Should the Canadian war museum be killed?

Canadian war Museum   

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Canadian War Museum is owned by the federal government, opened in 2005, which is supposed to outline Canada's military history from Confederation, to the South African (Boer War) War and WW1, to World War II, and then the cold war and the present day situation, along with many of the tanks/trucks/war vechicles used by the Canadian military.

I think that such is museum is a promotion of Canada's militarist past, and that it needs to be disbanded. We are a peaceful nation that is supposed to be against any notion of military strength, we're supposed to keep the peace. I certainly don't want my government to spend my tax money on it, and rather use the millions of dollars in maintenance for the poor instead.

Edited by 1967100

The Canadian War Museum is owned by the federal government, opened in 2005, which is supposed to outline Canada's military history from Confederation, to the South African (Boer War) War and WW1, to World War II, and then the cold war and the present day situation, along with many of the tanks/trucks/war vechicles used by the Canadian military.

I think that such is museum is a promotion of Canada's militarist past, and that it needs to be disbanded. We are a peaceful nation that is supposed to be against any notion of military strength, we're supposed to keep the peace. I certainly don't want my government to spend my tax money on it, and rather use the millions of dollars in maintenance for the poor instead.

Canada's military history from Confederation, to the South African (Boer War) War and WW1, to World War II, and then the cold war and the present day situation indicates we are not a peaceful nation that is supposed to be against any notion of military strength.

Besides that, I think history and museums are great things. We can use millions of dollars in maintenance for the poor and keep museums too.

We are a filthy rich nation after all.

I'm afraid you are NOT speaking for the majority of Canadians! Canada has never been a totally pacifistic country. We have never been an imperialist or aggressor nation but that's not the same thing. We have always been prepared to use military force if necessary for those values we believe in, such as with two World Wars and a number of UN engagements and such since.

To try to change history and our ability to defend that which we hold dear is a foolish idea, if not a suicidal one. The world still has some dangers in it. Pacifism doesn't work if only one side holds to it.

Besides, to close the museum would be a mindboggling example of disrespect to those Canadians who gave their lives so that we could even discuss such an idea.

Though we may be a peaceful country, we are also a country that has waged war in the past. We will continue to do so in the future. Its all a part of what we do help keep the world as safe as possible.

The past should never be forgotten whether or not you disagree with it.

I think it's a great museum, but I would like to see less focus on hardware and more on campaigns, losses, heroism, etc.. Canadians need to know more about exactly what our military has done. Look at our contributions in the North Atlantic in WWII. The Yanks were sitting at home waiting for an engraved bloody invitation while their industrialists were making a killing supplying for the Brits and our boys were getting massacred taking their crap across the Atlantic. Canadian Troops liberated Holland! Read about that! One of the big films this year at the Tranna Film Festival is Paul Gross' 'Paschendale'.

Canadians need to know what our military has done so we won't get sucked in by guys like Harper who wanted to invade Iraq.

Edited by HisSelf

Canadians need to know more about exactly what our military has done.

Canadian Troops liberated Holland! Read about that!

Liberation of Holland, WWII, begun by American troops, who entered Maastricht on 13 September 1944; British troops also played a major part in liberating southern Holland, along their axis of advance toward Berlin. The failure of an airborne assault on Arnhem (September 17) prevented the liberation of the rest of Holland in 1944. FIRST CANADIAN ARMY, under General H.D.G. CRERAR, on the north end of the Allied line, was to clear the Dutch approaches to the key Belgian port of Antwerp, along both banks of the Schelde estuary, a task completed in November. There were still more Allied than Canadian troops under Crerar, but in mid-March 1945 I Canadian Corps arrived from Italy to replace I British Corps. I Corps pushed north to the IJsselmeer (Apr 18), isolating German forces in west Netherlands, while II Corps drove northeast to Groningen (April 13) and Leeuwarden (April 15), and then east into Germany.

