Progressive Canadian Party

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't run many candidates, didn't gat all that many votes: are the old Tories of Diefenbaker and Sir John A. finally dead?

in the ridings in Ontario where they ran last time and again, they managed to increase their vote a little. In BC, one candidate had the same vote share and the other went down just a little.

Overall they averaged 1.2% of the vote in the ridings they were in (.45% in BC, 1.6% in NL, 1.43 in ON). Other then Surrey North, they finished 5th in all ridings behind the "Big 4" and in NL, Tobin finished 2 votes behind the Green candidate in 4th.

I think if the liberals go any more left ie Rae or Kennedy as leader, there is a chance that there will a defection away from them and possible back to the PC party

Of Diefenbaker, yes. John A.? No, he was in the Conservative party, not the Progressive Conservative party.

History is fun! you should try it!

The conservative name is still confusing, Progressive Conservatives within the provincial government and I think Harper should have gotten together with the provinces and came to agreeement to a name change. I like to hear Harper views of the diffences between PC and Conservatives.

The conservative name is still confusing, Progressive Conservatives within the provincial government and I think Harper should have gotten together with the provinces and came to agreeement to a name change. I like to hear Harper views of the diffences between PC and Conservatives.

Well, the Conservatives are conservative. That's a difference right there.

Overall they averaged 1.2% of the vote in the ridings they were in (.45% in BC, 1.6% in NL, 1.43 in ON). Other then Surrey North, they finished 5th in all ridings behind the "Big 4" and in NL, Tobin finished 2 votes behind the Green candidate in 4th.

.45%, 1.6%, 1.4%... our local Communist Party candidate got more than .45%. Candidates for nutso parties like Christian Heritage, Western Block, Marxist Leninist, and so on, often get from .5% to 1%. Independent candidates often get more than 1%, just from people who don't like any of the major parties.

If you literally just paid the entry fee and got enough nominations to get your name on the ballot, you could probably get 1% of the vote just from people who thought your name sounded nice.

Maybe next election I'll plunk down a deposit just to give it a try. "Kimmy? She sounds nice. I'll vote for Kimmy." Maybe I could even become a party. "The Kimmunist Party of Canada".

Yes, the "Progressive Canadian" party is dead, and it was dead at birth. It has no relation to the Progressive Conservatives of years gone by, other than being a crass attempt to cash in on a historic political brand.

One can only wonder if the left unites in the future whether there'll be similar attempts to rally people who can't adjust to reality. Names like "the Literal Party of Canada" and the "Nice Democratic Party", perhaps?

-k

I think if the liberals go any more left ie Rae or Kennedy as leader, there is a chance that there will a defection away from them and possible back to the PC party

Um... during the last Liberal leadership campaign, most of the 'Martin-faction' of fiscal conservatives were behind Rae. Rae has moved to the right-side of the Liberal party as heir to the Martin tradition (oddly enough).

Canada's sound banking system and robust fiscal position is owed to Paul Martin's reign at the Finance department.

Liberals are the party of fiscal discipline in Canada. The Conservatives under Harper are as irresponsible as the Mulroney set or the US Republicans. They don't walk the walk.

Um... during the last Liberal leadership campaign, most of the 'Martin-faction' of fiscal conservatives were behind Rae. Rae has moved to the right-side of the Liberal party as heir to the Martin tradition (oddly enough).

Canada's sound banking system and robust fiscal position is owed to Paul Martin's reign at the Finance department.

Liberals are the party of fiscal discipline in Canada. The Conservatives under Harper are as irresponsible as the Mulroney set or the US Republicans. They don't walk the walk.

I won't be surprised to see the Harper Conservatives have spent the surplus and put us into a deficit. This election contains a surprise and I think this may be it.

"Canada's sound banking system and robust fiscal position is owed to Paul Martin's reign at the Finance department.

Liberals are the party of fiscal discipline in Canada."

I wouldn't be so eager to credit Martin with much to do with the banking system or his great ideas as finance minister. Even Chretien has given credit to Michael Wilson for the financial plan that got us out of deficit, well that along with a number of other external factors and the FTA, Gst etc. The late Dalton Camp (who was a lifelong Liberal) had few good words for Martin or his fiscal abilities.

