Mulroney's testimony in Parliament

jazzer

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it was on CBC radio this morning, in the words of Pat Martin, if I'm not mistaken, that Mulroney stated under oath few years back that he only had a "passing relationship" with Schreiber. Cannot comment on the authenticity of the original fact, but at least it's something that can be checked. And, if true, followed upon.

Yeah, so confusing right now, but I think Mulroney lawyers probably talked to the Cons lawyer because of some of the questions and how fast Mulroney could answer some quickly. How he had a very good memory with any that had to do with Schrieber but couldn't recall if he had talk to Bernier when he was Minister of Industry but DID remember talking to him when he became minister of foreign affairs!!! He kept saying his name was being run through the mud because of the air bus scandal. Doesn't he realize it was the GST and the Free Trade deal that led to this? One question I have is how did Schrieber find out Mulroney was going to see the PM?? Mulroney claims he hasn't taked to him since 2000. Was it in the papers, the news about the meeting that was going to happen??

Don't you think these two men could maybe fit the description of sociopaths that I listed on the conrad black post.

Schreiber, quite possibly.

Not so with Mulroney. He is a man who is quite loyal to his friends, almost to a fault. He was blinded to the shenanigans of Lucien Bouchard. Mulroney would have kicked Bouchard out of cabinet before he formed the Bloc if Muroney were truly a sociopath.

There is talk that the CBC fed questions to the Liberals to ask Mulroney. I first heard it from Jean Lapierre in discussion with Mike Duffy after Mulroney's testimony. Specifically the questions regarding the recent wireless spectrum decisions. To all questions Mulroney replied he had nothing to do with that file.

Someone from the Liberal Party (can't remember the name but was named on MDL a few minutes ago) confirmed that yes the CBC has suggested questions for the ethics committee.

The CBC is expected to comment. If this is all true, there is a major problem with the public broadcaster getting involved in the politics conducted in the House.

Well it was on CBC radio this morning, in the words of Pat Martin, if I'm not mistaken, that Mulroney stated under oath few years back that he only had a "passing relationship" with Schreiber. Cannot comment on the authenticity of the original fact, but at least it's something that can be checked. And, if true, followed upon.

Yes that is true. Mulroney stated under oath that he never "had any dealings with Schreiber" and that they met only "once or twice for a cup of coffee". You can view the entire transcript: Here (link)

Yes that is true. Mulroney stated under oath that he never "had any dealings with Schreiber" and that they met only "once or twice for a cup of coffee". You can view the entire transcript: Here (link)

Sheer madness that it is revealed that crooks run the nation - sadder is the fact we all think it's normal...Put Malroney on welfare - and send Shriber off to play chess with Conrad..I am sure they would all get along just fine - what this does is condition us to feel that a world of treachery and theft is good - so Brian did not pay taxes on his money huh -------yep - and me they taxed to death - let me move into brians house and he can have my welfare cheque - time to make the world a fair playing field again.

It would be more fitting if you moved into Chretien's house. Like you, he did nothing for years.

Hey - I spent 5 solid years bickering with the civil courts - fighting a over a social justice issue - that was a lot of work - 24 7 for over 5 years - you try that and see if you have the endurance? Plus - I painted and built up a collection of good work - and this poverty thing is of my own choosing...love you corporates who actually believe you are better than me. Your funny! As long as a piece of bread drops from the corrupt masters table you are loyal - I met the guy who has influence over prime ministers - this real old powerful lawyer - and he said one thing of other lawyers and politicals - and people like yourself - "they are dogs - they will do anything and say anything for a pay cheque" And this guy moves a billion bucks at a time - he tells me " WHY CAN'T YOU HOLD A JOB?" -- Well - never really had a job per say..but I worked hard and did what I WANTED TO DO - unlike those that are full of cowardice...nothing personal...but....Chretien and that fat nut Shellia Copps were unfit for public service - whent the former prime minister startyed strangling reporters - a red flag should have went up - when crazy Sheillia would leap across a parlimentary table and grab someone by the throat - she should have been removed - but you jerks think that hooligans are a good thing - both of these jerks should have been charged with assualt and driven out of town on a rail.

Hey - I spent 5 solid years bickering with the civil courts - fighting a over a social justice issue - that was a lot of work - 24 7 for over 5 years - you try that and see if you have the endurance?

Why , you didnt. You dont work remember? It is beneath you.

Plus - I painted and built up a collection of good work

How easy is it to keep the crayon inside the lines? Did you feel like cheating, you know, instead af red in all the 8's, casually sneak a green in an 8 once in awhile?

- and this poverty thing is of my own choosing..

Sure....lets see....make a little money and feed and clothe myself, put a roof over my head, OR....just slide into poverty.

Ill take poverty for $50 Alex.

.love you corporates who actually believe you are better than me. Your funny!

Uh...it is not a belief. It is actually quite true.

There is talk that the CBC fed questions to the Liberals to ask Mulroney. I first heard it from Jean Lapierre in discussion with Mike Duffy after Mulroney's testimony. Specifically the questions regarding the recent wireless spectrum decisions. To all questions Mulroney replied he had nothing to do with that file.

