Bush and Afghanistan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This can't be dealt with, I doubt if nukes would even work. Whatever else the Taliban are they're surely amongst the toughest humans on the planet. They remind me of the Fremen from the desert planet Arrakis in the novel Dune. The only people I can imagine that might have a chance against the Taliban are the Vietnamese. That said, if these two ever did meet on a battlefield they'd likely greet each other the way the Irish and Scottish did in Braveheart.

The west doesn't have a chance.

Now this is really interesting.

Your conclusions are all based upon pure supposition, science fiction novels, and movies, that must give you quite a unique view of the world. If the Taliban are as tough as you claim then why have Canadian forces that are numerically inferior kicked their asses every time they've engaged? Not just beaten them, but booted them squarely and hard, to the tune of no Canadian fatalities and over a hundred Taliban fatalities. This pattern has repeated for almost every engagement so far. Or is your definition of tough seeing how many of them can die quickly?

Perhaps now you can back up what you say with another reference to Fantasy or Science Fiction. Perhaps something about the force being with you? That might sound nice.

BC

You admit that you were duped. Speak for yourself.

I can at least admit I was duped. I can now say I am a lot smarter and wiser for realizing I was being duped and lied to. There is a difference. And this is why my views are more relevant now than they were all those years ago. By this you now admit that there were blatant lies when it came to evidence against Iraq. But for some reason, you cannot admit you are wrong. I know you want to, you come close to saying it.

OH and where have I been? maybe it happened before I was born, maybe it happened when I was a young and innocent lad. The most important thing here is that I have learned from my mistakes. I doubt you can (or willingly) say the same thing.

BC

I can at least admit I was duped. I can now say I am a lot smarter and wiser for realizing I was being duped and lied to. There is a difference. And this is why my views are more relevant now than they were all those years ago. By this you now admit that there were blatant lies when it came to evidence against Iraq. But for some reason, you cannot admit you are wrong. I know you want to, you come close to saying it.

No matter....your position is still irrelevant..then and now. The pretext for war against Iraq was a formality and no more blatant a lie than the reasons advertised for bombing several other nations as well. I don't know how I can be wrong when I have specifically maintained the continuum of US and UK foreign policy for Iraq viv-a-vis WMD, oil, support for Israel, and counterbalance to Iran.

OH and where have I been? maybe it happened before I was born, maybe it happened when I was a young and innocent lad. The most important thing here is that I have learned from my mistakes. I doubt you can (or willingly) say the same thing.

Your mistakes are your own business....I know the history of my country and I do not hide behind the myths of peace-killing.

Its more on how many are willing to die.

In that one statement you clarify the fact that you do not understand what it is to be a soldier.

I believe it was Patton who said it best.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

So far we've been doing a pretty damn good job of making them die for their cause. Of course, we could probably do better.

Edited by AngusThermopyle

There are a lot of people in this world who just know they are better than others. That is why Russia, Great Britian and the US operate. If you are what is called a "proper citizen" then you are chozen of God and you have all the rights. Everyone else is just so much fodder for your ambitions. Just ask the people that these mighty countries have ridden over.

Ask the Native Peoples of Canada and the US, ask the Irish and Scottish peoples of Great Britian and ask in any country that now has broken free of the yoke of the USSR.

Now we are observing the same thing applied to Tibetans. The Jewish people up until the last few years were also on the bottom of this list.

Actually, you have been pretty good at making them die for your cause. If you had no cause, they would not be dying.

Har....not quite. They would be sent to a farm team to die for someone else's cause.

No really....The Taliban didn't mind using Bin Laden's suicide bombers when it suited them....and you could expect the favour would be returned...whether it's in Pakistan, Afghan or else where.

They don't need us for a reason to die.

Har....not quite. They would be sent to a farm team to die for someone else's cause.

No really....The Taliban didn't mind using Bin Laden's suicide bombers when it suited them....and you could expect the favour would be returned...whether it's in Pakistan, Afghan or else where.

They don't need us for a reason to die.

The CIA did not mind using the Muhajideen (OBL's old group) when it suited them either.

The CIA did not mind using the Muhajideen (OBL's old group) when it suited them either.

Yes but they weren't OBL's group back then nor were they OBL's group when they were trying to overthrow the Taliban.

The Taliban DID use Al Q to murder one of the Mujihadeen's star hero by posing as a journalist then blowing themselves up during the interview.

Ahmad Shah Massoud (Persian: احمد شاه مسعود) (September 2, 1953 – September 9, 2001) was a Tajik Kabul University engineering student turned military leader who played a leading role in driving the Soviet army out of Afghanistan, earning him the nickname "Lion of Panjshir". His supporters call him "Amer Sahib e Shaheed", translating to "Our Martyred Commander". Massoud was the most pro-Western of the anti-Soviet resistance leaders.[1]
Massoud was the target of a suicide attack which occurred at Khwaja Bahauddin on September 9, 2001. The attackers were two Arabs, Dahmane Abd al-Sattar and Bouraoui el-Ouaer, who claimed to be Belgians originally from Morocco. However, their passports turned out to be stolen and their nationality Tunisian. The assassins claimed to want to interview Massoud and set off a bomb in a belt worn by the cameraman while asking Massoud questions. The explosion also killed Mohammed Asim Suhail, a Northern Alliance official, while Mohammad Fahim Dashty and Massoud Khalili were injured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmad_Shah_Massoud#Death