Who will McCain choose as VP?

No.....not Jeb Bush..but Charlie Crist (to deliver Florida). He is interviewing potential Veeps and we know who they are:

Tim Pawlenty (MN Gov)

Tom Ridge (former PA Gov)

Sarah Palin (AK Gov)

Condi Rice (Sec'y of State)

Bobby Jindal (LA Gov)

Mike Huckabee (former AR Gov and candidate)

The DNCC (convention) is first, so the Republicans have a slight advantage. If the Obama-Clinton terror campaign materializes, McCain will have to play the diversity card. Condi says she is not interested, but we shall see. Even Joe Lieberman is in the mix.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Crist or Pawlenty would be my first guesses too.

I think McCain is going to go by the book. After all, his choice will be VP.

If the Obama-Clinton terror campaign materializes, McCain will have to play the diversity card.
Terror campaign? If the Dems do that, it's like putting too much sugar in your coffee.

Anyway, at this point, I think that there's no way that either will play second fiddle to the other. And if it does, the Dems will be on amphetamines.

Edited by August1991

I think choosing anyone black at this point would only serve to energize the black vote against him, not that the black voting block needs any energizing right now. They've abandoned the wife of the first black president (I always thought that was a good one, Bubba a black president) and rallied around Obama as their saviour. Rice or Powell would immediately be branded an Uncle Tom, and McCain would be vilified for having the nerve to pick someone based on their skin colour(Can you feel the irony? That's what a good percentage of the Dems are doing right now with Obama).

Romney.

Romney graciously bowed out and is the heir apparent to the Republican nomination in 2012 if McCain loses. He doesn't really have any negatives other than being a Mormon. Going through the leadership race exposes any warts, etc. and he's relatively clean, articulate and respected.

Huckabee adds little to the ticket. McCain doesn't need to shore up 'the Right' or the born again whackos. They will be motivated to vote 'against' Obama or Clinton.

Condi Rice like Powell before her has proved to be a dud as Secretary of State. Neither one is results oriented but too much smile and no meat on the bones. Also, She's Bush's lap dog.

Tom Ridge? An 'OK' choice but no ball of fire. A McCain/Ridge combination might be a good combo in the White house but has zero pizzaz in the campaign.

....Tom Ridge? An 'OK' choice but no ball of fire. A McCain/Ridge combination might be a good combo in the White house but has zero pizzaz in the campaign.

I don't think McCain needs or wants any "pizzaz"....the lack thereof is a quality that will serve him best. He is not and never will be a "rock star" or crave such attention. All he needs to do is demonstrate making a good choice that helps the ticket , without the three ring circus that will happen at the DNCC.

• 3 weeks later...
He's old, military and from Arizona. Will he pick someone young from the East? Or the South?

Will he go Dem "politically correct/identity politics" and choose Condi Rice (never elected to anything)?

Will he pick an opponent? Huckabee? Romney?

Jeb Bush?

I think it would depend on who wins for the Democrats, and how. If Obama wins, Condi Rice might be useless. On the other hand, if Clinton wins because of the Super Delegates- Rice may be of help.

It depends on the reaction of the conservatives as well. If the democratic candidate enrages conservatives base then he could afford a more mainstream running mate. On the other hand, if the base does not care anymore, he may need a conservative running mate.

McCain is an outside the box sort of guy, I kinda think/hope it will be a suprise.

I sure hope it ain't Huckabee

I think it would depend on who wins for the Democrats, and how. If Obama wins, Condi Rice might be useless. On the other hand, if Clinton wins because of the Super Delegates- Rice may be of help.

It depends on the reaction of the conservatives as well. If the democratic candidate enrages conservatives base then he could afford a more mainstream running mate. On the other hand, if the base does not care anymore, he may need a conservative running mate.

McCain is an outside the box sort of guy, I kinda think/hope it will be a suprise.

I sure hope it ain't Huckabee

Good point about Rice 'if' Hillary was the nominee, but she won't be. Obama has the Black vote locked up. I still say Romney. But it might even be a conservative who has come out against continuing the war in Iraq.(your outside the box) That way McCain can blunt some of his quotes as per '100 years', etc. and show he means to get serious in Iraq and resolve the issue. Regardless, he can't win unless he wins over Regan Democrats...he has to claim the middle ground and throw a bone to the 67% of Americans who want the troops out.

