Imam Said Jaziri deported to Tunisia

Caution...the following is "tolerance"-incompatible. Either a criminal "homophobe" is deported, or we open our arms and embrace a Muslim. The trouble is, of course, that he might be tortured, perhaps in a dreaded Abu Griab style bumpile, if he's sent to Tunisia. The other trouble is that he's a Muslim, so shouldn't we be embracing his multicultural rights?

A controversial, outspoken Muslim imam in Montreal was arrested yesterday and faces deportation after his refugee status was revoked for failing to disclose a past criminal conviction.

Saïd Jaziri, a 40-year-old maverick cleric from Tunisia, triggered an uproar in recent days after his appearance on a television talk show where he spoke of homosexuality as a sin.

[snip]

The imam of the Al Qods mosque in northeast Montreal, Mr. Jaziri has made headlines for campaigning in favour of faith-based sharia courts of law for Canadian Muslims.

He has also led demonstrations against the publication of caricatures of the prophet Mohammed, even as other leaders urged the community to stay clear of such events for fear of inflaming the situation.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...PStory/National

Caution...the following is "tolerance"-incompatible. Either a criminal "homophobe" is deported, or we open our arms and embrace a Muslim. The trouble is, of course, that he might be tortured, perhaps in a dreaded Abu Griab style bumpile, if he's sent to Tunisia. The other trouble is that he's a Muslim, so shouldn't we be embracing his multicultural rights?

We should embrace him like you embrace old news.....?

Still in the realm of old news, but two days newer.........

Imam giving up his bid to stay, lawyer says

SIDHARTHA BANERJEE

The Canadian Press

October 18, 2007

MONTREAL -- One of the lawyers for a controversial Montreal imam says her client's impending deportation is purely political and his return to Tunisia next week seems unavoidable.

and even newer still.......

http://www.680news.com/news/national/artic...ontent=n102142A

Interesting opinion, n'est ce pas?.....Amnesty Internation defends the person, not his ideas....that sounds like someone I know (points finger at Scott)

From along time ago about a dispicable group (but similar to muslim extremists)

1 I think they have every right to try to convince people they are right.

2 I agree with their views that multiracial immigration ought to be stopped (for a generation).

3 It is because of people like them that I think it ought to be stopped (for a generation).

4 I abhor their reasons for wanting to stop immigration.

5 I abhor their tactics.

Whats the problem here ?

The guy lied about his criminal record, thats not good and hes a religious bigot to boot, no developed society needs ppl like that and hes being considered for citizenship I dont have a problem with him being denied it here.

No one is illegal.......... :lol:

We should embrace him like you embrace old news.....?

Still in the realm of old news, but two days newer.........

and even newer still.......

http://www.680news.com/news/national/artic...ontent=n102142A

Interesting opinion, n'est ce pas?.....Amnesty Internation defends the person, not his ideas....that sounds like someone I know (points finger at Scott)

From along time ago about a dispicable group (but similar to muslim extremists)

Cite please?

Oh...by the by, did you know the Hieland variant of the name in Mac*****w.....but your appelation is the lowland......*****son

Nonsense. Just because most are in the lowlands doesn't mean there weren't any in the hilands. The variant you're talking about is the original circa 1400 or so. There are no geographical demarkations between the names. Pfffft...

Try as he might with a tearful (but boilerplate) sob story including now infamous "torture card", Imam Said Jaziri must bid fairwell to Canada after lying to Canadian immigration officials to gain entry:

The cleric, 40, is accused of hiding a criminal record in France and exaggerating the risks of imminent torture or death if returned to Tunisia.

He maintains his criminal record was expunged after he helped French security forces.

Rhadia Nasraoui, Jaziri's Tunisian lawyer, said she fears he could face torture upon his return to the country.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

More votes for the CPC!

This guy is a character. He asked an interviewer not to drink wine in his presence. He rejects homosexuality. He married an English-Canadian woman who is now seven months pregnant. (She regularly appears on local media usually in tears calling pleading for her husband's case. BTW, she does a great disservice to feminism when she does that.)

