Iceland is a lesbian PM

CANADIEN

Iceland has a new Premier... and she is openly gay:

Iceland's next leader will be an openly gay former flight attendant who parlayed her experience as a union organizer into a decades-long political career.

Johanna Sigurdardottir, known as "Saint Johanna" for her work as social affairs minister, will be named Iceland's interim prime minister, and will likely hold the post only until elections in May. The previous conservative-led government failed on Monday.

Arguably the most popular politician in the troubled country, her appointment was hailed as "unexpected but brilliant," by one analyst. She will be Iceland's first female prime minister.

"Now we need a strong government that works with the people," Sigurdardottir said yesterday. She is known for allocating generous public funding to help the disabled, the elderly and minorities.

The new leader is seen by many as a salve to the bubbling tensions in Iceland, where the currency has plummeted and inflation and unemployment have soared.

"She is respected and loved by all of Iceland," said Environment Minister Thorunn Sveinbjarnardottir, a fellow Social Democratic Alliance party member.

But conservative critics say her leftist leanings and lack of business experience won't help her fix the economy. "Johanna is a very good woman – but she likes public spending, she is a tax raiser," outgoing prime minister Geir Haarde said yesterday.

Sigurdardottir, in parliament since 1978, is the mother of two grown sons and is married to writer and playwright Jonina Leosdottir.

"A lot of people didn't even know she was gay," The Independent's website reports a government source as saying. "When they learn about it people tend to shrug and say, `Oh.' That's not to say they are not interested; they are interested in who she's living with – but no more so than if she was a man living with a woman." (source)

Interesting that, while the outgoing government does not think she can't do the job, they don't say it's because of her sexual orientation. They may have figured out one essential fact - her capacity to do her job has nothing to do with who she lives with.

I expected that a thread on the new Icelandic PM would attrack some homophobic comments. I didn't think it would sink into... this.

My apologies to those who like me are shaking their head in disbelief.

How this thread evolved is quite astounding, is it not?

Forget about the insults or the obnoxious tone and imagery in many of the posts for the moment. I can count on one hand how many posts in this thread are on topic and that includes your Opening Post.

Good heavens.

I am going to close this thread temporarily and I have concealed from public view practically all of the posts. I have to think this one over and get Greg to way in on it too.

• Forum Admin

One suspension and one banning resulted from the nonsense that previously occurred in this particular thread. I've since cleaned out all the off-topic and disrespectful postings and I hope that everyone will try to discuss this issue with a reasonable level of decorum - otherwise, I'll be send a few more forum members packing.

One suspension and one banning resulted from the nonsense that previously occurred in this particular thread. I've since cleaned out all the off-topic and disrespectful postings and I hope that everyone will try to discuss this issue with a reasonable level of decorum - otherwise, I'll be send a few more forum members packing.
Admittedly, this was not one of MLF's brighter moments - and that speaks volumes of this thread.

-----

Few people here know much about Iceland or its current economic situation. I certainly don't. We had a thread awhile ago about how the country was on the verge of banrukptcy and sought an IMF bailout. The new PM is an interim leader until elections are held.

I think the case of Iceland is interesting in itself but it also points out something else. Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, George W. Bush, Alan Greenspan, Bill Clinton, CRA, quants, credit default swaps can hardly be faulted for Iceland's economic collapse. The Icelanders seem to have brought this on themselves.

Similarly, the dire economic situation of Spain and the UK (they both have suffered housing market collapses) cannot be laid at the doorstep of the usual American suspects.

Iceland has had a long and interesting history (to the extent that I know anything about the subject). I'm sure they'll be doing well in a few years and this current situation will be a collective anecdote. One thing is sure: Iceland still has codfish since they have managed that renewable resource with intelligence. Our federal government has made an utter mess of our Atlantic codfishery.

Admittedly, this was not one of MLF's brighter moments - and that speaks volumes of this thread.

-----

Few people here know much about Iceland or its current economic situation. I certainly don't. We had a thread awhile ago about how the country was on the verge of banrukptcy and sought an IMF bailout. The new PM is an interim leader until elections are held.

I think the case of Iceland is interesting in itself but it also points out something else. Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, George W. Bush, Alan Greenspan, Bill Clinton, CRA, quants, credit default swaps can hardly be faulted for Iceland's economic collapse. The Icelanders seem to have brought this on themselves.

Similarly, the dire economic situation of Spain and the UK (they both have suffered housing market collapses) cannot be laid at the doorstep of the usual American suspects.

Iceland has had a long and interesting history (to the extent that I know anything about the subject). I'm sure they'll be doing well in a few years and this current situation will be a collective anecdote. One thing is sure: Iceland still has codfish since they have managed that renewable resource with intelligence. Our federal government has made an utter mess of our Atlantic codfishery.

A very small economy, like Iceland, should be wary of high risk investments. Hopefully, they will be more careful ext time.

BTW, although it's two-three years old now, I wonder how much of an impact the reduction of U.S. military activity at Keyflacik had had. This was one relatively significant foreign investment, after all.

If you are going to invest you had better have something to back it up - Volcanic hot tubs are not transportable wealth - nor are rocks and fish good colateral. Iceland is a micro cosmic example of typical "make something out of nothing" - that led to global economic chaos...illusions are temporal and come to an end - where as realty has staying power. If you invest and want something for nothing --- in the end the reward is always nothing.

Iceland has a new Premier... and she is openly gay:

Interesting that, while the outgoing government does not think she can't do the job, they don't say it's because of her sexual orientation. They may have figured out one essential fact - her capacity to do her job has nothing to do with who she lives with.

Sexual orientation is a very fleeting modernist term...It should be redefined to fit real human criterium..perhaps phrased as this - She was not developed enough as a female human being to enter into a relationship with the opposite sex...lazyness - lack of human and spiritual understanding leads taking the easy way out. If this person could not do their biological natural duty then how do you expect her to do her civic duty? In the old days before these doors were created to avoid real responsiblity - gays married and had children and had wives and husbands...and kept their flighty sexual facinations to themselves...it was better - do your human duty - but selfishness prevails - who needs a selfish Premier...decisions will be made to suit her percieved needs and not those of the common community.

I was ignoring this thread but now I am really curious. Who got banned over it?

I looked at it briefly, found nothing worth commenting on, and moved on. Now I wish it was archived so I could read it. :lol:

Btw, as long as they were playing with the thread, and deleting stuff, they might have renamed it.

Iceland, so far as I know, is not a lesbian PM. That is to say, there might somewhere in the world be a lesbian PM named Iceland, but if so, I don't believe this topic is about her life.

Edited by Argus

I looked at it briefly, found nothing worth commenting on, and moved on. Now I wish it was archived so I could read it. :lol:

Btw, as long as they were playing with the thread, and deleting stuff, they might have renamed it.

Iceland, so far as I know, is not a lesbian PM. That is to say, there might somewhere in the world be a lesbian PM named Iceland, but if so, I don't believe this topic is about her life.

Yep, they should have corrected my typo. :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least, the idea of a lesbian head of government does not bother you. Good.