Judge orders Paris Hilton back to jail

Updated Fri. Jun. 8 2007 6:13 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A judge ordered a screaming Paris Hilton back to jail on Friday, overturning a decision to have her serve the remainder of her sentence under house arrest.

A distraught Hilton, 26, was taken from court sobbing hysterically after being told she will have to serve the remainder of her 45-day-sentence behind bars.

"It's not right!" Hilton shouted in tears.

"Mom!" she screamed to her mother who was watching in the audience.

A teary-eyed Hilton, handcuffed in the back of a police vehicle, was taken by Los Angeles Sheriff's Department to court earlier in the day.

Superior Court Judge Michael T. Sauer was irritated by developments in the case.

The judge said he left the courthouse Thursday night having signed an order for Hilton to appear for the hearing.

When he entered his vehicle on Friday morning, he said, he heard a radio report that she would not appear and that he had approved a telephonic hearing.

He said no such thing had been approved by him.

"I at no time condoned the actions of the sheriff and at no time told him I approved the actions,'' he said of the decision to release Hilton from jail after three days.

"At no time did I approve the defendant being released from custody to her home on Kings Road,'' he said.

Los Angeles City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo spearheaded the charge to get Hilton back in jail and deemed justice was served on Friday.

"This decision sends the message that no individual -- no matter how wealthy or powerful -- is above the law. Today, justice was served,'' Delgadillo said in a statement.

On Thursday, Hilton was transferred from jail to house arrest because of an undisclosed medical condition after serving only three-full days of her sentence.

During the hearing, the judge said that he had not seen any documentation to support claims that Hilton was suffering from a medical condition.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

From what I gather, the sheriff acted on his own in releasing Paris Hilton from jail to serve the remainder of her sentence under house arrest.

I can't say this case adds anything to the good repute of the California justice system. What a dog's breakfast (lucky Tinkerbell, I guess).

It's starting to take on the aura of the French Revolution, in the gleeful desire from the mob to punish this brainless rich girl who apparently is guilty of little other than being rich, insensitive, slutty and sheltered.

Yes, yes, I know. The car thing. She shouldn't have been driving. But apparently, according to the Sheriff, people with that kind of charge are virtually never incarcerated in LA because of prison overcrowding. They're either fined or given house arrest sentences.

Yes, yes, I know. The car thing. She shouldn't have been driving. But apparently, according to the Sheriff, people with that kind of charge are virtually never incarcerated in LA because of prison overcrowding. They're either fined or given house arrest sentences.
She probably spends more than the maximum fine getting her toenails cleaned. House arrest is also not much of a punishment for the idle rich. Other cases of celebrity convictions usually come with a huge personal/professional cost (i.e. Mel Gibson) which is often worse that any jail sentence. The judge had to give her jail time because that is the only sentence that could have possibly been a deterrent for her.

I heard on the news (not sure which as all media carried this as their top story) that the Sheriff deciding on house arrest for Paris, was repaying a debt to someone close to her, for a contribution toward the Sheriff's election campaign.

"In the United States a sheriff is generally (but not always) the highest, usually elected, law enforcement officer of a county."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheriff

Wiki doesn't say if Cal Sheriffs are elected. I suspect they are given the Sheriff's authority in this case.

The judge reversed the Sheriff's decision. There is more at play here than simply equal justice for all no matter your status in society.

She probably spends more than the maximum fine getting her toenails cleaned. House arrest is also not much of a punishment for the idle rich. Other cases of celebrity convictions usually come with a huge personal/professional cost (i.e. Mel Gibson) which is often worse that any jail sentence. The judge had to give her jail time because that is the only sentence that could have possibly been a deterrent for her.

How about community service? Isn't that something that everyone on the left has been pushing for non-violent offenders?

How about community service? Isn't that something that everyone on the left has been pushing for non-violent offenders?

Only if we can videotape it and use the footage for another season of the simple life :lol: Just kidding. Actually, I think that would be a good idea.

Argus is probably correct in saying that Paris Hilton is being punished for her celebrity.

Riverwind is probably correct in saying that anything less than jail-time wouldn't be any sort of deterrent or punishment for Ms Hilton.

In a situation like this, where the criminal is high profile, I think the justice system is under extra scrutiny, and takes extra care to not be perceived to be giving special treatment to a privileged offender, and also to serve notice to would-be lawbreakers that breaking the law has consequences.

I don't know if it's appropriate that she receive stiffer punishment than an "ordinary" person would receive for the same offense. All I really know is that Paris Hilton is living proof that someone can have every conceivable advantage in life and still grow up to be a piece of trash.

