Coalition Government

madmax

Will the Government be brought down  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey Slim MacSquinty:

"

What utter drivel, worshipping the idol Obama, but what exactly has he done that warrants this worship?"

What has Bush done besides create the crisis for the USA and destroy the surpluses left to him by Bill Clinton? Obama is at least working on a plan. Bush's repsonse to the crisis to do nothing and wait until he is out of office.

"This is not the depression of 1929, there are so many differences it's doesn't deserve my attention, where is this crisis and how do you suppose Canada acting alone can make the slightest difference?"

So this means we do nothing except present some warmed over tax cuts and hope for the best. I won't be lectured by neo-cons on economics. You guys are responsible for the crisis thanks to deregulation of the finanical system and squandering surpluses by granting irresponisble tax cuts. You had better starting thanking Martin and Chrétien because they are the reason our ecomony has not hit the depths of the turmoil the American economy is currently experiencing. They knew how to balance a budget and create surpluses.

Maybe should wait around and do nothing to stimulate the economy. Watch more manufacturing collapse, watch comsumer confidence erode. Then you'll start seeing some more similarities to 1929.

...bullshit and stare into my eyes while telling bold faced lies in an attempt to justify filling their own pockets. Using the rules of parliment for your own benefit is an affront to democratic process"

Conservatives didn't get a majority (124 seats and 37% of the popular vote doesn't cut it) and they cannot govern like they have one --the real affront to democratic process. Harper thought he could kick his enemies when they were down. Guess he miscalculated.

...during bad economic times a steady hand on the tiller is necessary

Well at least we agree on something. That person needs to govern for all Canadians and put away the partisan political games. Harper created this instability by playing politics. Lets hope for all the sake of everyone, Slim, it gets resolved soon.

This is my third post-- I am liking this board

Edited by reasonoverpassion

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhm, okay. Perhaps there's one little item you neglected to think about. Many have spoken about how Harper "hates" the Liberals and wants to destroy them. I don't know if that's true. But I do know this; the NDP definitely would like to see the Liberals destroyed. They know very well that until they can supplant either the Liberals or the Tories as one of the big two - just as Labour did to the Liberals in the UK - they have no hope of ever grabbing power.

So let's examine the possibilities here. If you're Jack Layton you know that an election now or soon would decimate the Liberals, especially if they got the blame for it. So he helps Dion overturn the Conservative government and put Dion in as PM, and then, a month or so later, engineers the downfall of the new government on some pretext or other calculated to make the Liberals look as bad as possible.

The Liberals, already near bankruptcy, go into an election with no money and a lame duck leader everyone hates, divided and bitter, with no policies to speak of, and a furious electorate largely blaming the Liberals for another fast election. Can you say Jack Layton, Official Opposition leader? I know you can.

A coalition would allow the public to see Layton and the NDPs in action. If they can demonstrate they are as astute politicians as the Conservatives or the Liberals while in power, then the public might be willing to go the extra distance with him. It really is a safe place for Layton to be.

And who would call an election under this scenario? The Liberals, doing the "right" thing? The GG, who was appointed by Martin? Quit dreaming.

This is a thinly veiled attempt to grab power because the "stupid" voter didn't vote the cpc out. Our weak version of democracy is tottering all because the Liberals have no principles left. PET would never have done such a thing as this.

Let's remember that it was Harper who said he couldn't work with the oppositions parties and called the last election. Maybe Harper, himself, should step down and let someone else lead! He spent another 30 MIL. for an election that didn't solve the problem HE has with the opposition parties. This PM has lied so much and broken so many promises that if LIES were MONEY... Canada would have any deficit under the Conservatives!!

Let's remember that it was Harper who said he couldn't work with the oppositions parties and called the last election. Maybe Harper, himself, should step down and let someone else lead! He spent another 30 MIL. for an election that didn't solve the problem HE has with the opposition parties. This PM has lied so much and broken so many promises that if LIES were MONEY... Canada would have any deficit under the Conservatives!!

and will have a bigger one with the loony left at the helm

You think the Liberals were foolish to say no? How so?

Judging from the news reaction of people in this part of the world, a Liberal NDP coalition backed by the Bloc would be very foolish. On the other hand, Harper really did screw up. What he either forgot or doesn't understand about human nature is that if you kick someone often enough, eventually they will kick back even if it is suicidal. Unfortunately it will be the country that suffers no matter what happens from here on.

