The Left Wing Belief that Evanglicals desire the destruction

I came across this today, and am absolutely blown away by the rhetoric and what I see as mostly fabrications and a smear campaign against Christians. Personally I don't know evangelicals but years ago I had some neighbours who would fit that category,and I worked with two, but they sure didn't fit the stereotype pictured on some left wing sites. They believe that these Christians are actually seeking the destruction of the planet in order to facilitate the return of Christ e.g. the Rapture

What I see presented as suppposedly a wide group of Christians in the USA and Canada has virtually nothing to do with the Christianity I grew up with and people I know now. According to these 'progressives' they all read Tim LaHaye and have one goal: to facilitate God's hand to waft them up to heaven from where they will watch Armageddon and the destruction of Planet Earth. Apparantly it is the fastest growing religious movement in Christianity today and we should all be very afraid. :)-

To my mind this view has become a left wing mantra because of Bush and his beliefs which they pushin it in order to instill fear into the masses. While these people can stereotype this group of people apparantly we are not allowed to say anything similar about other religions.

Not sure I've got my point across and don't want to be too wordy, but I guess I am just flabbergasted at the hyprocrysy of the left. I don't doubt a number of people do believe in the Rapture, but I do not believe that they wish to facilitate the end of earth.

http://www.truthout.org/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi/38/8664

One of the biggest changes in politics in my lifetime is that the delusional is no longer marginal. It has come in from the fringe, to sit in the seat of power in the Oval Office and in Congress.

For the first time in our history, ideology and theology hold a monopoly of power in Washington. Theology asserts propositions that cannot be proven true; ideologues hold stoutly to a worldview despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality. The offspring of ideology and theology are not always bad but they are always blind. And that is the danger: voters and politicians alike, oblivious to the facts.

One-third of the American electorate, if a recent Gallup Poll is accurate, believes the Bible is literally true. This past November, several million good and decent citizens went to the polls believing in what is known as the "rapture index."

These true believers subscribe to a fantastical theology concocted in the 19th century by a couple of immigrant preachers who took disparate passages from the Bible and wove them into a narrative that has captivated the imagination of millions of Americans. Its outline is rather simple, if bizarre: Once Israel has occupied the rest of its "bibli-cal lands," legions of the Antichrist will attack it, triggering a final showdown in the valley of Armageddon. As the Jews who have not been converted are burned, the messiah will return for the rapture. True believers will be lifted out of their clothes and transported to heaven, where, seated next to the right hand of God, they will watch their political and religious opponents suffer plagues of boils, sores, locusts and frogs during the several years of tribulation that follow.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The First Prince of the Theocratic States of America

It happened quietly, with barely a mention in the media. Only the Washington Post dutifully reported it.[1] And only Kevin Phillips saw its significance in his new book, American Dynasty.[2] On December 24, 2001, Pat Robertson resigned his position as President of the Christian Coalition.

Behind the scenes religious conservatives were abuzz with excitement. They believed Robertson had stepped down to allow the ascendance of the President of the United States of America to take his rightful place as the head of the true American Holy Christian Church.

Robertson’s act was symbolic, but it carried a secret and solemn revelation to the faithful. It was the signal that the Bush administration was a government under God that was led by an anointed President who would be the first regent in a dynasty of regents awaiting the return of Jesus to earth. The President would now be the minister through whom God would execute His will in the nation. George W. Bush accepted his scepter and his sword with humility, grace and a sense of exultation.

As Antonin Scalia, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court explained a few months later, the Bible teaches and Christians believe “… that government …derives its moral authority from God. Government is the ‘minister of God’ with powers to ‘revenge,’ to ‘execute wrath,’ including even wrath by the sword…”[3]

-snip-

Today, Dominionists hide their agenda and have resorted to stealth; one investigator who has engaged in internet exchanges with people who identify themselves as religious conservatives said, “They cut and run if I mention the word ‘Dominionism.’”[11] Joan Bokaer, the Director of Theocracy Watch, a project of the Center for Religion, Ethics and Social Policy at Cornell University wrote, “In March 1986, I was on a speaking tour in Iowa and received a copy of the following memo [Pat] Robertson had distributed to the Iowa Republican County Caucus titled, “How to Participate in a Political Party.” It read;...

http://www.yuricareport.com/Dominionism/Th...ngOfAmerica.htm

So, I take it the paragraphs after the link are from the link?

