep him incarcerated.

I'm with you. I sign every petition I can find to encourage our government to take their heads out of the sand when it comes to marijuana. Alcohol and nicotine do more damage. I don't use it either, but my motto is 'smoke 'em if you've got 'em'.

There's a very good documentary called 'The Union', centred on BC's marijuana trade. It covers prohibiton of the drug, and helps to dispel many of the myths associated with pot. It's a must see.

If we legalized this and taxed it, it would be a great boon to economy; not to mention the savings from law enforcement who could focus on other like things ... like harder drugs.

Agreed PT. I grew up in a rural Ontario town, and it seemed to me as though the cops in that town did nothing but run around looking for kids with joints to bust. It got so bad they started locking down the high school and bringing in drug dogs to find all the students who had pot...the funny bit was the profiling that went on (they went direct to the shop classes and whatnot because they knew that's where the weed would be) -- if they were smart they would have hit the Advanced level classes where half the kids had speed and meth (you know, those fine upstanding members of the school community who did amazingly well on tests etc. because they would spend the night before an exam hopped up on amphetamines, studying till the wee hours). There were far worse drug issues in that town than the pot trade, but the police were more than willing to look the other way because of the demographic selling and using the high-end stuff. Ridiculous, really.

Bongs aren't all the rage everywhere? I live in a quaint little drinking village with a fishing problem and even we have a little shop that's dedicated to strictly selling bongs. The place is positively lousy with little surf and head shops that sell the kind of stuff Phelps generation is into.

It's illegal for teens to buy alcohol, but they can buy cocktail shakers. In Ontario you have to be 19 to buy cigarettes but you can buy lighters and ashtrays.