Your Favorite Aircraft

The DH Otter...the larger cousin.

THAT is the plane I was most impressed by as a kid..when one of those babies backed up to my dock and took off into the wind...it was sheer raw power..loud as a screaming elephant..I was facinated by the fact that it could carry quite a few passengers...also it did not need much room to land...Good morning Dog..excuse me for being a provocative nut yesterday- it was not useful.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another workhorse of the Pacific as well as every other theater during WW2...

The first models, P-38Ds Es and Fs, were quite the dogs mainly due to their Hamilton Standard propellers which were unsuited for the counter-rotating role as it was found. Not to mention they didn't have effective dive brakes to prevent compression which resulted in many crashes after entering dives. By the time the P-38G model rolled-out, though...all had been fixed. Except for the no open windows during flight bit...so it was VERY hot inside when used in the Pacific. Pilots would often have tiny holes drilled into the forward part of the cockpit to allow some air to enter. Any large opening in the cockpit (including vents) would set up a flutter in the tailplane which would have been very dangerous at 400+ mph.

One of the best aircraft of WW2...made famous by VMF-214 (Black Sheep) squadron and such. A nasty bounce on landing made the early versions of this amazing aircraft unsuitable for carrier operations, so land-based USMC squadrons were the first to use them in large numbers.

The Bell P-39 Airacobra. Almost useless in the Pacific vs Japanese fighters, it found a new role as a ground attack machine once replaced by later models of the P-38 Lightning.

Note the engine is behind the cockpit in order to provide room for the huge 37mm cannon carried in the nose. Due to the huge ballistic drop of the cannon shell once out of the barrel, the 37mm was almost totally ineffective vs aircraft leaving the much lighter MGs as the prime weapon aboard.

One of the best aircraft of WW2...made famous by VMF-214 (Black Sheep) squadron and such. A nasty bounce on landing made the early versions of this amazing aircraft unsuitable for carrier operations, so land-based USMC squadrons were the first to use them in large numbers.

It was the Brits who first used them on carriers. They had to as it was the only suitable aircraft they could get. A big problem was a lack of visibility on approach because of the long nose and wing. They solved it by using a turning approach just leveling the wings prior to touchdown.

It was the Brits who first used them on carriers. They had to as it was the only suitable aircraft they could get. A big problem was a lack of visibility on approach because of the long nose and wing. They solved it by using a turning approach just leveling the wings prior to touchdown.

Yes...I used to play Forgotten Battles and that was my chief dislike for the F4U...kept running into unseen objects while taxiing...even with my head above the open canopy doing the side-to-side.

DOP: Crap...not again!

Edited by DogOnPorch

Wish I had a picture of it but yesterday I was at a vinyl repair guys place who is refinishing some door panels for an old car I am restoring. He competes for Canada in radio controlled sailplane competitions. He was showing me the machine he is taking to the Worlds in France this summer. Ten foot wing span, all carbon fiber, minimum paint, all the controls are hinged with Kevlar and all the gaps are webbed so there is no airflow between the control surfaces and wing. Parasite drag must be about as close to zero as you can get. The airframe weights four pounds and the wing is stressed to over 250 pounds. Asked him how much and he said over two grand US for the airframe alone plus all the RC servos and batteries etc. I actually thought that was quite reasonable considering the level of workmanship and materials used.

A few years back he did another part for me and he let me try and fly one of his smaller machines. My first try at RC and it was quite different trying to fly something you aren't sitting in. Definitely harder than it looked

sr71a.jpg

The Blackbird has always been very cool. Had a big G.I. Joe plane that looked like one as a kid. Black and everything. Badass!!

This is a helicopter, but i also love the AH64-D Apache Longbow. Its too bad the Taliban don't use tanks because i'm sure the Longbow would be wildly effective among the mountains/hills in Aghanistan:

LongbowApache.jpg

• 4 months later...

here is one it's a model kit, just a quick find, there are other sites but most get the P-51 and P-52 mixed up.

Notice how the cockpit is set way back....a quick search did not find any others. I'll keep looking...

p-52

please find an actual picture of this mythical P52, I've an extensive library on aircraft there is no P52, nor can you find one on the web other than a model that looks more like a P51 converted to racing form...

From what I remember, I think twin jet aircraft are supposed to be able to fly with just one engine (if one engine fails). That is, each engine is about twice as powerful as it "needs" to be if you assumed that both engines would always be functioning. For 4 jet aircraft, you still design assuming the failure of just one engine. That means that instead of each engine being twice as powerful as it needs to be, they are only like 33% more powerful. So with just 2 engines left a 4 jet plane wouldn't be able to stay in the air for very long either (though I guess it would have more options left, but it wouldn't be able to fly thousands of kilometers across ocean)

At least that was the basic theory we went over back in a class a few years ago. Don't know how much it applies now or in practice.

Yeah, they probably are. Air Canada only flies Bombardier, Embraer, and Airbus within Canada for the most part, so I haven't actually been on one of their Boeing 767 or 777 since they only use those on some heavy domestic routes (I don't think they ever use the 777 for that actually). I'm interested for when their 787s start to arrive. They're supposed to replace their A330s and B767s, and since I'll be taking some international flights in the next few years, I'd like to see how they are.

772 runs YYZ-YVR-SYD. It's routine to see the 763's running YUL-YVR & YVR-YYZ. For the most part, it's the bus though. The E-Jet's take the bulk of the TransBorder flying.