Of Diefenbaker, yes. John A.? No, he was in the Conservative party, not the Progressive Conservative party.

History is fun! you should try it!

Oh, and I guess you're thinking John A's Conservatives are the same as Steve H's Conservatives...? :lol: No, not quite...

Yeah, history is fun--that's why I majored in it... in a university... do you know what that is?

"Canada's sound banking system and robust fiscal position is owed to Paul Martin's reign at the Finance department.

Liberals are the party of fiscal discipline in Canada."

I wouldn't be so eager to credit Martin with much to do with the banking system or his great ideas as finance minister. Even Chretien has given credit to Michael Wilson for the financial plan that got us out of deficit,

Citation please.

well that along with a number of other external factors and the FTA, Gst etc. The late Dalton Camp (who was a lifelong Liberal) had few good words for Martin or his fiscal abilities.

?

If you literally just paid the entry fee and got enough nominations to get your name on the ballot, you could probably get 1% of the vote just from people who thought your name sounded nice.

Maybe next election I'll plunk down a deposit just to give it a try. "Kimmy? She sounds nice. I'll vote for Kimmy." Maybe I could even become a party. "The Kimmunist Party of Canada".

I'd say you're perfect for the neorhino.ca party...

That's the whole point. It's all part of the deception.

in the ridings in Ontario where they ran last time and again, they managed to increase their vote a little. In BC, one candidate had the same vote share and the other went down just a little.

They only ran ten candidates, though, and received about 2,000 less votes than in 2006. Dief must be spinning in his grave.

There are somethings that no matter who is governing, cannot be avoided.

this from a few papers

- Canada will be dragged into recession by a deep and protracted consumer-led downturn in the United States, as well as the loss of wealth in the Canadian stock market and the slowdown in the domestic housing market, Sherry Cooper, chief economist at BMO Capital Markets, warned in one of the grimmest assessments to date of the global and domestic economic situation by a major domestic financial institution. The good news, if it can be called that, is that Ms. Cooper expects Canada's recession to be milder than in the United States and other countries that have housing bubbles.

Scotiabank, which has already forecast a recession here, also projected yesterday that Canada's economy will actually shrink by 0.2 per cent next year, following only marginal growth of 0.5 per cent this year. A panel of Bay St. academics and other economists, joined in the warnings, urging the Bank of Canada to slash interest rates by another half a percentage point on Tuesday, its next preset date for any rate adjustments, and called on the federal government to implement "more measures to support Canada's financial system and real growth. The warnings increase pressure on Ottawa to restore confidence in shattered financial markets mounted yesterday with calls for the government to move "quickly" to guarantee borrowing, and for the Bank of Canada to undertake another round of deep rate cuts.

read more in these papers: (P. Vieira: NP FP1; E. Beauchesne: Ctz A1, Gaz B6, VTC B3, VProv A39, SSP D1, VSun H1 )

Oh, and I guess you're thinking John A's Conservatives are the same as Steve H's Conservatives...? :lol: No, not quite...

Yeah, history is fun--that's why I majored in it... in a university... do you know what that is?

Can you enlighten us on ways that John A's Conservatives were different than Stephen Harper's Conservatives or are you just blowing air out of your ass?

Can you enlighten us on ways that John A's Conservatives were different than Stephen Harper's Conservatives or are you just blowing air out of your ass?

Perhaps you could enlighten us how in what if any ways Steven Harper's Conservatives bear any relation to Reform? Could you name ANY important planks in their platform that are shared?

That being said, you might also try to point out any significant differences between Steven's party and the old Progressive Conservatives under Brian Mulroney.

I apologize for asking. I realize it might be easier to make a soup sandwich!

Perhaps you could enlighten us how in what if any ways Steven Harper's Conservatives bear any relation to Reform? Could you name ANY important planks in their platform that are shared?

Sir John A. was a loyal British subject, Steve H. is a republican neo-con who wants to turn us into another United States. Senate reform is only the tip of the iceberg, and arguably many Canadians believe that the S.S. Canada is unsinkable with Captain Steve H. at the helm... :rolleyes:

No it's alive and well. The Conservative Party of Canada is in power right now with the RH Stephan Harper as its leader. He is our Prime Minister.