He accepted an invitation to Quebec's most popular talk show and then failed to appear. He founded a controversial mosque in Montreal and lead protests against the Danish cartoons.

His refugee case has been pending for about 10 years. (That says far more about our immigration system than it does about him.) I suspect that his wife will simply sponsor him as a family class case and he'll return to Canada on humanitarian grounds - eventually.

Edited by August1991

I haven't been following this that closely. Can anyone tell me the nature of the criminal past he concealed when applying as a refugee? What was/were the crimes?
According to Wikipedia, he was convicted in Tunisia for belonging to an illegal organization and he was convicted (in absentia in 1994) in France for destruction of a computer and encouraging attacks against a person. Upon his arrival in France in 1995, he was arrested and spent 8 months in prison.

It is a serious offense to state falsely on a Canadian immigration form that one has no criminal record. This is the ostensible reason for his current deportation.

Here's a good quote from a well-known Montreal columnist:

«On a interviewé plusieurs personnes au cours des neuf dernières années, aux Francs-Tireurs : des juifs hassidiques, des curés, des cathos anti-avortement, des rabbins, Raël… Mais personne ne nous a demandé de censurer notre émission. Personne, sauf l’imam Jaziri. Et après ça, monsieur parle de respect, d’ouverture, de tolérance, d’acceptation des différences. Mon œil!» Richard Martineau
Already covered on another thread. "Leftists read this ONLY......"
True but that thread has such a crappy and misleading title. Edited by August1991

Already covered on another thread. "Leftists read this ONLY......"
True but that thread has such a crappy and misleading title.
Thank you guys for pointing this out.

This thread is an amalgamation of the following two previous threads:

Leftists read this ONLY at the risk of severe dissonance
Buh-Bye Mr. Jaziri, ...I hear Tunisia is nice this year!

All of the posts in each of the daughter-threads are preserved in chronological order in this now merged mother-thread. I think both of the previous titles are poor. The first thread is terribly non-descriptive and completely useless for anybody who wants to search to see if there is a previous thread on the same topic. The second thread is borderline inflammatory.

The deportation of this guy is a good thing, as yes he had lied in order to get refugee status here and then he went on to cause as much hate as he could. It does not matter that his Canadian wife is now pregnant 7 months, as it was a decision she chose and it should not have any bearing on this at all. We do not stop her from joining her husband in Tunisia if she wants to.

I think that finally we have some action on what appears to be a more recent shift in attitudes, by the Canadian public. That being, they have seen enough of this and they want this same action taken quicker and much more often, to remove those who have come here by illegal means. Yes lieing on the refugee claiment forms, make them illegal aliens. We also are seeing that the people of Canada are demanding that these people be sent back to their homelands, even if they claim, they will be tortured and abused. If that claim is not seen by our officers as being a sure thing, then we send them home. If this guy wants to start disrupting the social order in his Tunisia, then yes I am sure he will get charged and all that follows this, in his homeland.

There are true and real people who are refugees, and deserve our time and ability to help them. But one like this only serve to make helping those who deserve it, much harder to do. But with the way this has ended, it holds some hope. I just wish it did not take so long to do it. Maybe we can speed this up and that way the deserving will be processed quicker, and they will probably fit in much better then those who only come to tell us how evil we are here, for our very way of life.

Jaziri arrived safely in Tunisia following his deportation. Apparently he gave good public performances on a couple of occasions claiming he had been tortured by Canadian border agency officers during the flight.

The Muslim cleric said the way he was treated qualified as psychological and physical torture, a nightmare that would take a lifetime to get over.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2007...jaziri1023.html

Paradis said the chartered flight made several stops, including one in Portugal where Jaziri asked to go to the washroom. Paradis said when Jaziri realized he was in a public area at the airport, "he fell to the floor and started yelling and screaming about pain.''

snip

Jaziri also "started screaming'' about being "molested'' when he arrived in Tunisia, Paradis said.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...1023?hub=Canada

Is he setting up some kind of scenario for a lawsuit against the Canadian government? I suppose with his wife and soon-to-be-born child still in Canada he could sue us by proxy? :lol: