Sounds like Phun

Yes, it was your mistake.

How astute of you to figure that out right after I just said that very thing, impressive!

As for the whole Danish thing, I simply didn't question the claim, but as Dancer pointed out, after doing a little research I can't find anything at all to back it up. Possibly an urban legend?

Now we see the Iranians acting in just as childish a manner, not really good company to keep I'm thinking.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

Yes, of course the calling for a boycott of Danish pastries is nothing more than an urban legend. Or better yet, CNN just made it up.

Talk about denial. :rolleyes:

After googling whether there is any truth to the tale that canadians wanted to boycott danish pastries I came out with nothing conclusive...although The Iranians want to rename the danish...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4724656.stm

Could I have a double double and a toasted Roses of the Prophet Muhammad?

You can name a pastery after Muhammed but you can't name a teddy bear? Interesting...

--------------------------------------

Edith! Stifle yourself, there!

---All in the Family

Hahaha, we wanted to boycott Danish pastry? News to me. My favourites are just up the street from work: boysenberry, raspberry or blueberry. Take your pick, they are all delish.

Maybe I'll have one for dessert right after I have a plate of "freedom fries" (with cheese curd and gravy, of course).

Talk about denial. rolleyes.gif

How hard is it for you to deliberately be so dense? Did I not just say that I searched for some info on the Danish pastry thing and came up with nothing, therefore it could be an urban legend. Or are you just comprehension challenged today?

Here's a deal for you, since I came up with nothing on this how bout you give it a shot and enlighten us with your findings? I freely admit that I could find nothing on it.

Guest American Woman

It was an internet Google ads war between Denmark and Canada. Imagine what it would be like (will be like?) when/if things really come to a head regarding Hans Island/the Northwest Passage.

It happened in 2005, so the original article is no longer on the net, but there are references to it on blogs:

CANADA, DENMARK DUKE OUT SOVEREIGNTY ISSUE VIA WEB

Individuals or government agencies from the two countries are using Google ads for various claims to a tiny Arctic island.

TORONTO (AP)--Canada and Denmark have taken their diplomatic tussle over a scrappy lump of Arctic rocks to the Internet, with competing Google ads claiming sovereignty over Hans Island.

The flap has provoked some Canadians to call for a boycott of Danish pastry, in the same vain as Americans pooh-poohing french fries when Paris declined to join the coalition forces in Iraq.

World's next hot spot flares up -- fueled by Google ads

Today on the AP Wire: "Canada, Denmark Clash in Google Ads."

"Canada and Denmark have taken their diplomatic tussle over a lump of Arctic rocks to the Internet with competing Google ads claiming sovereignty over Hans Island. Some Canadians have called for a boycott of Danish pastries the way Americans disdained french fries when Paris declined to join the coalition forces in Iraq."

Political Protest Through Breakfast Choices

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman
....isn't that far more productive than just attributing something to someone you know nothing about?

Huh? What did I attribute to someone I know nothing about? :huh:

Huh? What did I attribute to someone I know nothing about? huh.gif

Me, you know nothing about me yet when I said I couldn't find anything about it you made a remark about denial. I would have thought you would know that I admit when I'm wrong. If I were a person who would not admit when I'm wrong then that could be seen as denial.

Guest American Woman
Me, you know nothing about me yet when I said I couldn't find anything about it you made a remark about denial. I would have thought you would know that I admit when I'm wrong. If I were a person who would not admit when I'm wrong then that could be seen as denial.

I hadn't seen your post about not being able to find anything about it when I made my post about denial-- which was actually in response to M.Dancer.

But if you couldn't find anything about it, why did you say this earlier?

Thats not a really good comparison actually. Here in Canada it was a few strident nut jobs calling for a boycot. In America it was the actual leader of the country throwing a hissy fit and demonstrating his childishness.

Sounds as if you knew something about it-- at least enough to claim it was "a few strident nut jobs calling for the boycott." So why were you later questioning if it were an urban legend?

