Dion to step down, reports say

I respectfully disagree with this train of thought. How many elections have we had in the last 5 years? How many have resulted in a minority government? I think the prudent thing to do is let the House unfold as it should. This is the Westminster way and I don't see why we should make an exception for Harper and his Refor...Canadian Allian.....Conservatives. Let this be a lesson to the Extreme right wing that you can't lead with a carte blanch(sp) mentallity when you only hold 37% of the seats.

Incorrect (again going 2/2 here)

The Conservatives won 37% of the popular VOTE. They have almost 50% of the seats.

If you are going to call a good chunk of the Canadian public, ignorant, uneducated fascists it would behoove you to have your facts straight else you end up looking like a fool.

Your choice.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The part i heard from Harper was complete fear mongering... and apparently everyone ate that up.

I am hoping Canadians aren't as stupid as i think they are at this particular point in time. A coalition may not be the answer... but don't make the mistake of giving Harper a majority government in the process.

Mistake, a Harper led Majority would be the best Majority this country has seen since Sir John A.

YOu are the one who ius fear mongering, the left has been doing this for years and years and years. You always talk about the secret agenda but it has now been proven that it is the left in this country that has the secret agenda.

I respectfully disagree with this train of thought. How many elections have we had in the last 5 years? How many have resulted in a minority government? I think the prudent thing to do is let the House unfold as it should. This is the Westminster way and I don't see why we should make an exception for Harper and his Refor...Canadian Allian.....Conservatives. Let this be a lesson to the Extreme right wing that you can't lead with a carte blanch(sp) mentallity when you only hold 37% of the seats.

Why not the Liberals did it with 38%. Give it a rest.

Incorrect (again going 2/2 here)

The Conservatives won 37% of the popular VOTE. They have almost 50% of the seats.

If you are going to call a good chunk of the Canadian public, ignorant, uneducated fascists it would behoove you to have your facts straight else you end up looking like a fool.

Your choice.

My bad, my apologies, should have proof read my post, but there again 37% of the popular vote does not constitute a majority, I think we can all agree on this. yes? Can we also agree then that forming a coalition government would not be setting a prescedent? With that in mind why should the conservatives be granted another election when the previous two have resulted in minority governments? By the way this 'good chunk' is not representative of 63% of those who voted. Riddle me this, what if an election is called and yet another conservative minority government is the result, which would probably be the outcome, would it then be OK so to speak,for the Liberals and NDP to form a coalition with the support of the BQ?

My bad, my apologies, should have proof read my post, but there again 37% of the popular vote does not constitute a majority, I think we can all agree on this. yes? Can we also agree then that forming a coalition government would not be setting a prescedent? With that in mind why should the conservatives be granted another election when the previous two have resulted in minority governments? By the way this 'good chunk' is not representative of 63% of those who voted. Riddle me this, what if an election is called and yet another conservative minority government is the result, which would probably be the outcome, would it then be OK so to speak,for the Liberals and NDP to form a coalition with the support of the BQ?

It's 'ok' if they do it now, according to the rules in place.

They may not be too popular with the electorate the next time an election does come around however.

You may also want to check out the polls that have come out recently that indicate the the Conservatives are well within majority territory right now because of this fiasco.

The Liberals have made a very large strategic mistake hoping for a tactical victory.

This is worse than a phyric victory.

Hannibal did much better.

Edited by White Doors

Even if his English was better, he'd still be a lousy communicator (I'm surprised the Liberals didn't get him to work on his English before the last election, I find it takes real effort to understand him).

when he speaks, he reminds me of inspector clouseau.

"I would like to buy an umberger"

he may be a smart man, but he's a policy adviser and thats where he should be.

he may be a smart man, but he's a policy adviser and thats where he should be.

He's a passionate, emotionally driven man. I don't think he has a rational bone in his body. Kyoto was never right for Canada or the environment. He thought it was good policy because it was doing what everyone else was doing. Same goes for the current situation. We must spend billions because everyone else is doing it.

http://www.680news.com/news/headlines/more...05_160457_18284

There are reports Friday afternoon that Stephane Dion will step down as federal Liberal leader as early as Christmas.