When hostilities ceased 5 May 1945, it fell to the Canadians to liberate western Holland, including Rotterdam; the national centre of government, The Hague; and the national capital, Amsterdam. The Dutch there had suffered through an extremely harsh winter, short of food and fuel, but relief supplies were quickly funnelled into the area. The Canadians were welcomed enthusiastically and the joyous "Canadian summer" that ensued forged deep and long-lasting bonds of friendship between the Dutch and Canadian peoples.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/ind...s=A1ARTA0004672

Myth is a wonderful thing. Not as wonderful as accuracy and fact, but wondeful none the less.

Edited by M.Dancer

We are a peaceful nation that is supposed to be against any notion of military strength, we're supposed to keep the peace.
Even if we were a peaceful nation (our history says otherwise, but I'll let you look into it), we sure as hell aren't keeping the peace with hockey sticks and donuts.

And while we're at it, let's tally up and put to the torch any books or material that chronicles those aspects of Canada's past that do not meet our contemporary political ideals. War is bad and the best way to remember that is to expunge all traces of our military history. As the old saying goes: those who ignore the lessons of history are...something something something, I forget.

Get lost. Whether you like it or not, Canada was involved in several wars and that needs to be remembered and the lessons learned passed on to succeeding generations. To do what you suggest would not only negate the sacrifice these people made, but would also constitute an attempt to revise Canadian history.

Thing is, we don't have a militaristic past. Japan does..so does Prussia. We have a past that includes military participation....but that is all.

And that's why a museum is needed. To help dispell this kind of ignorance.

Prussia doesn't exist, though. So really what you mean is that Prussia had a militaristic past. Whatever the case, Prussian militarism is now completely misunderstood.

Edited by Ontario Loyalist

Perhaps we should also dig up all those graves at military cemetaries around the world, so that we can all forget about those men and women who died overseas fighting the Nazis so you didn't have to.

I have to go right ahead and say this, if you had said this to me in person, I more than likely would have spat in your face. Then I would have proceeded to tell you how you're a disgrace to every single Canadian soldier who has ever worn the uniform.

Edited by Canadian Blue

I have to go right ahead and say this, if you had said this to me in person, I more than likely would have spat in your face. Then I would have proceeded to tell you how you're a disgrace to every single Canadian soldier who has ever worn the uniform.

You're too kind.

I wouldn't spit in his face. I wouldn't try to "explain" anything to this ignorant product of our society. Obviously this person is too far gone to salvage.

Have you heard of the term "bootfucked"?

This is the first new thread I've seen posted here that has actually made me angry.

Shame on you 19617 or whatever the f*ck your name is.

Edited by AngusThermopyle

I think its remarks like yours that is really sad.Yes lets screw the vets who made it possible for us to be here today and give us this great country.The vets need to be honoured and the museum does do that.For the vets still alive this for them is very special.For the ones that are not alive this means alot to there familys.Aslo add this is part of canadas history and because you do not agree with the war does not mean we should just say ya lets pick and chose what parts of out history we want to hounor.I bet your one of those who wants remembrance day acanned as well.

Even if we were a peaceful nation (our history says otherwise, but I'll let you look into it), we sure as hell aren't keeping the peace with hockey sticks and donuts.

Given the resources available to our soldiers after decades of federal neglect, perhaps you could make the case that we ARE "...keeping the peace with hockey sticks and donuts."

I think that such is museum is a promotion of Canada's militarist past, and that it needs to be disbanded. We are a peaceful nation that is supposed to be against any notion of military strength, we're supposed to keep the peace.

Some wars, unfortunately, are necessary (: ie: WWII). To forget the sacrifices that generation and others have made in order to protect your right to freely post a poll like this on a message board is a cultural crime. Despite your honest intentions, your head is cleary shoved far up your posterior on this issue.

Canadians are being taught less & less about our history, we need to learn from our past in order to make the best decisions in the present & future.

We are a peaceful nation that is supposed to be against any notion of military strength, we're supposed to keep the peace.

This statement is entirely false. Pick up a history book (or visit the war museum! :lol:). BTW, if you actually visited the war museum you'd know that there is an entire section dedicated to the history of Canada's involvement as U.N. peacekeepers.

Canada wouldn't be much of a "peaceful nation" if the U.S. suddenly sank into the ocean.