Nattering nabobs of negativism

Yup, this is what Duffy said:

"Honourable Senators, I urge you to ignore the nattering nabobs of negativism on the East Coast, particularly the Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador, who, I believe, does not do Newfoundlanders and Labradorians any favours by the kind of personal attacks he has made over the last couple of years; nor by his remarks that paint Newfoundlanders, who are the among the most generous, caring and committed Canadians, as greedy and selfish. Those remarks are unworthy of the great people of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Honourable Senators, I was disappointed to see that our dynamic young Premier in Prince Edward Island, Robert Ghiz, has climbed into bed with the Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador, and honourable Denators know what a grotesque scene that is. Do honourable Denators know what happens when two politicians climb into bed together? One of them comes out on top and I am afraid that when one is in bed with Danny Williams he will come out on top and I would hate to see where that will leave P.E.I. in the end."

Duffy duffs

Truly, this is a great gig for a guy who was at pains to poorly conceal his Conservative sympathies whilst hosting a national political affairs program. If you’re having difficulties sleeping, read the whole segment and see how he dispenses with any notion of non-partisanship by extolling his conservative pedigree. WARNING! It’s quite nauseating.

But I particularly appreciate the pot calling kettle segment above. I mean Mike, I’ll look past the fact that the alliterative opening that you borrowed was coined by a political loser name Agnew, but how you think you can genuinely assail a sitting premier for engaging in personal attacks by you yourself attacking said premier personally is, well, quite hypocritical.

That he, an appointed member purportedly representing the people of PEI should suggest that the public position taken by the twice duly elected Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador is somehow unworthy of the population he represents is beyond impudent. It serves to reveal Duffy as the ass he has always been.

Beyond that, while it is true that he cannot easily be dismissed from his present post, I would advise him that, in future, he refrain from indulging in his homo-erotic fantasises before any public audience, Senate or otherwise. Such behaviour will only encourage Canadians to opt for the abolishment of the federal government’s institutional answer to pre-senility for public figures.

I mean Mike, I’ll look past the fact that the alliterative opening that you borrowed was coined by a political loser name Agnew, but how you think you can genuinely assail a sitting premier for engaging in personal attacks by you yourself attacking said premier personally is, well, quite hypocritical.
Agreed.

Dumb imitated alliteration:

In the United States today, we have more than our share of the nattering nabobs of negativism.
Spiro Agnew

----

This is beyond absurdity and even irony. It's just dumb.

Edited by August1991

That he, an appointed member purportedly representing the people of PEI should suggest that the public position taken by the twice duly elected Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador is somehow unworthy of the population he represents is beyond impudent. It serves to reveal Duffy as the ass he has always been.

I think you're simply being partisan. You don't like Conservatives so you don't like Duffy. If he was a Liberal it wouldn't bother you.

Perhaps the bias on Mike's part that you seemed to sense was simply a case of more clear and practical thinking? Mike always struck me as being much more logical than many CBC commentators. He would ask the deeper questions, like "Where is the money going to be found?" or "How can that WORK?".

Since these questions are rarely raised by the Left, I can see why Mike would bother you.

Whatever! Any real or imagined bias on Mike's part as a private broadcaster is now moot, although as I implied I doubt if you have any complaints about bias on the part of the CBC. Mike is no longer in media! He is a Senator and now is SUPPOSED to air his own views!

That is what he has done in his comments about Danny Williams and Joe Ghiz. He was not appointed to be their cheerleaders, although he also has the right to do that if he wishes.

His words were fair comment. They represent the beliefs of many other Canadians. Moreover, his candor contained a fair dollop of humour and wit, something desperately needed in Ottawa since the exit of John Crosby.

This illustrates another reason why I've never found the Left to be appealing. They often seem to be a preachy, cheerless bunch! They often lack humour, as with Al Franken's attempt at a left-wing talk show. Long on sarcasm but short on genuine laughter.

He would ask the deeper questions, like "Where is the money going to be found?" or "How can that WORK?".

Because Don Newman would never ask questions like those....sometimes, he asks questions so tough that I thin the people on the show are going to get up and leave.

This illustrates another reason why I've never found the Left to be appealing. They often seem to be a preachy, cheerless bunch! They often lack humour, as with Al Franken's attempt at a left-wing talk show. Long on sarcasm but short on genuine laughter.

What about George Strombalopaboring's show on CBC that nobody watches? I think he's supposed to be funny, but I can never tell because I couldn't stand him on Much Music growing up either.

Ah, the cable guy with the weird hair. First he trashes Harper and the Conservatives with his ABC drivel.

Then when the Conservatives increase their minority, he pulls the brown nose act.

Now they want to adjust the transfers, and Danny thinked he's being unfairly picked on.

Those good people deserve a better leader.

please - do you have a citation showcasing Danny Williams' pugilistic skills against the homeless?

I'll tolerate Klein's one time alcohol induced comments regarding the homeless over Williams' interference with the public inquiry on cancer testing any time.

Williams has also ignited controversy by interfering in the selection process of a new president for Memorial University in St. John's, a supposedly independent institution, and by denouncing the conduct of the judge and lawyers in charge of a public inquiry he had called into botched cancer testing in Newfoundland.

http://www.canada.com/Ottawa+feels+power+D...5041/story.html