Paying our athletes?

Topaz

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a waste of money to me. Why should someone get money just because they can run fast, or make it down a hill fast? If I'm good at videogames, should the government give me $20,000?

We have another thread about poverty in Canada, so I'll ask: Who is more deserving of money, someone who does not have shelter and needs that money to put a roof over their head, or someone who can run fast?

So how many kids do you have who would like a try at the olympics, can you afford it. I know, for instance, that the Lees had to mortgage their home to get their girls anywhere near the olympics. Lots of kids never get the chance because it is too expensive. We can feed our poor and support our athletes

So how many kids do you have who would like a try at the olympics, can you afford it. I know, for instance, that the Lees had to mortgage their home to get their girls anywhere near the olympics. Lots of kids never get the chance because it is too expensive. We can feed our poor and support our athletes

How many kids would like a brand new Mercedes-Benz but can't afford it? We should buy one for anyone who wants one. No one should be denied the chance to own a new Mercedes-Benz.

Sounds like a waste of money to me. Why should someone get money just because they can run fast, or make it down a hill fast? If I'm good at videogames, should the government give me $20,000?

We have another thread about poverty in Canada, so I'll ask: Who is more deserving of money, someone who does not have shelter and needs that money to put a roof over their head, or someone who can run fast?

I guess it just depends on how important the Olympics are to a country. Australia enjoys a degree of national pride and international reputation in sports far out of proportion to their size. I think that is a positive thing for a country. If video games ever become an Olympic sport and you medal, yes you should get paid.

We have pro athletes who earn millions a year competing in the Olympics, some of whom refuse to live in the Olympic Village because they are too good for it. The US mens basketball team at Barcelona comes to mind but no doubt they were and are not the only ones.

Anyone know who got the bronze or silver in the Decathlon last Olympics? I don't yet they are arguably the second and third best all round athletes on the planet. Hell, I don't even remember who got the gold. Unless they are from country and in a sport where they can draw big endorsement contracts, they may be living just above the poverty line in order just to get there.

It's a good idea, I think.

I guess it just depends on how important the Olympics are to a country. Australia enjoys a degree of national pride and international reputation in sports far out of proportion to their size. I think that is a positive thing for a country.

So national pride is the reason you think we should be paying medal winners? Well, I don't see how, for example, flying down a hill in a sled a fraction of a second faster than someone else instills national pride, but maybe that's just me... Personally, I take more national pride in the fact that Canada does a relatively good job of taking care of the poor. I take national pride in our education and healthcare systems. I'm sure many other people agree with me. So if helping the poor instills national pride, shouldn't we fund that instead?

I like the idea. The training these athletes put into their sport is grueling especially if they want to compete at the international level. It requires a lot of self discipline and sacrifice. Some of these kids get part time jobs to pay for their training and other expenses. It also costs parents a lot of money.

It's an incentive for very young athletes to follow the dream of competing in the Olympics. If this results in providing Canada the cream of the crop, i.e. the best athletes, why not? Canada could use a few more heroes right now.

The cost to the Treasury is a mere pittance compared to the waste that goes on daily in some government programs.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this one. Apparently, the US, Australia,England, France, and Spain do pay their people. Canada will pay 20,000 for gold, 15,000 for silver and 10,000 for Bronze. Do you think this may lead to more people doping themselves to win?

Seems that the best are rarely taken care of. Athletes who are like artist in their dedication to excellence visit the food bank - and if your not from a better part of town where there are worthy and respectful donations, you may as well be eating out of the garbage can. Same as some of the more non-compliant welfare recipients. The ones who are brilliant but eccentric and do not fit into average society. Even these are driven systemically into fainting spells caused by hunger - imagine the struggling super human with dreams of achieving the super natural on the field of competion..not quite being up to par because that can of beans and stale pasta was not quite enough to get him or her across the line.

You must support your best thinkers and persons that are gifted in body and drive. Clipping the angels wings out of a quiet jealousy for attempting to fly high while the rest of us creep about is not something to be tolerated. Pay them - pay all the people that contribute - and to make them compete for food is a travesty. They say that competition brings out the best. Sometimes survivalist yearning do not bring out the best - and sometimes its true that the best retract their services to the nation when faced with the lowest and most base of competitions - the groveling and competing for somthing to eat - You bail out poorly managed corporations as routine - make it routine to take care of our heros. Without them we all become more base and less encouraged to fly and reach for the stars.

If I'm good at videogames, should the government give me $20,000?