You think the Liberals were foolish to say no? How so?
How many times do I have to say this?

Harper is not going to lose a confidence motion so this whole coalition government scenario is a strange fantasy version of wishful thinking. It achieves two things: the Liberals look to be obsessed by power (which they are in fact) and it also more gravely shows that the Liberals are a little too close to the NDP.

I am also astonished by how otherwise intelligent people so quickly take for granted Duceppe and the Bloc's votes.

Why are you so sure the country is going to suffer?

Because it will be a weak government that has to kiss everyone's ass to remain in existence which means A: It will be very expensive. B: It won't last long and we will be into an election anyway.

As I said before, in the country's best interest, Harper should eat some crow and the opposition should be satisfied with that. They should then all get on with what they were elected to do.

On edit. The above comments refer to a coalition. In the event the Conservatives remain in power, they have indeed lost some credibility and public trust. Either way, that is not good for the country in the present climate.

Edited by Wilber

As I said before, in the country's best interest, Harper should eat some crow and the opposition should be satisfied with that. They should then all get on with what they were elected to do.

Harper will have to eat a lot of crow in order to stop this now. He crossed the line as far as the opposition is concerned. They're going to need something good in return.

Harper is not going to lose a confidence motion so this whole coalition government scenario is a strange fantasy version of wishful thinking. It achieves two things: the Liberals look to be obsessed by power (which they are in fact) and it also more gravely shows that the Liberals are a little too close to the NDP.

I am also astonished by how otherwise intelligent people so quickly take for granted Duceppe and the Bloc's votes.

It achieves much more than that. Our pathological PM is now in full retreat, already shelving an important aspect of the economic update. Humbled and grasping for time - thats the reality being played before the electorate.

Does it bother you that NDP influence in a potential coalition might mean increased spending for working Canadians - money you would rather see in corporate coffers?

It achieves two things: the Liberals look to be obsessed by power (which they are in fact) and it also more gravely shows that the Liberals are a little too close to the NDP.

Maybe thats what you see, but inn much of the country that often votes Liberlas, they see a party standing up for them and they see a party that is now mounting a real opposition. They see the NDP and Liberals working while the government releases an update that is slammed by economists and does nothing for them. The government looks terrible right now. I would think they would be glad the election was 6 weeks ago and not today.

Perhaps they should all put a little more thought into what the country needs rather than what they need.

The Prime Minster released an update that no other party could disagree with. Then, he says no compromise. What are the other parties supposed to do? How are they supposed to work with that?

The Prime Minster released an update that no other party could disagree with. Then, he says no compromise. What are the other parties supposed to do? How are they supposed to work with that?

He has already started to compromise albeit with the usual political bluster but that is to be expected. So what now?

So you think the Liberals should have accepted the Tory economic update as is.

The Tories bullied and blundered and now Tories are running around panicked that the Opposition has finally been pushed too far.

Don't think I have. I just know that very in the Opposition trust Harper not to go to an election in the next months anyway.

Edited by jdobbin

He has already started to compromise albeit with the usual political bluster but that is to be expected. So what now?

Too late. Harper will just do something like this again. He can't be trusted not to act without thinking of how it benefits him.

Perhaps they should all put a little more thought into what the country needs rather than what they need.

And that is a Conservative government who seem to want to drag their feet on an economic stimulus and throw as much poison as they can into a conciliatory Parliament.

Judging from the news reaction of people in this part of the world, a Liberal NDP coalition backed by the Bloc would be very foolish. On the other hand, Harper really did screw up. What he either forgot or doesn't understand about human nature is that if you kick someone often enough, eventually they will kick back even if it is suicidal. Unfortunately it will be the country that suffers no matter what happens from here on.

I can't see Harper changing his ways. I've said it many times and had Tories here swear on a stack of bibles that the man has seen the light. He hasn't. It is about conquering. It is about destroying. Politics is war and Harper wanted to go to an election all along. Still does probably but just not this fast.

You consider removing the gun from opposition foreheads, compromise? It is likely that since the train has left the station the process of coalition building will continue.

I, along with countless others, are rather enjoying the spectacle of Stephen Harper running scared.

So if the country is in such a bad economic state and the consumer confidence is so low, why did a local radio station here raise $11,000 more this year in a christmas drive?

I think that many can't tell the difference between media sensationalism in this country and the real news.

Edited by Alta4ever