The name must be confusing you: the party in power is in fact the Reform party. Calling themselves the Conservative party is all part of the deception...

The name must be confusing you: the party in power is in fact the Reform party. Calling themselves the Conservative party is all part of the deception...

I don't understand your rationale behind making this claim. I was a Reformer and am quite familiar with all the planks of the old Reform platform. It's my perspective that ALL of them were quietly dropped after the merger with the Progressive Conservative Party! The new party seems to actually be a clone of the old Mulroney party, with a bit more Chretien-style of a controlling PMO.

So if the new party has abandoning everything that made it the Reform Party, how can you make the claim that the present party is Reform in disguise?

Or are party platforms irrelevant to your definitions?

I don't understand your rationale behind making this claim. I was a Reformer and am quite familiar with all the planks of the old Reform platform. It's my perspective that ALL of them were quietly dropped after the merger with the Progressive Conservative Party! The new party seems to actually be a clone of the old Mulroney party, with a bit more Chretien-style of a controlling PMO.

So if the new party has abandoning everything that made it the Reform Party, how can you make the claim that the present party is Reform in disguise?

Or are party platforms irrelevant to your definitions?

The Progressive Conservative party still exists. They ran a candidate in Newmarket-Aurora I believe.

It is totally seperate from the Conservative Party of Canada.

Reform merged with the Alliance Party not the PC party.

I'd say that they share an interest in most of the things Reform believed in. However, the Harper Conservatives are a lot more pragmatic than the Reform Party was. They recognize that you can't do a thing if you're not in power. And being in power in Canada means compromise. You can't just lay down a platform that is pleasing to the right wing. You have to attract a lot of middle-of-the-roaders or you'll forever be a complaining voice in the wilderness.

I don't like seeing them spending money on things the federal government should not be spending money on. But I have watched the Liberals buy election after election since the seventies, and so it's hard for me to be really harsh on the Harper Tories as they spend more money than they ought to. Likewise, they are trying to suck up to the two groups which have always been barren wastelands for Tory votes; Quebec, and the huge immigrant communities. If they're going to get a majority, demographics are pretty firm in that they have to make major inroads into one or the other. And without a majority they are forever in pre-election mode, at the mercy of the polls. So yes, they've had to soften stands on a variety of issues, but at heart, they remain conservative, and where they can apply conservative beliefs they will.

That being said, you might also try to point out any significant differences between Steven's party and the old Progressive Conservatives under Brian Mulroney.

Were there any conservatives in that party? Were any of their ideas ever pushed, especially after Mulroney lost power? Joe Clark? A conservative? Joe was as much a conservative as Stephan Dion.

PS -- it ain't just the 1000$ deposit, you also need to obtain an elections canada qualified auditor -- no qualified auditor would act as my auditor so I was shut out of the election, even though I was intent on running a 0 expenses 0 donations campaign.. still I wasn't allowed to run. (regardless of that line in the charter stating.. all citizens can run for public office - elections canada doesn't support the constitution - yah elections canada is openly unconstitutional did you know?)

Also you need to obtain between 50 and 100 signatures from eligible voters.. although more is recommended .. this is within two or so weeks of the writ.. however major parties have special priveleges such as setting up (supplying the elections Canada polling station staff) the election and being allowed to preregister candidates (independants can't preregister although no reason is given why only the major parties are allowed to run the election .. fishy if you ask me)

.45%, 1.6%, 1.4%... our local Communist Party candidate got more than .45%. Candidates for nutso parties like Christian Heritage, Western Block, Marxist Leninist, and so on, often get from .5% to 1%. Independent candidates often get more than 1%, just from people who don't like any of the major parties.

Yes, the "Progressive Canadian" party is dead, and it was dead at birth. It has no relation to the Progressive Conservatives of years gone by, other than being a crass attempt to cash in on a historic political brand.

One can only wonder if the left unites in the future whether there'll be similar attempts to rally people who can't adjust to reality. Names like "the Literal Party of Canada" and the "Nice Democratic Party", perhaps?

-k

Edited by William Ashley