Actually, there are alot of leagues where you can win money for this. Not only that but you can get tons of sponsorship deals. However, you have to be really good. Kind of like Olympic athletes. However, as they are almost exclusively amateur they cannot get sponsorship deals until they are proven winners. That is why it is imperative that governments sponsor athletics.

Why is it important if someone can run fast or ski quickly? Really it isn't, either are any of the myriad of professional sports whose athletes get millions. If the government wants to pay athletes $20,000 to win a gold, it really is a pittance when you consider the years of training and the sacrifices to careers they go through.

Oleg, I'm going out on a limb here to see if I understand your thoughts. You think that poor kids who are gifted athletes are disadvantaged and can't reach their potential.

If this is correct, I fully agree with you. I wish there was a way we could recognize inherent athletic talent in disadvantaged children and nurture that gift somehow. I have seen this happen in minor hockey. Some parents simply did not have money to pay for the equipment necessary to put the kid on the ice but the kids had tons of talent.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this one. Apparently, the US, Australia,England, France, and Spain do pay their people. Canada will pay 20,000 for gold, 15,000 for silver and 10,000 for Bronze. Do you think this may lead to more people doping themselves to win?
This is proof positive that governments are out of control and spend too much of other people's money.

If anyone wants to give money to an Olympic athlete, they are free to send a cheque to their preferred athlete. By what right though, does anyone have the right to send my money?

I like the idea. The training these athletes put into their sport is grueling especially if they want to compete at the international level. It requires a lot of self discipline and sacrifice. Some of these kids get part time jobs to pay for their training and other expenses. It also costs parents a lot of money.
Send your own money to them then. But do you have the right to reach into my wallet and send my money to them too?

There is something truly disturbing about the way people feel noble in spending other people's money on someone else.

Edited by August1991

This is proof positive that governments are out of control and spend too much of other people's money.

If anyone wants to give money to an Olympic athlete, they are free to send a cheque to their preferred athlete. By what right though, does anyone have the right to send my money?

They have that right because we have voted them into power and therfore given them legislative powers over all of us. The federal budget is passed every year as a piece of legislation.

They have that right because we have voted them into power and therfore given them legislative powers over all of us. The federal budget is passed every year as a piece of legislation.
By that logic, everything the federal government does - since it was elected democratically - is beyond reproach.

Sorry, I disagree. It is too easy for politicians to spend other people's money because it is too easy to be generous with other people's money.

If there is a case for individual charity and no need for government largesse, this is surely it. If the people advocating 20,000$ for gold medal winners really believe this is a good idea, then send a 20$ cheque to the athlete. A thousand such people and you'll accomplish your mission. There's no need for government involvement or spending other people's money.

Edited by August1991

They have that right because we have voted them into power and therfore given them legislative powers over all of us.

One thing I expect of government is that the programs it funds have a clear purpose and achievable results. Sometimes the purpose and result is tangible and sometimes it is intangible.

In the case of rewarding athletes, I would think one objective is to increase Canada's medal count. So let's see if this program works following the results of the next Olympics. This is a tangible outcome.

If the program results in more medals, intangible results are national pride in our athletes and our accomplishment as a country.

That is fine. August stated:

And I answered him. I didn't add whether or not governments shouldn't be held accountable for poor legislation but it is within their mandate. I can understand why some believe that athletic sponsorship is a bad idea, but honestly I would rather spend a few million a year on that than many of the other crap things government spends money on.

this is a bad idea and is a waste of tax payer money. who cares if canada wins a medal or not?

how much does the gov. spend funding these athletes year in and year out. they should spend this money on the thousands of people who cant get access to basic sports programs because of cost. we can get along just fine without olympic athletes or their few medals.

What I don't like about the Olympics is, the athletics, who go there knowing they are cheaters and they feel that's the only way to win. Yes, Canada had one guy but there are nations that are able to do this with drugs that can't be detected, so the honest athletics are done before they start like in baseball, and other sports and people are getting tired of the cheats and it takes away from the sport.

i guess this money comes from the olympic commitee and not really from the gov. i think the gov. still puts in lots of $ for their living expenses and maybe training.

No one knows what the figures are and "I think" that the gov puts in the appropriate amount of money for day to day training is speculative..everyone knows what the average welfare payment is - or what the corporate heads make in compensation for their effort - someone should quote a figure what olympic athetes actually recieve...or don't recieve for that matter - make it public..it will either bring pride or shame to the government. I for one do not have a clue what the athletes get or do not get as far as support.