Furthermore, you were not only wrong when you said it was Bush calling for the french fry name change, which you did admit to, you were also wrong when you said:

It was Congress that voted to change the names of not only French Fries but also French Toast. I guess its better when an entire group shows what a bunch of idiots they are. I think my confusion came from the TV interview with Bush where he stated that the name would now be Freedom Fries. So it wasn't just George, Congress got in on the pouting and foot stomping too. If I had been an American I believe I would have been exceedingly embarrassed by the whole farce.

Congress didn't vote to change the names; there was no congressional vote on the matter.

And while you glossed over the Danish pastry thing, you still went on and on about the freedom fries et al:

Now if you'll excuse me I have to run down to A&W so I can get some Freedom Fries, then I have to pick up a loaf of Freedom Bread to have with my supper, might also have a nice bottle of Freedom Wine with it as well.

And of course changing the name of Berlin to Kitchner was understandable, so I guess the 'war mindset' is ok when it's your country.

But you do admit when you are mistaken and you do support others when they are wrongly accused, so I do know that and give you credit for it, and therefore will repeat that my "denial" post was not directed at you even though it followed a post by you.

I hadn't seen your post about not being able to find anything about it when I made my post about denial-- which was actually in response to M.Dancer.

Same difference. You know squat about me either. On the otherhand, we know you are desparate to find others as boorish as the freedom fires loving yanks..so you cling to some colour, an embellishment supplied by the American infotainment industry.

Some...some indeed......some american are gullible, but most are just suckers....

Guest American Woman
Same difference. You know squat about me either. On the otherhand, we know you are desparate to find others as boorish as the freedom fires loving yanks..so you cling to some colour, an embellishment supplied by the American infotainment industry.

Some...some indeed......some american are gullible, but most are just suckers....

So I know squat about you, but you know all about me. Got'cha. ;)

As for the "embellishment by the American infotainment industry," I didn't realize Toronto was part of the American media. <_< In the meantime, keep criticizing us and downplaying whatever Canadians do; and keep telling yourself that you're not in denial as you're doing it. And by all means, cling to the notion that Canadians are all polite, level-headed, and loved by all while Americans are "boorish freedom fires [sic] loving ... suckers." Whatever gets you through the night.

I will say this. I'm amazed by the reaction my bringing up the call for a Danish pastry boycott has generated. Truly amazed. I honestly thought people would be able to see the stupidity of this as easily as they see the stupidity of freedom fries. Guess I was expecting too much.

Edited by American Woman

So I know squat about you, but you know all about me. Got'cha. ;)

As for the "embellishment by the American infotainment industry," I didn't realize Toronto was part of the American media.

I'm sorry, I made the mistake of thinking you might have some inkling of knowing what you are talking about...so maybe I don't know all about you....

TORONTO (AP)--Canada and Denmark

Toronto is the dateline.

TORONTO (AP)--Canada and Denmark

AP or American Press is the newswire.

So in other words....

I didn't realize Toronto was part of the American media.

Gullibility is only half the problem.

I will say this. I'm amazed by the reaction my bringing up the call for a Danish pastry boycott has generated. Truly amazed. I honestly thought people would be able to see the stupidity of this as easily as they see the stupidity of freedom fries. Guess I was expecting too much.

My reation is consistant with all dubious statements with an iffy provenance. I'm just surprised that you would cling so tenaciously to it. But buffoonery loves company so longing to have danish boycotting canadians beside you is understandable even if the some might have been only one that the American Press stringer happened meet in a bar, in toronto.....

AP stringer to guy in bar.. "Hey want a danish?"

Guy in bar "Ummm...doesn't go with beer"

Ap Stringer... "Boycotting danishes because of that island?"

Guy in Bar Yeah, whatever, are you in line?

next day....

The flap has provoked some Canadians to call for a boycott of Danish pastry, in the same vain as Americans pooh-poohing french fries .....so we aren't so whacky or so stupid if the Canucks are doing it eh?
Edited by M.Dancer

Guest American Woman
I'm sorry, I made the mistake of thinking you might have some inkling of knowing what you are talking about...so maybe I don't know all about you....

Toronto is the dateline.

AP or American Press is the newswire.

AP stands for "Associated Press," not American Press.

Now I'm done wasting my time here.