Coalition Government

madmax

Will the Government be brought down  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There can be no coalition without factoring in the Bloc. The Liberals and the NDP don't have the numbers to make this possible. The mere fact that a coalition would involve the Bloc should be reason enough for the GG to reject the proposition. Surely such an issue should weigh in her decision to do what's best for the country, not just what's best for the politicians. If Jean should approve a Liberal/NDP/Bloc coalition, for sure her husband's past association with know separatists would be raised and become an issue. Madame Jean must be dreading returning from her European tour.

Doesn't Harper have some past association with known separatists too?

Edited by eyeball

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One can be caused by the other in this case. Its not about what you think is right, its about the Constitution and the decision of the Governor General.....and it all depends on whether or not the Government falls.

But the intent was different. A coalition wants to seize power. What the conservatives put forth was to let Canadians decide!

Exactly.

Or else the Tories could support the new government. You never know.

This is a good point, it would seem that the LPC, the NDP and the Bloc are all looking to do what is right in terms of the economy. The CPC on the other hand is again looking to do what is right for them and their agenda.

If the CPC (and they aren't the Tories) throw up roadblocks to getting the economy back on track and plan to disrupt any possible coalition, where will that leave them in terms of the electorate? They need the swing votes if they ever plan on a majority, they cannot alienate them by continuing to play stupid partisan games at the expense of getting things done.

But the intent was different. A coalition wants to seize power. What the conservatives put forth was to let Canadians decide!

Bollocks, I see the talking parts were mailed out. The coalition wants to do what is right for Canada and our sectors and economy, as opposed to doing what is right for the CPC and their agenda.

Harper screwed the pooch on this one, especially after all those conciliatory overtones... Perhaps he isn't the brilliant tactition and omnipotent genious you all think he is?

Edited by Shakeyhands

You're right....and nobody voted for this "coalition".

THAT IS MY PROBLEM WITH IT!!

:lol: Only someone inept and hamfisted could have found the missing spine of the Liberal Party. That said, I heard someone say that they grew a pair. Well. the pair is being shared, if you get my drift. A right nut and a left nut. (That is called a coalition) :P

The entire country voted for this parliment. The Prime Ministers job is to make it work or and test it with votes of confidence. When their is no confidence, many things happen, and it isn't going to be another unnecessary election.

If you are wondering why we discussing seriously what started out as a joke thread, is the DICK in the middle.

While Trudeau would raise his middle finger, and have new terminology introduced into the house..(Fuddleduddle), Mr Harper comes across as a first class prick, with an ax to grind.

Fact is, if you voted for Harper, then you may have inadvertantly voted for this coalition....and if you voted for the opposition parties, the unthinkable is occuring because of Mr. Harpers pointed gun after the fact. You don't disarm someone then pull the trigger. Well, he cocked it, and cocksure means you better know how to count.

Harper isn't smart enough to work the phones of parliment, they are running around with little attack dogs, shouting at every media source, that says.... Harper created a political crises during an economic crises.

Harper tried to cut his nuts off....... he may have made himself impotent.

Just pray Dion isn't Prime Minister.

But the intent was different. A coalition wants to seize power.

No, the coalition wants to remove a PM to replace him with one that will hopefully work. Up until Thursday I was behind Harper completely. I am fuming mad over the games he decided to play in the middle of a crisis. He deserves to be removed from power, and it should have been this Monday. What he did is simply inexcusable.

The other day on CTV news, they said there is a $51B in the EI account.

Yes, this is nothing new. The EI account, as discussed on other threads over the years, carries a large surplus, and is more difficult to collect, pays less, and doesn't last as long. So, the EI payments have been used to pay down the debt. There is NO separate EI account.

...nobody voted for this "coalition".

Just for the record a coalition government and anything but the Conservatives is exactly what I strategically voted for. I said so in many threads at MLW prior to the election and I also wrote letters saying what I wanted to the Green, Liberal and NDP candidates in my riding.

Its heartening to see someone is finally paying attention.

Edited by eyeball

Yes, this is nothing new. The EI account, as discussed on other threads over the years, carries a large surplus, and is more difficult to collect, pays less, and doesn't last as long. So, the EI payments have been used to pay down the debt. There is NO separate EI account.

Actually, I think Harper changed that didn't he?

Ummmm, political parties do run the country. They're an integral element of our system. If they wanted to eliminate the subsidies, they should have rolled back everything that came with them. And again, I point out that every other industrialized country but 1 uses the same public financing.

That's correct and you cleverly left out the country which does not have Public Funding of Political Parties.

The United Kingdom to whom our governor general is beholden and to which our parlimentary system is modelled from.

The Labour Party has seen no need to fund themselves with public monies.