That's according to CTV and a Liberal party source, who told Thestar.com that Dion's early departure is a good possibility.

I haven't heard anything else on this but it is breaking news now.

More from the Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/549227

"There's a good possibility that he will step down early" as leader, said one well-placed Liberal insider.

CTV News reported this afternoon that Dion would likely be resigning his position as interim chief before Christmas. But there was no immediate statement from Dion's office on his future.

Many Liberals have expressed concerns about going into another election with Dion heading the party if they join with the New Democrats and Bloc Quebecois to vote down the Jan. 27 federal budget and defeat the government.

Edited by jdobbin

It's a new ball game. Soon we will be able to gauge Harper's mettle against a leader other than a weakling. Disposing of Dion is only half the Liberals problem - choosing the right new leader is absolutely crucial. Whatever it takes, the new man must be Ignatieff.

It's a new ball game. Soon we will be able to gauge Harper's mettle against a leader other than a weakling. Disposing of Dion is only half the Liberals problem - choosing the right new leader is absolutely crucial. Whatever it takes, the new man must be Ignatieff.

Either way, the conservatives will not be happy about this. I personally believe that a new Liberal leader will only strengthen the coalition's resolve.

Either way, the conservatives will not be happy about this. I personally believe that a new Liberal leader will only strengthen the coalition's resolve.

LOL..........they are too busy fighting each other to be a threat to anybody right now!

What's wrong with Monday? Why wait till christmas? I can't stand looking at that his face. Are they going to gag him until he resigns?

He doesn't think he is giving us a Christmas Present by resigning does he?

Even though the Liberal party constitution does not provide for dumping a leader without a full-blown democratic convention, (believe me, many really smart people have tried every angle), hopefully enough wise men and women will prevail upon Dion to effect his resignation in favour of an interim leader appointed by the elected volunteers on the party executive, in consultation with the caucus.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/f...-to-resign.aspx

It looks like Dion is in hiding again, just like after election night. I don't envy the task facing the Party's executive. This guy doesn't get the message that he is not wanted and will refuse to exit gracefully.

Dion is a disgrace. He was hand picked by Chretien to join government explicitly to fight the separatist forces in Quebec. Then he turns around and forges an alliance with the very people he vilified all the years he was Minister for Intergovernmental Affairs. And some describe him as a man of principle. It's enough to make you gag!

You're a funny one Thor, but for some reason I don't think you get your own jokes.

The coalition is over, and I suspect so are Bob Rae's leadership hopes as he plans to flog that dead horse all over in the coming weeks.

Iggy was the back room voice of reason and will likely be making another back room deal with Harper to orchastrate the passing of much legislation over the next couple of years, that will be the price the Liberals will pay for NOT having an election.

Layton, after leading the NDP to within site of civiliztion will be leading them right back into the wilderness.

Oh, funny thing on the CBC last night, Chantel Herbert says something to the effect, you know just like a cat who has nine lives it appears Dion is doomed to nine deaths.

Edited by Slim MacSquinty

Just when they fought successfully for a 7 week reprieve, suddenly they must adjust to their meal ticket being cancelled. The horror...the horror...

If you thought phase 1 was bad, wait till phase 2 kicks in!!! The freight train has left the station and doesn't make any unscheduled stops!! Attack ads for everybody!!! The Liberals should just fold up their tent and go home. An election would be a disaster for the left wing in Canada, the silent majority dragon has been awakened!!!

Just when they fought successfully for a 7 week reprieve, suddenly they must adjust to their meal ticket being cancelled. The horror...the horror...

I wonder if after they're given a vote of non-confidence if we'll see yet another name change from the Reformist Alliance? Oh wait< there you go!! A perfect name for our conservative friends who will become the official opposition as of Jan. 26th

If you thought phase 1 was bad, wait till phase 2 kicks in!!! The freight train has left the station and doesn't make any unscheduled stops!! Attack ads for everybody!!! The Liberals should just fold up their tent and go home. An election would be a disaster for the left wing in Canada, the silent majority dragon has been awakened!!!

IMHO I think you are mistaken when you assume that the 'silent majority' are all card carrying conservatives.