Someone from the Liberal Party (can't remember the name but was named on MDL a few minutes ago) confirmed that yes the CBC has suggested questions for the ethics committee.

The CBC is expected to comment. If this is all true, there is a major problem with the public broadcaster getting involved in the politics conducted in the House.

Yes, I saw that exchange also but what you may not know was that Con that said that or accused the Lib of taking the question from CBC, was on CBC with Don Newman and he didn't take the same treatment he gets with Duffy and it appears he was ticked off at CBC. The Lib said he wrote up all his own questions. The question that hit home to the Cons was...Did Brian ever talk to Industry Minister Bernier about the cell phone deal. Mulroney first refused to answer but he had to, then said he knew Bernier father, who was part of Mulroney's gov't and that he couldn't RECALL if he had talked to him as the industry ministry, but he had talked to him as the Minister of Foreign Affairs.

Yes, I saw that exchange also but what you may not know was that Con that said that or accused the Lib of taking the question from CBC, was on CBC with Don Newman and he didn't take the same treatment he gets with Duffy and it appears he was ticked off at CBC. The Lib said he wrote up all his own questions. The question that hit home to the Cons was...Did Brian ever talk to Industry Minister Bernier about the cell phone deal. Mulroney first refused to answer but he had to, then said he knew Bernier father, who was part of Mulroney's gov't and that he couldn't RECALL if he had talked to him as the industry ministry, but he had talked to him as the Minister of Foreign Affairs.

Canadian eilte has no shame - if there is one Brian and one Conrad then there are thousands...this is our best - dear lord spare me from this filth!

Just to add, the Con admitted that his personal view was the committee needs not go any further because Schrieber is lying.

Canadian Press reporting how the Tories handled Mulroney with kid gloves.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/mulroney_tories

f Brian Mulroney's appearance before a Commons committee was high political theatre, the Conservatives came well prepared with stage direction and scripts that subtly favoured the former prime minister.

There was perhaps no better indication of this than directly following the Mulroney's testimony, when Tory MP Russ Hiebert emerged to read from notes he said he had drafted over the past four hours at the committee table.

The page was a computer-printed sheet with bullets carefully highlighted and circled for emphasis. There was no computer printer in the committee room.

Any more committee meetings would just a be "partisan witch-hunt," he announced.

Similarly, Hiebert began his line of questioning in the room with a prepared statement about a quarter of the way through four hours of testimony..

"Today you've spoken to the nation and provided answers to some of the questions that have lingered in the minds of Canadians for years," Hiebert declared.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's government has had a mercurial approach to dealing with the Mulroney-Schreiber affair since it erupted this fall with tales of envelopes stuffed with cash and alleged shady deals. Initially, the Conservatives flew to the defence of Mulroney, suggesting the opposition was engaging in smears and "witch-hunts".

Nice to see Russ Hiebert caught in a complete lie in the committee room.

Canadian Press reporting how the Tories handled Mulroney with kid gloves.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/mulroney_tories

Nice to see Russ Hiebert caught in a complete lie in the committee room.

[/quote Is that why he turned and ran off so fast??? I wondered I wasn't paying that much attention at that time but I wondered what drove him off. If you remember, NDP Martin, realized the last time Schrieber was there that Hiebert had info. about something that only a few knew about and he picked up on that by the line of questioning he (Hiebert) did with Schrieber.

Yes, I saw that exchange also but what you may not know was that Con that said that or accused the Lib of taking the question from CBC, was on CBC with Don Newman and he didn't take the same treatment he gets with Duffy and it appears he was ticked off at CBC.

It wasn't the "Con" Del Mastro that made the accusation. It was Jean Lapierre. Here's part of the press release issued by the Conservatives. I don't have a link as it's not yet on the internet. I copied it from another blog and I don't want to break any forum rules.

Conservatives Demand Answers from the CBC over Alleged Collusion with the Liberal Party

OTTAWA - Today, former Liberal Cabinet Minister and current TVA journalist Jean Lapierre made shocking allegations about strategic collusion between journalists at the CBC and Liberal Members of Parliament at the House of Commons Ethics Committee.

According to Lapierre Liberal Members of Parliament asked former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney questions written by journalists at the CBC regarding any involvement in the spectrum auction for cellular and wireless devices.

The Lib said he wrote up all his own questions.

That's what we'd expect him to say.

O.K. so he got caught over prepared. I admit that. :rolleyes:

The salient point is that what Hiebert was reading from was most probably not inspired or prepared by Canadian Broadcasting Corporation researchers or journalists.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not agreeing with Lapierre's allegations until all the facts are known. Lapierre's allegations have not been proved definitively but it does raise eyebrows.

It would also be nice to hear Mulroney explain why he originally said the money was to "promote a pasta business". He was asked a question along those lines, and his only response was that it was Schreiber who said that...but in fact Mulroney said that's what the money was for. Why did he change his story?

Here's an interesting article on Mulroney's story then vs. now: Link