Canadian Political Polls

I use my credit card for everything and I pay it before the month is up. I pay it on the internet every 2 weeks or so. I make over $100 a year in rebates, I don't have any type of fee, and I have never been charged a cent of interest...and I don't plan to ever be charged any credit card interest either.

If you need to spend a great deal of money, low interest long term financing like a line of credit is the way to go. You should never use a credit card as a long term loan.

Edited by Smallc

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a good credit card you get cash back. It's pretty stupid to not use a credit card to buy things. You also get extended warranties, etc.
What annoys me is the way credit card companies force retailers to offer the same price to credit card payers. I would rather get the 1% cash back directly from the merchant instead having to go through a credit card company that charges the merchant 3-5% transation fee.

I think forcing credit card companies to remove this restriction would not only help merchants it would give people an incentive to use cash instead of credit.

Edited by Riverwind

It should be obvious, but unfortunately it isn't to some people. And then you have people like punked, who want to make it even less important to have to be responsible for their finances. Easy, cheap money for all.

That is what the banks say everytime they take their loans out from the Canadian tax payers to finance these credit cards at .25% interest then charge 20-30% interest be careful what you wish for some credit card companies in the states are now charging 80% interest.

But start a new thread on this and I will be happy to argue the point that government has every right to regulate those interest rates on those who take their money from the Bank of Canada.

Edited by punked

But start a new thread on this and I will be happy to argue the point that government has every right to regulate those interest rates on those who take their money from the Bank of Canada.
An 80% interest rate is already against the law in Canada.

http://duhaime.org/LegalDictionary/U/Usury.aspx

“criminal rate means an effective annual rate of interest calculated in accordance with generally accepted actuarial practices and principles that exceeds 60% on the credit advanced under an agreement or arrangement."
I think efforts should be better spent teaching people how to use credit responsibly.

The Conservatives are at 40.7 percent, up a point from last week and 3 points more than they won in the election."

I think not unexpected with Tories handing out checks in their ridings all over the place in the last several days. However, as has been noted by a few...

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2104119

They should beware because nothing fires up angry voters more than being bribed with their own money.

People eventually start to realize that it isn't only their area getting money but it is happening all over and that the tab for the party is getting larger.

At the moment, the fear of an election is keeping Liberal numbers down. At some point, the fear of the mounting debt is going to creep into the number for the Tories. And as they keep conveniently reminding us, it is their party right down to the last MP who is doing the spending.

Moreover, when some of the spending is analyzed:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1147746.html

A pattern of heavy spending in Conservative ridings uncovered in a Chronicle Herald analysis of federal stimulus spending is just business as usual, part of a long bipartisan pattern of using tax dollars for political gain, say political observers.
Edited by jdobbin

"Ekos puts the Liberals now at 25.5 percent, down slightly from last week and below the 26.3 percent they got in the 2008 election.

The Conservatives are at 40.7 percent, up a point from last week and 3 points more than they won in the election."

http://www.reuters.com/article/bondsNews/i...528884820091015

Indeed it is looking good for the CPC at this time. Considering there is no election in sight at this time the question remains can the CPC maintain the momentum until such time as one can be called. What is also unclear is whether this is solid support or a bubble. One thing’s for certain as of right now they're within striking distance of the majority they so desperately want.

Indeed it is looking good for the CPC at this time. Considering there is no election in sight at this time the question remains can the CPC maintain the momentum until such time as one can be called. What is also unclear is whether this is solid support or a bubble. One thing’s for certain as of right now they're within striking distance of the majority they so desperately want.

If the numbers still seem to hold, or in fact improve by the Spring, then the Conservatives will likely be in real majority territory. I have a feeling this isn't a bubble, but in part optimism over the economy and in part Iggy's meltdown.

But using polls as a measure of whether an election should be called is a bit of a voodoo science. Still, if the numbers hold through the winter, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a spring election.

No, what's keeping the Liberal numbers down, is that people just don't like them, or trust them.

And if they go up, I'm sure you'll say it is the media and the ethnic vote and get all angry, right?

Harper is benefiting from people not wanting an election now. We'll see if he continues to benefit from staying in power or whether there are a few bumps in the road ahead.

But using polls as a measure of whether an election should be called is a bit of a voodoo science. Still, if the numbers hold through the winter, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a spring election.

Right after the Olympics and a budget perhaps.

We'll see. The high dollar is likely to have some repercussions some of which that could affect the polls up and down. The euphoria of shopping trips or buying power might be tempered with a renewed round of lay-offs.

And if they go up, I'm sure you'll say it is the media and the ethnic vote and get all angry, right?

