Canadian Political Polls

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. There is a big difference between admiring a leader and supporting the party...in this case, while Layton might get 24% his party will be lucky to get 15% nationally. Which will make them last.

The Bloc which will get more seats and rightfully so will get upwards to 36% in Quebec.

All the NDP need do to improve their results is to convince at least 10 more out of 100 Canadians that they aren't damgerous.

An impossible task.

Morris - impossible because they go out of their way to paint themselves as off the mainstream when in many ways they're not. Layton promised a 22% corporate tax... which is fairly low... and they didn't make it well known at all. Why they have mainstream policies, but try to appear as hippies is anyone's guess. They probably feel guilty about something.

In any case, they should start telling the wingnuts to be quiet and make an explicit announcement that they're moving towards the centre. The liberals in the UK died in the 1970s, and with the right moves, they can squeeze them out like Labour did, or like Reform did in the 1990s in Canada.

The NDP numbers do not change when the LPC numbers fall. The myth is that there is a generic LPC swing voter that votes NDP when the LPC are not desired.

Today's seat projection validates your position. The chart shows Liberals & CPC virtually tied in July, but since then, Liberals have lost 34 and Tories gained 32. The inverse relationship in play this year is pretty clear.

It is a sea change departure from the NDP/Liberal movements over the past five years. Check out the NDP downspikes to 21/12/13. With each there was a corresponding upspike for the Grits.

Couldn't they also just cross the floor and invade it? Actions always speak better than words.

LOL

The Liberals got the NDP wingnuts already. There known as Rae and Dosanjh. Two of the biggest failures in electoral politics.

The Non Wingnuts appear to get elected and re elected and remain in the NDP. :ph34r:

Common sense is taking hold. Liberals were losing to the right and now they are clearly losing to the left. That's what happens when you stand for nothing. If Layton plays his cards right (pardon the pun), he could keep mowing down the Liberal Left.

I don't think it's anything to do with common sense (I hate that word). The Conservatives are doing a good job and the Liberals are doing terrible at communicating or even getting noticed.

That's two words. You're right though.....it can be a little patronizing at times...because one person's "common sense" can be nonsensical.

That's two words. You're right though.....it can be a little patronizing at times...because one person's "common sense" can be nonsensical.

I wouldn't be swinging from the rafters just yet folks. It seems to me there is a bunch of dirt being dug up, most of it looks very Tory. It will take time to play out, but I will suggest that there will be a swing away from the Tory party soon.

I wouldn't be swinging from the rafters just yet folks. It seems to me there is a bunch of dirt being dug up, most of it looks very Tory. It will take time to play out, but I will suggest that there will be a swing away from the Tory party soon.

The Liberals have been saying that for a year, but nothing has swung their way even though in the last poll the Cons dropped 2% none of that went to the Liberals. Even if their is a Con drop that does not mean it will go to the Liberals.

I take it you're referring to the allegations that Canada is complicit in war crimes and this will undo the Conservatives. Consider that Colvin was in Afghanistan for 17 months in the period 2006-7, immediately following the defeat of the Liberals. In that period, the Conservatives increased Canada's oversight of the transfer of detainees. So Calvin's claims have just as much to do with the Liberals' handling of the file. Once these facts are established at the Special House committee, you really think Canadians pin the whole thing on Conservatives?

I take it you're referring to the allegations that Canada is complicit in war crimes and this will undo the Conservatives. Consider that Colvin was in Afghanistan for 17 months in the period 2006-7, immediately following the defeat of the Liberals. In that period, the Conservatives increased Canada's oversight of the transfer of detainees. So Calvin's claims have just as much to do with the Liberals' handling of the file. Once these facts are established at the Special House committee, you really think Canadians pin the whole thing on Conservatives?

I know they wont pin on the only party to be against this thing from the start we might see the NDP take over the Liberals for this reason.

Lastest Ekos Poll

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/11/25/ekos-poll025.html

The poll, commissioned by the CBC and released Thursday, suggests the Conservatives would have the support of 36.9 per cent of eligible voters and the Liberals 27.1 per cent.

The NDP would follow at 15.3 per cent, the Green Party at 11.4 per cent and the Bloc Québécois at 9.4 per cent, according to the poll.

While the Conservatives continued to hold the lead in voter support, approval of the government's direction dropped among those polled in the last week.

EKOS conducted the poll between Nov. 11 and Nov. 24.

EKOS surveyed 5,759 Canadians from across the country over the age of 18. It's one in a series of weekly polls conducted by EKOS and released by CBC News.

The margin of error for this survey is plus or minus 1.3 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

So the CPC has held fairly steady thus far and the issues some thought would affect their numbers hasn't to date and I don't really think they will

It is interesting to note that the CPC's approval rating is slipping though this is to be expected the longer they hold power. Heretofore this hasn't translated into the poll numbers and I don't think it will until such time as Canadians perceive they have a viable alternative.

• 2 weeks later...