This time next year Obama will likely be President and the permanent withdrawal from Iraq will have begun.

Edited by oreodontist

No.....not Jeb Bush..but Charlie Crist (to deliver Florida). He is interviewing potential Veeps and we know who they are:

Tim Pawlenty (MN Gov)

Crist is an interesting guy. Son of a Greek-Cypriot immigrant, 50 years old.
Democratic Representative Terry Fields of Jacksonville, Florida referred to Crist as the state's "first black governor", saying, "Charlie Crist has been a friend to the African-American community even before he became governor".

He is the first Republican governor to accept the state's NAACP invitation to a convention and endorsed legislation requiring paper records of all ballots cast during an election, stemming from criticisms in black communities that believed they were being undercounted by computerized voting machines.

Wikipedia

In a tight race, Florida would be critical.

----

Pawlenty, late 40s, lawyer.

On January 7, 2008, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune speculated that Pawlenty's promotion of a staunch immigration reform plan was aimed at countering McCain's plan for guest worker visas. National pundits have long felt that McCain's stance on immigration reform would be a weakness in winning over conservative voters, and the Star-Tribune noted that by staking out a immigration plan opposite of McCain, Pawlenty was setting himself up for balancing McCain's ticket should he be chosen as the vice presidential running mate
Wikipedia

For McCain, they both fit he bill.

Since the Bush's are backing him...please don't let it be Jeb! MaCain has a heat attack a year in and we are back with President Bush!!! Of course if Obama is president and he did pick Hilary as VP, I'd wear body armour!!

What difference does it make....they wouldn't be President of Canada. Wear whatever you like.

And the people are so full of hope for their "candidate".

:lol:

same old same old.

No matter who wins (Dems, Repubs, Hillary, Obama...) nothing will change. America's course to self destruction was set in the Reagan days and the march to third world status will continue... jobs, healthcare, foreclosures... no one (not even Jaysus hisself) can save America now.

BC 2004 --> Canada doesn't have Presidents... we have Prime Ministers. You know, like Britain.

No matter who wins (Dems, Repubs, Hillary, Obama...) nothing will change. America's course to self destruction was set in the Reagan days and the march to third world status will continue... jobs, healthcare, foreclosures... no one (not even Jaysus hisself) can save America now.

Save America from what? It's all good....more Canadians still heading south....my new neighbor just moved in to the Promised Land...straight from Canada.

BC 2004 --> Canada doesn't have Presidents... we have Prime Ministers. You know, like Britain.

That could be why I refer to PM Chretien or PM Martin or PM Harper...eh? President McCain will still not be Canada's president.

Save America from what? It's all good....more Canadians still heading south....my new neighbor just moved in to the Promised Land...straight from Canada.

Chalk that up to "there are idiots everywhere". :lol:

That could be why I refer to PM Chretien or PM Martin or PM Harper...eh? President McCain will still not be Canada's president.

Get over it BC 2004. This is a Canadian board (hence the name -- maple leaf web (not stars and stripes web).. do you think people should stay away from topics with "America" in them? You a lefty-protectionist or what? :lol:

BC2004 says "only Americans are allowed to comment on the presidential race 'cause it's not Canada's president."

Like a little kid -- "that's my mommy and you are not allowed to talk to or about her!!" :lol:

Chalk that up to "there are idiots everywhere". :lol:

Including here it would seem! :lol:

Get over it BC 2004. This is a Canadian board (hence the name -- maple leaf web (not stars and stripes web).. do you think people should stay away from topics with "America" in them? You a lefty-protectionist or what? :lol:

BC2004 says "only Americans are allowed to comment on the presidential race 'cause it's not Canada's president."

Like a little kid -- "that's my mommy and you are not allowed to talk to or about her!!" :lol:

Go have another smoke....only Americans will decide who is president. Your whining won't make any difference.....never has.

It's great there being an American election this year. The races for party nominee and the Presidential race are a heck more interesting than the Stanley (yawn) Cup playoffs.

As for no choice? there has rarely been such a choice of two different nominees as Obama and McCain. Also, a long time since such a huge difference on the handling of a war (not since McGovern and Nixon).

This is exciting stuff. If someone doesn't find it interesting, then there's a thousand other things on TV and billion internet websites.