I didn't realize you were that racist. Nice strawman though.

Harper is benefiting from people not wanting an election now.

Yep. When voter's are satisfied with the government, they tend to not want an election. That's how things work. :rolleyes:

I didn't realize you were that racist. Nice strawman though.

Think I was making a joke about what some people in the past have said about how the vote went. You did get all angry though so at least your consistent.

Yep. When voter's are satisfied with the government, they tend to not want an election. That's how things work. :rolleyes:

But that is where the polls have shown you are wrong. As Ekos pointed out, there is no great love for Harper at all. His support was tied with the Liberals until there was a threat of an election. You make out that the Tory numbers rose completely based on satisfaction. Doesn't really look like it, does it?

You did get all angry though so at least your consistent.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I see you've resorted back to your traditional political hackery and lying again. So in that regard, I guess you're consistent.

But that is where the polls have shown you are wrong. As Ekos pointed out, there is no great love for Harper at all. His support was tied with the Liberals until there was a threat of an election. You make out that the Tory numbers rose completely based on satisfaction. Doesn't really look like it, does it?

Well, they seem to be satisfied enough not to want to change governments. You really can't blame them seeing as though their only alternatives are Layton and Iggy. :lol:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I see you've resorted back to your traditional political hackery and lying again. So in that regard, I guess you're consistent.

I think the lying is your department. Not to mention the derangement syndrome. And the anger. And the political hackery.

Have you ever been right about anything?

Well, they seem to be satisfied enough not to want to change governments. You really can't blame them seeing as though their only alternatives are Layton and Iggy. :lol:

The message in all the polls that you worship at has been that the voters want Parlaiment to work and not resort to an election. You seem to think that means satisfaction which clearly the polls have shown have not resonated.

Harris Decima poll:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...015?hub=QPeriod

The Canadian Press Harris-Decima survey put the Tories at 35 per cent nationally, compared with 28 per cent for the Liberals.

The NDP was at 15 per cent, while the Greens and Bloc Quebecois were tied at 10 per cent.

The Conservatives jumped to a four-point lead in Ontario with 40 per cent support, and they continued to dominate in the West.

However, the Tories trailed badly in Quebec at just 15 per cent -- nine points back of the Liberals and 26 points behind the Bloc.

The Liberals were ahead in only one region -- Atlantic Canada -- where they led the Tories by three percentage points and the NDP by five.

It appears Quebec remains a big factor in not having a clear majority.

It will be interesting to see the breakdowns a little more clearly in this large sample poll.

The Ekos poll showed some recovery for the Liberals in some cities.

I think the lying is your department. Not to mention the derangement syndrome. And the anger. And the political hackery.

When have I ever posted angry over the "ethnic vote?" I expect an apology, or I'm going to contact an Admin. That type of racist bile shouldn't be tolerated here.

When have I ever posted angry over the "ethnic vote?" I expect an apology, or I'm going to contact an Admin. That type of racist bile shouldn't be tolerated here.

Good luck with that.

Given your comments on Obama children, I don't think you have a leg to stand on.

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index....st&p=381711

Edited by jdobbin

If the numbers still seem to hold, or in fact improve by the Spring, then the Conservatives will likely be in real majority territory. I have a feeling this isn't a bubble, but in part optimism over the economy and in part Iggy's meltdown.

I never saw these high numbers coming for the Conservatives. I pretty well agreed with the pundits that said a government that presides over a recession gets punished. Some punishment!

“They're really taking off,” EKOS president Frank Graves said of the Tories. Describing it as “fascinating,” he noted as well that the pattern of Canadians retreating from the Tories when they see them moving into majority territory is not being repeated in his poll.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politi...article1324836/

It's safe to say that the "scary" Harper/Conservative meme makes it into the dustbin of history.

It's safe to say that the "scary" Harper/Conservative meme makes it into the dustbin of history.

Not scared if there is no immediate election. You think the numbers stay where they are if Harper is the one who brings about an election?

Edited by jdobbin

I think not unexpected with Tories handing out checks in their ridings all over the place in the last several days. However, as has been noted by a few...

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2104119

And well, well, well, it looks as though the hypocrite does read the Naitonal Post afterall. :lol: And just ignores it when there's a poll he doesn't like. :rolleyes:

First, we'll have to see the Tory polls fall and the Liberal vote rise! Sooner or later the drain from the Liberals will exceed the swing vote and start eating into their "hard core". Those votes will likely vote NDP or abstain before they vote for the CPC.

We're talking 6 months from now. That's an eternity in politics. Perhaps by spring the Liberals will be at 50% in the polls and Ignatieff will be more popular than sliced bread!