debate aftermath

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather see formal competative debates that are judged by people that are skilled at judging debates. The debators should be scored and eliminated one by one until only the two best people are left standing.

We can still all have the final say on election day and go back to our ideological favourites in the event they're also real losers when it comes to debating. I bet a few minds would be changed during the course of a campaign that included some real tangible debates structured in a fashion that leaves more to be lost or gained in terms of prestige and merit. That's why we'll likely never ever see such a thing.

Right... that would make her just the same as Harper or any other party leader...

Harper has a masters of economics and has spent the last twenty years involved in politics.

You know, if you really, really tried to think about things before writing, less people would mock how stupid and brainless your posts were.

Did anyone else notice that Harper wasn't wearing his wedding ring? I wonder if he's taking lessons from Vic Toews on how to act when his wife's not around?
I

I noticed that long time ago that there are some men among the Cons who are married but don't wear their rings. First I thought he had something to do with security, like the metal detector at Parliament but then I saw the women were wearing theirs. It probably that he had to take it off because of the weight he gained but he has lost 30 lbs lately.

I

I noticed that long time ago that there are some men among the Cons who are married but don't wear their rings. First I thought he had something to do with security, like the metal detector at Parliament but then I saw the women were wearing theirs. It probably that he had to take it off because of the weight he gained but he has lost 30 lbs lately.

This is sure to make its way to http://snopes.com/ .

Did anyone else notice that Harper wasn't wearing his wedding ring? I wonder if he's taking lessons from Vic Toews on how to act when his wife's not around?

Boy that must be some toaster to get through that tinfoil hat. Or is it both, I don't know

Harper's allergy to metal on his skin is a real bitch to that pathetic argument you posted. Time to put down the peace pipe.

Yes but he hasnt had a job. The NCC doesnt count....does it?

Dion has a BA and a MA. Apparently he hasnt worked either.

Well, at least someone said that recently.

Well Elisabeth May has had quite a few real jobs:

Elizabeth is a graduate of Dalhousie Law School and was admitted to the Bar in both Nova Scotia and Ontario. She has held the position of Associate General Counsel for the Public Interest Advocacy Centre, representing consumer, poverty and environment groups in her work.

In 1986, Elizabeth became Senior Policy Advisor to then federal Environment Minister, Tom McMillan. She was instrumental in the creation of several national parks, including South Moresby. She was involved in negotiating the Montreal Protocol to protect the ozone layer and new legislation and pollution control measures. In 1988, she resigned on principle when the Minister granted permits for the Rafferty-Alameda Dams in Saskatchewan as part of a political trade-off, with no environmental assessment. The permits were later quashed by a Federal Court decision that the permits were granted illegally.

Elizabeth is the author of five books, Budworm Battles (1982), Paradise Won: The Struggle to Save South Moresby (1990), At the Cutting Edge: The Crisis in Canada’s Forests (Key Porter Books, 1998, as well as a major new edition in 2004), co-authored with Maude Barlow, Frederick Street: Life and Death on Canada’s Love Canal (Harper Collins, 2000), and most recently, How to Save the World in Your Spare Time (Key Porter Books, 2006). Frederick Street focused on the Sydney Tar Ponds, and the health threats to children in the community – the issue that led her to protest in front of Parliament Hill over a seventeen-day hunger strike in May 2001.

She has served on numerous boards of environmental groups and advisory bodies to universities and governments in Canada, including the International Institute for Sustainable Development and the National Round Table on Environment and Economy and is currently a member of the Earth Charter International Council, co-chaired by Maurice Strong and Mikhail Gorbachev. Elizabeth is the recipient of many awards including the Outstanding Achievement Award from the Sierra Club in 1989, the International Conservation Award from the Friends of Nature, and the United Nations Global 500 Award in 1990. In 1996, she was presented with the award for Outstanding Leadership in Environmental Education by the Ontario Society for Environmental Education. In 1998, the “Elizabeth May Chair in Women’s Health and Environment” was created in her honour at Dalhousie University. She holds honourary doctorates from Mount Saint Vincent University, the University of New Brunswick and Mount Allison University. She is also the recipient of the 2002 Harkin Award from the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS). In 2006, Elizabeth was presented with the prestigious Couchiching award for excellence in public policy. Most importantly, she is the mother of fifteen year-old Victoria Cate.

In March 2006, Elizabeth stepped down as Executive Director of the Sierra Club of Canada, a post she had held since 1989, to run for the leadership of the Green Party of Canada. She was successful in her bid, was elected the Green Party’s ninth leader at their national convention in August 2006 with a clear majority of the votes.

