Paying our athletes?

Topaz

It's well known that Canadians do not celebrate their own. We are modest to a fault. We want the medals, we want the winners, but some of us are not willing to give support to our fellow Canadians who spend their youth working their butt off to make us all proud to be Canucks. The Olympics are one of the funner, nicer things in life for us all to enjoy. What is so wrong with spending money on things that inspire us and give us a lift? In my mind, there is no reason why we cannot spare a few bucks to give our young people an incentive to represent us. The Government has spent a lot more money on things like statues. Our athletes are symbols too, a symbol of our talent as a nation.

I feel the same way. There are so few things that we can take pride in as a nation. If paying medal winners even slightly improves our standings and performance at the Olympics then this relatively small expenditure is well worth it.

How many of us didn't feel proud when we beat the Russian hockey team in 1972? The country literally stood to a standstill to watch it unfold. To this day we still talk about that victory and tell our kids about it. This is the kind of national pride that is good for a country's heart and soul.

Let's support this initiative.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the same way. There are so few things that we can take pride in as a nation. If paying medal winners even slightly improves our standings and performance at the Olympics then this relatively small expenditure is well worth it.

What, rewarding people because they are the best? How un Canadian can you get?

How many of us didn't feel proud when we beat the Russian hockey team in 1972? The country literally stood to a standstill to watch it unfold. To this day we still talk about that victory and tell our kids about it. This is the kind of national pride that is good for a country's heart and soul.

Let's support this initiative.

It's ironic that you should mention the Russian/Canadian hockey game. I had absolutley no interest in hockey until I got swept up watching the Canadian women's team win the gold a few years back. Then the men's team won too. Wow, that was amazing and due to these games, I am now an ardent hockey fan.

Yet you have a real problem with rewarding someone who achieves something extraordinary on the world stage wearing your country's colours and under your flag. Interesting.

People represent our country all the time and don't get federal funding for it.

Yes I agree they should be paid, but private business and donations can fund this.

Hmm.. that's another great idea. The gov't would no longer be allowed to make donations of any kind. They can only spend money a service that services the public.

Well said Wilber, Most Atheletes are sponsored by the corporate world, They are after all representing Canada and our flag why not invest in thier future. We as tax payers have invested in alot worse. how much of our tax dollars have just our politions wasted....this is not about just money but selling our nation, our pride, who we are as Canadians to the world. Or are we just a bunch of cheap bastards.

When it comes to promoting and rewarding excellence we are cheap bastards. Being the best at something in front of the world is so ostentatious and showy. Most un Canadian and something best left to Americans.

That's not entirely true i'm sure. I'm sure we are funding all competitors in some way shape or form.

Yes we are to some degree but this initiative is purely performance based. We support all kinds of things, some have personal value to me and some don't but they have value to others. If enough people don't like this idea, it probably won't go very far but if it gets results in Beijing and 2010, my guess is it will.