-k

A Paris Hilton thread. Kewl!

All I really know is that Paris Hilton is living proof that someone can have every conceivable advantage in life and still grow up to be a piece of trash.
So, driving with a suspended license now merits the title "piece of trash" (or are you referring to a different magazine cover scandal)? I wonder what title you apply to recruiters of child soldiers in Africa.
Original point that I hadn't seen elsewhere. I mean, shouldn't society try to reform this criminal?

----

As for myself, I was impressed by something else. I heard (no link for proof) that the Paris Hilton prison break received the most Internet hits for news stories this past week. Bear in mind that among other events, the G8 were meeting in Germany and discussing global warming.

Now, some might point to this factoid as evidence of the utter decrepitude of American society. Others might argue that a few large corporations control the agenda and divert attention from the real issues. Except that Internet hits amount to millions of people freely choosing to click on a news report of their choice. America is not decrepit and large corporations don't control the agenda.

IOW, the Left (and thinkers in general) better understand why ordinary people take more interest in the antics of some socialite rather than the complexities of global warming.

Last point. Has anyone seen It Happened One Night? I figure Paris Hilton is due for this in real life or a screenwriter will create the scenario for her.

Original point that I hadn't seen elsewhere. I mean, shouldn't society try to reform this criminal?
Putting Paris in jail will most likely ensure she never breaks the driving laws again. I am not convinced that community service would have the same deterrent effect for this particular individual. We are not talking about a career criminal that accepts periodic jail time as a fact of life.
As for myself, I was impressed by something else. I heard (no link for proof) that the Paris Hilton prison break received the most Internet hits for news stories this past week. Bear in mind that among other events, the G8 were meeting in Germany and discussing global warming.
I mostly ignored this story until I heard that Paris was released after three days. I got interested because it sounded like something really fishy was going on with the US justice system. IOW - the Paris story is no longer a celebrity story but a story comparable to the stories about criminals who get released early or are not given sentences that the public thinks they deserve.

For that reason, I don't think it reasonable to assume there is 'something wrong with society'. People have a legimate interest in ensuring that the justice system actually delivers 'justice'.

If justice is blind, which it should be in a free society, then Paris should have walked on this one. Similiar treatment for similar offenses, all I've seen so far is that most people would have just been fined.

We can't start tailoring sentenances to best suit a political (or moral) point.

If you break x law, you should get y punishment, regardless of who you are.

I don't have alot of sympathy for Paris, but I thought the way the police handed her re-arrest was quite insensitive. Perhaps that's the way they always do it, but of course the media has to be there to laugh at Paris in her darkest hour.

She had trouble coming to her for a long time, but I don't think it's reasonable for her to spend an hour more in jail than I would have served committing the same crime.

If justice is blind, which it should be in a free society, then Paris should have walked on this one. Similiar treatment for similar offenses, all I've seen so far is that most people would have just been fined.
There is no such thing as a 'one size fits all' sentence. Judges always tailor their sentences to the individual involved. That is why there is so much opposition in the legal community to mandatory sentencing guidelines. That is also why there are many examples of gross injustices in juristictions that do impose mandatory sentencing guidelines such as the three strike rule.

A Paris Hilton thread. Kewl!

"That's hawt"

All I really know is that Paris Hilton is living proof that someone can have every conceivable advantage in life and still grow up to be a piece of trash.
So, driving with a suspended license now merits the title "piece of trash" (or are you referring to a different magazine cover scandal)?

I mean trash in the sense of being trashy.

This is a person who has had every opportunity and advantage handed to her on a silver platter, yet remains ignorant, stupid, a habititual binge drinker and drug user, made her mark in life by having sex on videotape, and has had repeated trouble with the law prior to this.

I wonder what title you apply to recruiters of child soldiers in Africa.

Something worse. While Paris Hilton's television program is considered by some to be a crime against humanity, I think the scale of the suffering she has caused is rather minor compared to that sort of thing.

-k

Paris' statement today, pay attention to the last sentence:

Today I told my attorneys not to appeal the judge's decision. While I greatly appreciate the Sheriff's concern for my health and welfare, after meeting with doctors I intend to serve my time as ordered by the judge.

This is by far the hardest thing I have ever done. During the past several days, I have had a lot of time to reflect and have already learned a bitter, but important lesson from this experience.

As I have said before, I hope others will learn from my mistake. I have also had time to read the mail from my fans. I very much appreciate all of their good wishes and hope they will keep their letters coming.

I must also say that I was shocked to see all of the attention devoted to the amount of time I would spend in jail for what I had done by the media, public and city officials. I would hope going forward that the public and the media will focus on more important things, like the men and women serving our country in Iraq, Afghanistan and other places around the world.

Wow, I'm impressed.

Her ordeal has been the predominant story on CNN just as Anna Nicole Smith's death overshadowed all the news..... and don't even get me started on Britney's shaved head or Lohan's DUI.

I'm glad at least Paris is pointing out this folly in so-called journalistic reporting.

And another twist in the story, the wife of the prosecutor who was asking for more time for Paris was also arrested for driving with a suspended license, yet she was fined $186 dollars.

Official's wife drove on suspended license

L.A. City Atty. Rocky Delgadillo's spouse was fined for a 2005 traffic violation incurred while she shouldn't have been at the wheel. His spokesman sees no comparison to the Hilton case.

By Patrick McGreevy, Times Staff Writer

June 9, 2007

Los Angeles City Atty. Rocky Delgadillo acknowledged Friday that his wife got a traffic ticket while driving with a suspended license in 2005, which resulted in her paying a $186 fine.

The disclosure came on the same day that Delgadillo insisted on more jail time for heiress Paris Hilton.

Delgadillo said through a spokesman that his wife regrets the violation, but that her situation is not comparable to the Hilton case.

"Paris Hilton, when driving with a suspended license, was on probation for a DUI-reckless driving charge," said Nick Velasquez, the Delgadillo spokesman. "Ms. Hilton was jailed because she was driving on a suspended license in violation of the conditions of her probation for the DUI-reckless driving incident."

Michelle Delgadillo, 36, was ticketed two years ago for failing to obey a turn-only sign, but was not cited by the ticketing officer for the license suspension.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ro...ack=2&cset=true

And another twist in the story, the wife of the prosecutor who was asking for more time for Paris was also arrested for driving with a suspended license, yet she was fined $186 dollars.

How many times was this prosecutor's wife arrested for driving with a suspended license?

Compared to Hilton's arrest three times in the span of how many months?

"arrested Hilton in Hollywood on Sept. 7. In January, she pleaded no contest to a reduced charge of the alcohol-related reckless-driving charge. She was sentenced to 36 months' probation, alcohol education and $1,500 in fines.

But the heiress was pulled over again by California Highway Patrol on Jan. 15.

Officers informed Hilton she was driving on a suspended license and she signed a document acknowledging she was not to drive.

Then again on Feb. 27, she was pulled over by sheriff's deputies, at which time she was charged with violating her probation.

A traffic court judge ruled on May 4 that Hilton violated her probation and sentenced her to 45 days in jail. "

She is a repeat offender. And what exactly does that "reckless-driving" means?

One thing I notice, MADD hasn't issued any comments on this (unless I've missed it). I guess they're not in California.

I must also say that I was shocked to see all of the attention devoted to the amount of time I would spend in jail for what I had done by the media, public and city officials. I would hope going forward that the public and the media will focus on more important things, like the men and women serving our country in Iraq, Afghanistan and other places around the world.

Wow, I'm impressed.

Her ordeal has been the predominant story on CNN just as Anna Nicole Smith's death overshadowed all the news..... and don't even get me started on Britney's shaved head or Lohan's DUI.

I'm glad at least Paris is pointing out this folly in so-called journalistic reporting.

Well why is she surprised with all the attention, I wonder? I've read somewhere that she deliberately sought attention from the press in the past, trying to be controversial what with all the supposed staged cat-fight with another starlet, etc.

If her name is not HILTON, she would've been long forgotten!

The folly I see is BUYING into her effort to downplay the gravity of her action by blaming everyone who's now paying very close attention - because her name is HILTON - to the justice system.

That same attention she seemed to have craved and sought for now works against her - by probably forcing the hand of justice to show unbias and show it well! She is the Martha Stewart for DUI. Lol.

So she now plays the victim.

I guess it's a good thing nobody was hurt or killed by her actions. And if somebody did get hurt or killed, maybe the quality of her penalty would've depended on how rich and famous or.....how utterly ordinary her victim is. Too bad we couldn't do a realistic comparison on that score.

I'm glad Hilton had brought an awareness to a problem that might be in the system - and brought it out into the open - as to what must be rampantly been going on.

"Bringing awareness." It seems we need a celebrity to do this these days. From AIDS to the Environment to Iraq/Afghanistan, sealhunt, etc., So maybe this is Paris Hilton's baby.

Only if we can videotape it and use the footage for another season of the simple life :lol: Just kidding. Actually, I think that would be a good idea.

hey, they can always do a reality show!