• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how long do you think it will be before another 9/11-style terrorist attack against the United States? It's not like they've stopped the Al-Qaeda or won the war in Iraq or Afghanistan. WHat do you think the response will be if and when it happens again? :ph34r:

Make up your mind...."if" is not consistent with the first part of your post. It's like asking when it will happen in Canada and what will be the response, since clearly Canada has not erradicated Al Qaeda. Hell, it has its hands full with just Hell's Angels bikers. :lol:

So how long do you think it will be before another 9/11-style terrorist attack against the United States?

It will be later. Possibly this century or sooner.

Sooner or later, but not before that.

So how long do you think it will be before another 9/11-style terrorist attack against the United States? It's not like they've stopped the Al-Qaeda or won the war in Iraq or Afghanistan. WHat do you think the response will be if and when it happens again? :ph34r:

Don't sound so longing. Plenty of folks are still getting good use out of the old 9/11. I doubt they'll need a new one for a while yet.

No indeed, there is not.

Once the old 9/11 is too old, what form will Rudy 9iu11ani's aphasia take? Without a new 9/11, will he lose the ability to speak altogether?

And once the everything that was changed by 9/11 needs to be changed in turn, how will that be done? Without a new 9/11, what will change everything?

What will kill irony again, now that it seems to have come back to life?

What if the USA encounters some imminently potential possible eventual conceivable threat, the preemptive attack of which cannot be justified by endless appeal to the old 9/11?

So, sure. Someday some folks will need a new 9/11. But for the time being, the old 9/11 is delivering perfectly satisfactory results.

So, sure. Someday some folks will need a new 9/11. But for the time being, the old 9/11 is delivering perfectly satisfactory results.
Don't be so narcissistic, Kitchener. This isn't about us. You make 9/11 sound like a domestic issue. It's not. There's a real world out there inhabited by real people. It's not a Hollywood movie.

----

Last summer, there were terror attacks in Glasgow and a well-developed plan in Frankfurt stopped before its execution.

In my pessimistic moments, I reckon that we may have to do as Israel and adopt some very severe measures.

In my optimistic moments I recall what I heard a US oldtimer say within days of 9/11, and in so many words - 'we should just come home and stay here. We don't need the world'.
The problem there eyeball is that the world is too small a place now and has been at least since December 1941. The US can't come home. The American ideal of liberty is too omnipresent. Too many Americans (and Canadians, Europeans, Australians) travel about the world and act as they would at home.
They've had almost seven years, what's keeping them?
About 17 were arrested in Toronto in June 2007 with an amateur, half-baked schemes.

If Mohhamed Atta had parked his car illegally outside a strip joint, perhaps his scheme would have been considered outlandish too.

BTW, the Madrid bombing was in March 2004 and the London bombings were in july 2005. That's three years, not seven.

Edited by August1991

...I do not think that another attack on the same scale as 9/11 would be as serious a shakeup as it was before.

Of course, while academics will be able to see through it this time, it would be dangerous to underestimate the shallowness of how people as a whole will see it, and what they will demand in response. I mean, in reality, 9/11 scale attacks do not pose any kind of existential threat. If they did, it would not be called " terrorism " , it would be called " war " .

Make up your mind...."if" is not consistent with the first part of your post. It's like asking when it will happen in Canada and what will be the response, since clearly Canada has not erradicated Al Qaeda. Hell, it has its hands full with just Hell's Angels bikers. :lol:

Thank you for the lesson in english composition. Let me reciprocate with a spelling tip for you: "eradicate" does not have to Rs, "error" does, as in "America made an error in electing George W. Bush".

My substandard sentence construction aside, if you don't understand what I am saying, just read slower. :P

Edited by the janitor

Thank you for the lesson in english composition. Let me reciprocate with a spelling tip for you: "eradicate" does not have to Rs, "error" does, as in "America made an error in electing George W. Bush".

America can elect whomever it pleases, and there is nothing you can do about it.

My substandard sentence construction aside, if you don't understand what I am saying, just read slower. :P

OK....but I am always dumber after reading your posts.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

That would be clever if it wasn't so unoriginal and sophomoric

It's his conventional internet name now. The brilliantly clever bit was the allusion to aphasia and the prospect that he'd gradually become totally mute.

Ah, never mind. Undone by those sophomores and their continual references to aphasia.

Don't be so narcissistic, Kitchener. This isn't about us.

It's hard to see what point you could be making. Quite obviously it is "about" many people -- many of them Iraqis, plausibly, and many of them now dead. Yet among the people it's "about" are a cadre of rich and powerful Americans who have gotten much richer and much more powerful because of 9/11 and its aftermath.

If anything is clearly dismissible as Hollywood movie fantasizing, it's the thought that this is primarily about last-minute rescues and foiled plots.