Elizabeth is an Officer of the Order of Canada since 2005.

http://www.greenparty.ca/en/about_us/elizabeth_may/biography

Honestly, I think Elizabeth May did a great job at the english debate: she looked confident, she sounded informed and she clearly presented her party's positions. Sure, she took a lot of cheap shots at Harper, but that's what she needed to do to show she belongs there. If she sat there quietly, looking sheepish, a lot of people would use that to say The Greens have no business at the debate. I say, good job, Elizabeth May. She really presented herself well tonight.

Honestly, I think Elizabeth May did a great job at the english debate: she looked confident, she sounded informed and she clearly presented her party's positions. Sure, she took a lot of cheap shots at Harper, but that's what she needed to do to show she belongs there. If she sat there quietly, looking sheepish, a lot of people would use that to say The Greens have no business at the debate. I say, good job, Elizabeth May. She really presented herself well tonight.

She actually brought some facts to the table while the other leaders mostly repeated memorized campaign script fragments.

I think that for a first-timer she delivered an outstanding performance and brought more quality and value than some of the established leaders.

I'd love to see her in the Parliament.

:D

She actually brought some facts to the table while the other leaders mostly repeated memorized campaign script fragments.

I think that for a first-timer she delivered an outstanding performance and brought more quality and value than some of the established leaders.

I'd love to see her in the Parliament.

:D

The Greens don't have a chance of winning though. When watching the debates, you have to consider that no matter what May, Layton or Duceppe say, they won't be Prime Minister, so of course they're going to come out with the most ideological opinions and the biggest promises. If they won't actually have the ability to deliver, they can promise whatever they'd like. You can tell Dion and Harper have to be more careful about what they say. I highly doubt Layton or May would be nearly as entertaining or valuable if they actually had to deliver.

The Greens don't have a chance of winning though. When watching the debates, you have to consider that no matter what May, Layton or Duceppe say, they won't be Prime Minister, so of course they're going to come out with the most ideological opinions and the biggest promises. If they won't actually have the ability to deliver, they can promise whatever they'd like. You can tell Dion and Harper have to be more careful about what they say. I highly doubt Layton or May would be nearly as entertaining or valuable if they actually had to deliver.

May didn't make any outrageous promises.

But I'm sure if she ever gets a seat somehow she will be able to ensure elected government doesn't lose sight of the environmental issues.

I propose a moratorium on using terms like "tin foil hat," "moonbat," "wingnut" and "kool-aid." They add nothing to the discussion.

They wouldn't enter the discussion if people stuck to discussing facts instead of conspiracy theories. Can we have a moratorium on any discussion that the Conservatives are just like the Republicans, Harper being just like Bush, the SPP, NAU, AGW, and the like?

Edited by Bryan

I said this in the other topic, I'll say it here. She was doing OK until about 20 minutes left when she committed the biggest mistake of anyone in either debate.

She was given the opportunity to speak of what her first act as PM would be, in other words, what issue was most pressing to her at the time. She could have said economy, environment, health care, or a list of other topics. She chose to go off on a rant about proportional representation. Huge mistake. Why?

a ) Right now, with the economic crisis going on, electoral reform takes a far back seat to the vast majority of Canadians. They'll still even hold environment, health care, and tons of other issues in higher importance.

b ) She was looking to grow her base. This was a measure that appealed only to her already committed base. Sure, she might have swayed a few NDP votes with it, but for every NDP vote she gained, she lost at least two perhaps interested Liberal/Conservative votes.

c ) By picking electoral reform over the economy, reading between the lines, the conclusion can be drawn that she's more concerned about gaining political power rather than actually governing for the good of all Canadians, regardless of their political stripe. The Greens were supposed to be something different, now they're just the same old, same old.

And of course, the media gives her a free pass on it again, the only one with the guts to give her some criticism for it is CPAC.

Edited by unspoken

I think she's absolutely right. The other things you mention have to be dealt with, but proportional representation won't come up among politicians unless someone brings it up.

We definitely need electoral reform. They are just to cozy with their targetted ridings, polling, etc. Time to shake them up!

I agree with Tango. The other issues need to be dealt with and that's understood, but none of the other politicians are going to talk about electoral reform -- Jack Layton exempted because he can make all the promises in the world, he won't have to deliver. It is long overdue that we look at ways of making our government more representative of Canadians. Perhaps a form of proportional representation like MMP could be used to elect the Senate ensuring that at the very least the Upper House, which will be more representative of Canadians, has a chance to go through bills passed by the unrepresentative HoC.

Yes but he hasnt had a job. The NCC doesnt count....does it?

Dion has a BA and a MA. Apparently he hasnt worked either.

Well, at least someone said that recently.

You should try and confine your inane comments to the specific threads dealing with the topics you are confused by. People will still snicker at your posts but at least they'll be able to understand - sometimes - what you are trying to reference.