And this many parties won seats...

table indicates those parties with over 500 votes nationwide Seats Gains Losses Net

Gain/Loss Seats % Votes % Votes +/–

Labour 356

Conservative 198

Liberal Democrat 62

Scottish National Party 6

Democratic Unionist 9

Plaid Cymru 3

Sinn Féin 5

Ulster Unionist 1

Social Democratic and Labour 3

Independent 1

Respect 1

Health Concern !

of 58 political parties.

That's correct and you cleverly left out the country which does not have Public Funding of Political Parties.

The United Kingdom to whom our governor general is beholden and to which our parlimentary system is modelled from.

The Labour Party has seen no need to fund themselves with public monies.

And this many parties won seats...

of 58 political parties.

Sorry, I didn't realize they didn't have public funding. I was talking about the US system where money talks. Look, I have no problem with the funding disappearing, but if it does, you have to roll back the whole package.

Oh, and the GG is completely Canadian and beholden to no other country and we have no allegiance to anything British.

Quite the coalition. The balance of power would be in the hands of the Bloc whose only interest is to break up the country. I wonder what pound(s) of flesh Duceppe will ask for in exchange for supporting the Liberal/NDP coalition. What will Dion and Layton offer to the Bloc? What will the Bloc ask for? Scary, isn't it. The Liberals quest for power now has the stench of being willing to veer left to the NDP and to jump into bed with the separatists. How pathetic.

The opposition parties have said NOTHING about what they would do to provide a stimulus......yet they say that they will act within days of forming a coalition. Platitudes such as "we have to help the auto industry and the forestry sector" are nothing but that - platitudes. What are they going to do - how much money? To whom? When? What strings are attached? We are blessed with being in a better situation that almost all other G20 countries due to our fiscal strength and our sound banking systems. We have the luxury of providing minor stimulii while we wait for the US to address the auto sector and see how the Global injections help the market. The Conservatives have already said that they are prepared to provide unprecedented stimulii in their January budget if it's required. There are precious few dollars to work with and throwing money around without a plan is the worst thing one can do.

The opposition parties have said NOTHING about what they would do to provide a stimulus

Makes no difference. The train has left the station.

I just noticed that the Coalition side has overtaken the government side in this poll. Once again, exactly the opposite of the government funding poll, where those against the funding have taken the lead.

To better understand our Canadian politics I created a website geared to discuss what Canada thinks. To give me the opportunity to research important topics and write articles accordingly. As comments and discussions are had, the site content will change - driven by what Canada thinks. Comment on the pros and cons of the current government or on the current topics. Please check it out!

http://coalition.synapticrage.com

To better understand our Canadian politics I created a website geared to discuss what Canada thinks. To give me the opportunity to research important topics and write articles accordingly. As comments and discussions are had, the site content will change - driven by what Canada thinks. Comment on the pros and cons of the current government or on the current topics. Please check it out!

http://coalition.synapticrage.com

Looks lame.

I urge those in support to join the petition for the progressive coalition

http://www.progressivecoalition.ca/

There's that word 'progressive' again, implying that if you disagree you must be 'not progressive'.

Doubleplusungood!

Bring down this government.

Harper has no idea how to address the current economic crisis. Basically he is floating the same ideas that Herbert Hoover, Calvin Cooledge, RB Bennett had to solve the Great Depression-- they didn't work in 1929 and they won't work in 2008.

People need to wake up. The economic heartland of this county is in crisis and action is needed now. Like the action President Elect Obama is proposing for the USA and the action FDR and King took to solve the crisis in for their generation

Instead of building consensus and addressing the crisis Harper decided to kick the Opposition when it was down. We need to work together and stick together to address this crisis and the time for regional and partisan petty politics is over. If Harper can't build the coalition required to address the crisis he needs to step aside and make room for someone who can.

Bring down this government.

Harper has no idea how to address the current economic crisis. Basically he is floating the same ideas that Herbert Hoover, Calvin Cooledge, RB Bennett had to solve the Great Depression-- they didn't work in 1929 and they won't work in 2008.

People need to wake up. The economic heartland of this county is in crisis and action is needed now. Like the action President Elect Obama is proposing for the USA and the action FDR and King took to solve the crisis in for their generation

Instead of building consensus and addressing the crisis Harper decided to kick the Opposition when it was down. We need to work together and stick together to address this crisis and the time for regional and partisan petty politics is over. If Harper can't build the coalition required to address the crisis he needs to step aside and make room for someone who can.

Agreed. I also feel it will strengthen relations with the U.S again as the tories tried to sabatage Obama's campain, We need a leader that play's well with others and who can build friendship Harpers bum buddy Bush will soon be gone what the Torries done was destroy our relations this mad man needs to be stopped. he 's picked a fight with foriegn leader and within our own government how STUPID must one be.

Edited by johhny