Dion to step down, reports say

It has been posted here a few times. It was the letter they sent to the Governor General and wrote their names on. It told the Governor General that the Tories were prepared to become government with the support of the Bloc and NDP.

That is a signed deal.

While Tory support was even with the Liberals at the time this letter was sent, Harper was still below Martin's personal support. The budget could have been an issue but the Liberals accepted amendments wanted by the other parties and there was almost nothing left to vote no on.

Smells like a farm Dobbin....yoiu might want anew shovel.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianp...w1bJZ2p-lrkQO-Q

The Canadian Press has learned that Stephane Dion will resign as Liberal leader today.

A close associate of Dion's says he will issue a statement shortly, clearing the way for Michael Ignatieff to take over.

Liberals want a new leader in place before a vote on the federal budget Jan. 27 that could plunge the country into another election or replace the Conservatives with a coalition government.

Ignatieff is expected to be installed as leader Wednesday by a vote of party MPs and senators.

Looks like it is all over except for Rae's pleas to go to the rank and file.

Here is the announcement:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

"There is a sense in the party, and certainly in the caucus, that given these new circumstances the new leader needs to be in place before the House resumes. I agree. I recommend this course to my party and caucus."

It proves that the liberals have never cared about their grassroots. Total top down approach.

How does this prove anything? it proves that they believe they need to move fast... and if Ignatieff is the front runner in caucus, and he came second last time behind dion there is really not much of a point in have a vote among all members of the liberal party...

How does this prove anything? it proves that they believe they need to move fast... and if Ignatieff is the front runner in caucus, and he came second last time behind dion there is really not much of a point in have a vote among all members of the liberal party...

Their is always a point in having a democratice vote, so people feel that they have had their say. If you don't have that vote no matter what you think the result will be democracy has not been served. It smacks of elitism.

Their is always a point in having a democratice vote, so people feel that they have had their say. If you don't have that vote no matter what you think the result will be democracy has not been served. It smacks of elitism.

If people weren't so god damn stupid they would see their party is in a dire situation, electing a leader would take months but they need it in weeks.

Liberals elected representatives... the representatives have deicded they need a leader, and they need it now.... democracy served.

If people weren't so god damn stupid they would see their party is in a dire situation, electing a leader would take months but they need it in weeks.

Liberals elected representatives... the representatives have deicded they need a leader, and they need it now.... democracy served.

It baffles me that you regularly call your fellow Canadians and Albertans stupid when the IQ co-efficient of your posts have been shown repeatedly to be seriously lacking.

Glass houses and all.

No sir that is not democracy served. Why do think there is a delgate process in place? So people get their say. Now I understand why you take the sides of the argument that you do, you really don't care to vote, you see democracy as pointless. Thank god the majority of Canadians don't think like you. You would have loved living under stalin.

No sir that is not democracy served. Why do think there is a delgate process in place? So people get their say. Now I understand why you take the sides of the argument that you do, you really don't care to vote, you see democracy as pointless. Thank god the majority of Canadians don't think like you. You would have loved living under stalin.

Do canadians want to vote for every issue? No they are lazy and only want elections once every 4 years...

I am pro democracy... we don't really have a democracy... it's all a lie.... we don't vote for anything... saying democracy isn't served this way may be somewhat true... but we don't really have a true democracy.

Do canadians want to vote for every issue? No they are lazy and only want elections once every 4 years...

I am pro democracy... we don't really have a democracy... it's all a lie.... we don't vote for anything... saying democracy isn't served this way may be somewhat true... but we don't really have a true democracy.

Canadians don't have elections every 4 years we have them when the GG disolves parliment at the request of the PM. The maximum termin Canada is 5 years.

It is America where they have elections every 4 years.

You have already shown you have no idea what democracy is and that you would leave all the decisions to someone else because you find it to be an inconvience.

I'd gladly vote on a regular basis, say every 6 months or so, on a range of issues. If you look at these threads carefully you will find that most conservatives are actually opposed to direct democracy and referendums. Try to suggest for example that Canadians vote directly on whether troops should be used in Afghanistan and you'll see what I mean. As for reforming the political system in Canada the loudest objections to something like proportional representation routinely comes from conservatives.

If there is anything that kills my incentive to vote its the fact I only get to do so once in a blue moon. I certainly don't subscribe to the notion that my MP actually does represent me even if I don't vote for them.

I agree, but I think your statement about Canadians being to lazy to vote only plays into the hands of your opponants and is more like a self-fullfilling prophecy than a statement of fact. I think if you look carefully you'll find that most Canadians DO want to have more votes on issues and I think if you look really closely you'll find most of these are NOT conservative in their outlook and do not vote Conservative during general elections.

Maybe with modern technology we can vote everyday on all issues...until the guys who created American style voting machines take over and corrupt the market that will soon be "vote from home".

Maybe? We could have started voting on two or three major issues a year via the Internet at least 10 years ago and probably by telephone and fax for decades before that. It doesn't matter how modern our technology is however so long as regressive conservatives like max and cynical liberals like -VMG- insist our democratic system remain rooted in the horse and buggy era.

It proves that the liberals have never cared about their grassroots. Total top down approach.

Coming from someone who supports Harper that is rich. Harper probably has one of the biggest top down parties in recent memory.

The Liberals need a leader immediately even if it is an interim leader. I thought it should have been McCallum personally and still do.

I'd prefer a phone vote before mid-January but don't know what sort of logistics are required for that. With only two leadership candidates, I can't imagine it is impossible to expedite the leadership selection.

Even if it goes to the delegate convention, I can't imagine a scenario where Ignatieff doesn't come out on top.

Coming from someone who supports Harper that is rich. Harper probably has one of the biggest top down parties in recent memory.

The Liberals need a leader immediately even if it is an interim leader. I thought it should have been McCallum personally and still do.

I'd prefer a phone vote before mid-January but don't know what sort of logistics are required for that. With only two leadership candidates, I can't imagine it is impossible to expedite the leadership selection.

Even if it goes to the delegate convention, I can't imagine a scenario where Ignatieff doesn't come out on top.

They're saying that the Liberal convention is quite possibly going to be a rubber stamp. Which IMO is good for the party as it really cuts down on unnecessary campaigning expenses.

It looks like the MPs will pick Ignatieff and hopefully the convention for the Liberals sake will be a rubber stamp affair. Rae can go fly a kite as far as I'm concerned.

They're saying that the Liberal convention is quite possibly going to be a rubber stamp. Which IMO is good for the party as it really cuts down on unnecessary campaigning expenses.

They certainly can't take their leisurely time about it. We'll see if they try to satisfy some of the objections about voting though. I still think it will end with Ignatieff winning.

Totally political, accepts no responsibility and apparently even the problems with the Liberal party and more particularly his leadership all fall at Harpers feet. Not a graceful exit.
In Montreal last night, following a candle-lighting ceremony for victims of the Mumbai terrorist attacks, Mr. Dion was in no mood to respond to a reporter's question about calls for him to step down.

"I knew it, I knew it," he said, as if tricked by the question, before walking off.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1046032

Sounds like another Dion "it's all the media's fault" moment.

Thats funny haha. I have seen policy that was created by the grassroots implimented by the party, infact the blue book is written by the grassroots, unlike the liberals red book which was written by the elite of the party.

One of the former lib advisor said they can have everything wrapped up by Dec.20th, that electing a new leader, if everyone agrees with Iggy for the new leader of the party and that is with the presidents of the memberships, mps, senators and the executive voting. I heard Rae say he will go along with the majority if that is what they want. I don't think Rae wants that way but he's out voted and its more important to prepared either for another election or to get on with the government business.