Liberals Sit Out Most Votes of Any Party

How many MPs and what days, on what confidence matters?

Harper passed the first Liberal budget saying he was "pleased." That was a confidence motion. He passed the Throne Speech. That was a confidence motion.

They survived confidence vote after confidence vote in 2005 because the Tories had people absent from the House.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...ence050614.html

In one vote, these MPs were absent.

Four opposition MPs didn't make it to the chamber for the vote. Conservative MPs Dave Chatters and Darrel Stinson were absent, battling cancer and Gurmant Grewal is on stress leave.

Grewal was absent a lot of 2005. The Tory MPs with cancer made it into the House when it was a confidence vote that the Tories wanted to win but not on ones they didn't want to win.

Edited by jdobbin

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The federal politics are locked into a stalemate. Harpers crowd plain and simply cannot be trusted on anything that does not fit into their socially conservative agenda (see: environment; transparency; social justice; gun control; death penalty). While Liberals are locked into low 30% till they get a more electable leader. In this situation there's little point in going for an election, at least everybody understands that.

Harper passed the first Liberal budget saying he was "pleased." That was a confidence motion. He passed the Throne Speech. That was a confidence motion.

They survived confidence vote after confidence vote in 2005 because the Tories had people absent from the House.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...ence050614.html

In one vote, these MPs were absent.

Grewal was absent a lot of 2005. The Tory MPs with cancer made it into the House when it was a confidence vote that the Tories wanted to win but not on ones they didn't want to win.

Hardly the same as what the liberals are doing 3 MPs missing a few votes not the same as whole caucuses missing. The budget that you are referring to all but one or two did not show up to vote, but they actually showed up and voted in favour, they didn't walk out en mass.

The federal politics are locked into a stalemate. Harpers crowd plain and simply cannot be trusted on anything that does not fit into their socially conservative agenda (see: environment; transparency; social justice; gun control; death penalty). While Liberals are locked into low 30% till they get a more electable leader. In this situation there's little point in going for an election, at least everybody understands that.

Funny the west seems to trust them, infact most of Canada does, outside of the urban areas.

What my post was pointing out that the liberals are scared to stand against the government because they know they will not survive an election,

And there is the answer. Dont pick a fight you cannot win. How hard is that to understand?The Cons would do , and did, the same thing.

they are underminding there support by not voting, they won't even stand up for their principles. But it seens they are quite happy to sit on their hands, sell out their supporters and hope that the CPC will stumble so they can again sit in office and pork barrell.

Seems to be working. Have the Cons soared in popularity? I would be worried that the Libs hiding, not voting , running scared is doing nothing to improve the popularity of the Cons.

pork barrell? Like insurance policies?

Funny the west seems to trust them, infact most of Canada does, outside of the urban areas.

The same Crop poll also says that 55% of Quebecers are satisfied with the Conservative Government - when was the last time we heard that in Qubec!.....and of course Harper is far and away the number one choice as to who would make the best Prime Minister. More and more, it looks like the only people who don't trust Harper are die-hard Lefties and Tin Foil Hats.

they are underminding there support by not voting, they won't even stand up for their principles. But it seens they are quite happy to sit on their hands, sell out their supporters and hope that the CPC will stumble so they can again sit in office and pork barrell.

Seems to be working. Have the Cons soared in popularity? I would be worried that the Libs hiding, not voting , running scared is doing nothing to improve the popularity of the Cons.

pork barrell? Like insurance policies?

What insurance policy? I would have like to meet the sales from the company that would have offered it, as they would have had a screw loose and would have been fired for underwriting and approving such policy.

I don't hold much stock it the polls, but if you insist, just look at the polls on leadership, Mr. Harper is away out in front.

The same Crop poll also says that 55% of Quebecers are satisfied with the Conservative Government - when was the last time we heard that in Qubec!.....and of course Harper is far and away the number one choice as to who would make the best Prime Minister. More and more, it looks like the only people who don't trust Harper are die-hard Lefties and Tin Foil Hats.

You know why right, they're scared that there free ride on the taxpayers dime might stop and they will have to become responsible for themselves instead of relying on society.

What insurance policy? I would have like to meet the sales from the company that would have offered it, as they would have had a screw loose and would have been fired for underwriting and approving such policy.

Uhh...no, lots of ways for this to have happened , if true that is.

I don't hold much stock it the polls, but if you insist, just look at the polls on leadership, Mr. Harper is away out in front.

Just soaring....

Uhh...no, lots of ways for this to have happened , if true that is.

Just soaring....

This is years of expercience talking on both sides of insurance Property & Casualty and Life & Accident & sickness. You can't write policies were a prexisting condition will claim the life of the insured within weeks or months, this would be a huge underwriting loss for the company. This type of policy doesn't exist and will never exist. Those who think it did need to educate themselves about the industry.

Your right Prime Minister Harpers leadership approval is soaring.

QUOTE(Alta4ever @ Mar 31 2008, 03:21 PM)

I'm out west, there's one traffic light within a 100 miles of me and I trust the Conservatives about as far as I can spit, mind you I trust the Liberals about the same.

The only real difference I've ever seen between them is that Conservative policies seem to go out of their way to reflect at least a little of the vindictiveness and mean-spiritedness characteristic of so many right-wing voters. That said, the inability of Liberals to be more couragous in following up on what they say is just as mean as it is callous.

Both parties could stay home for all I care.

Edited by eyeball

The only real difference I've ever seen between them is that Conservative policies seem to go out of their way to reflect at least a little of the vindictiveness and mean-spiritedness characteristic of so many right-wing voters. That said, the inability of Liberals to be more couragous in following up on what they say is just as mean as it is callous.

Both parties could stay home for all I care.

There is very little mean spiritedness and vindictiveness, it just when someone is told what they don't want to hear they take it that way.

This is years of expercience talking on both sides of insurance Property & Casualty and Life & Accident & sickness. You can't write policies were a prexisting condition will claim the life of the insured within weeks or months, this would be a huge underwriting loss for the company.

Then you should know how and why it could happen.

This type of policy doesn't exist and will never exist. Those who think it did need to educate themselves about the industry.

There is a mirror around somewhere. Take a look into it.

By the way, I agree that this "policy does not exist". It is not on the sales chart. Never said it did, just that it easily could be had at the higher echelons .

You know the old saying,"give them enough rope and they hang themselves?" If we had gone to an election last year Canadian wouldn't know about the Cadman affair, the NAFTA affair, the treatment of prisoners affair, and all those other affairs or scandals that have come to lite. As the Libs say, they will have an election when they are ready and not any sooner. Just because Harper was foaming at the mouth to take out Martin, doesn't every party works the same way. Dion seem on today and I think Libs will judge from here on. BTW, the libs asked the finance minister if he truly wants to work with ALL the province he could come up and match Ontario's 17 Mil for the Ford transmission plane that will keep 300 families working. His reply, just run- down Bob Rae as Premier of Ontario. I don't think Ontario is going to support the Cons at election time.

Then you should know how and why it could happen.

There is a mirror around somewhere. Take a look into it.

By the way, I agree that this "policy does not exist". It is not on the sales chart. Never said it did, just that it easily could be had at the higher echelons .

Those higher echelons have to answer to the share holders, and how would you hide a million dollar loss on a bad policy.

Thank you I know my industry very well, I have worked on the broker side, I have worked on the company side, I have sold everything from homeowners policies to heavy manufacturing. I have done personal life, group life, disablity policies, critical illness and long term care. I know my industry inside and out. Let me lay this out for everyone you cannot back door this kind of policy as there are so many check and balances in the system that it would be caught.

Those higher echelons have to answer to the share holders, and how would you hide a million dollar loss on a bad policy.

Who said anything about a million dollar loss? Think outside the box man...outside the box.

Why is it a write off on a vehicle when there is only 70% damage?

Thank you I know my industry very well, I know my industry inside and out. Let me lay this out for everyone you cannot back door this kind of policy as there are so many check and balances in the system that it would be caught.

Caught? Catch what?

Who said anything about a million dollar loss? Think outside the box man...outside the box.

Why is it a write off on a vehicle when there is only 70% damage?

Caught? Catch what?

A vehicle is a write off when its costs the insurance company more to fix it then replace it.

This is insurance we are talking about its dull its boring there is no "outside the box".

Hardly the same as what the liberals are doing 3 MPs missing a few votes not the same as whole caucuses missing. The budget that you are referring to all but one or two did not show up to vote, but they actually showed up and voted in favour, they didn't walk out en mass.

It is exactly that. Harper knew that if he needed his MPs they would be there for a vote. They certainly were there when he did take decide to defeat the government. That's a lot of a confidence votes they tanked.

It is exactly that. Harper knew that if he needed his MPs they would be there for a vote. They certainly were there when he did take decide to defeat the government. That's a lot of a confidence votes they tanked.

If the vote was with the government I'm sure 3 that had grounds for medical leave wouldn't be missed. I 'm sure that the whole liberal; caucus doesn't all get sick at the same time. When the whole party left the chamber did they all have the flu?

Uh...No. Salvage is cheaper, but anyway, getting off topic.

Suffice to say, a policy could have been proferred with the right premiums being set.

You really have not a clue. The salvage is retained by the insurance company after the vehicle is written off. Then the insurance company sells the salvage to any buy. That is why you have to buy the write off back from the insuranc ecompnay if you want to keep the vehicle.

As for the so called life policy, there is no right premium as it would exceed the face amount of the policy.

You really have not a clue. The salvage is retained by the insurance company after the vehicle is written off. Then the insurance company sells the salvage to any buy. That is why you have to buy the write off back from the insuranc ecompnay if you want to keep the vehicle.

Uh...no.

I have a clue., although I am wondering about yours. But nevermind that. No you dont have to buy the car, you already own it. You can accept a reduced amount for repairs and certify it after repairs and voila...

As for the so called life policy, there is no right premium as it would exceed the face amount of the policy.

Bingo...you almost got it. The right premium is the face amount. Put that in the bank and the costs are covered.

And that is how a policy could have been done. See, the money trail then points to the insurance company, not the political party.

Think of it as laundering.....the politicos did.

Uh...no.

I have a clue., although I am wondering about yours. But nevermind that. No you dont have to buy the car, you already own it. You can accept a reduced amount for repairs and certify it after repairs and voila...

Bingo...you almost got it. The right premium is the face amount. Put that in the bank and the costs are covered.

And that is how a policy could have been done. See, the money trail then points to the insurance company, not the political party.

Think of it as laundering.....the politicos did.

That wouldn't be an insurance policy, and no self respecting company would do it, as it would reflect very poorly on the company. It would even effect their Standard & Poors rating.

BTW, if you have a single shred of proof that bribes or incentives were offered, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise what you have written is libelous.
I have proof that Stronach was offered and given a Cabinet post. Before you say "Emerson", his switch was not necessary to create or maintain Parliamentary confidence in the PM. Stronach's was. Thus, Martin's survival of the May 2005 confidence vote was cemented with a bribe. Remember, he deferred the vote for a few days while the bribe's terms were hammered out.