I wonder how they accomodate those into their wacko theory who believe christians must go through the tribulation, and many will die. Why would people hasten to bring forth that?

Edit: That link from catchme is even funnier! Many Christians think that George Bush is doing a great disservice to christianity by his wars.

I wonder how they accomodate those into their wacko theory who believe christians must go through the tribulation, and many will die. Why would people hasten to bring forth that?

Edit: That link from catchme is even funnier! Many Christians think that George Bush is doing a great disservice to christianity by his wars.

Yes, guess I should have put in quotes.

Yes, the link she provided supports my theory that all this malarky about the rapture is part of the blogosphere's demonziation of Bush. Not that he's any angel, but you get my drift.

I came across this today, and am absolutely blown away by the rhetoric and what I see as mostly fabrications and a smear campaign against Christians. ... They believe that these Christians are actually seeking the destruction of the planet in order to facilitate the return of Christ e.g. the Rapture

I take it you are just outraged by the rhetoric and smear campaign against environmentalists in this link discussed in this thread ?

Because the judiciary is “an element” of the federal, state and local governments, this wording, if it becomes law, may allow any judge to institute biblical punishments without being subject to review by the Supreme Court or the federal court system. For a full description of the legal and practical implications of this bill, we have incorporated the following section from Katherine Yurica's article, "For Whom the Bell Tolls:"

"The writings of Dominionists are filled with examples of how they intend to extend biblical law, including the death penalty to homosexuals, adulterers and heretics. The 2002 Republican Party Platform of Texas is as fine an example of unmitigated hatred as one can find anywhere for it insulates criminals and wrong doers from prosecution for even murder and hate crimes. The Texas Republican Platform is also significant because Texas is the home state of President George W. Bush. We have to assume since he didn’t object to the platform publicly, that he tacitly accepted it. It reads in part:

Homosexuality – …We are opposed to any granting of special legal entitlements, recognition, or privileges including, but not limited to, marriage between persons of the same sex, custody of children by homosexuals, homosexual partner insurance or retirement benefits. We oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values.”

http://www.yuricareport.com/Dominionism/Co...torationAct.htm

And now we see in the USA there is a Investigation regarding stacking the USA Judiciary system with 150 whacked out indoctinated graduates from Pat Robertson's Regent University, includiing Monica Goodling, who pleaded the fifth when questioned, regarding their attempted dismantling of of the US Judicial system to impliment theocracy.

Iti s real, its true and it is whacked, right out there. And perhaps you did not really what Moyers speaks out about it from scribblet's 1st post above.

There Is No Tomorrow

By Bill Moyers

These true believers subscribe to a fantastical theology concocted in the 19th century by a couple of immigrant preachers who took disparate passages from the Bible and wove them into a narrative that has captivated the imagination of millions of Americans. Its outline is rather simple, if bizarre: Once Israel has occupied the rest of its "bibli-cal lands," legions of the Antichrist will attack it, triggering a final showdown in the valley of Armageddon. As the Jews who have not been converted are burned, the messiah will return for the rapture. True believers will be lifted out of their clothes and transported to heaven, where, seated next to the right hand of God, they will watch their political and religious opponents suffer plagues of boils, sores, locusts and frogs during the several years of tribulation that follow.

The Domionists can no longer try to operate in stealth mode and lying in denial. There are simply way too many avenues of proof, from their own lips.

The BBC article may be read at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/3031803.stm The longer and more important article, “Veteran neo-con advisor moves on Iran,” by Jim Lobe, writing for the Asia Times can be found at: http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/EF26Ak03.html Another very interesting article is “Flirting with Fascism: Neocon theorist Michael Ledeen draws more from Italian fascism than from the American Right,” by John Laughland and published in the June 30, 2003 issue of The American Conservative. You may read this article at: http://www.amconmag.com/06_30_03/print/featureprint.html And for a recent interview with Ledeen, conducted by Pat Robertson on CBN.com, go to endnote 27 above.

How 'bout we talk about one smear topic at a time? Next someone will bring up the crusades again to prove how wrong it all is, or whatever!

:D

Wonder if these 'dominionists' know they are 'dominionists' scary scary LOL I don't think I've seen so much you know what in all my life. I think there's an infection here.... maybe its part of the tinfoil hate brigade. I think I need a Timmies

Yes, guess I should have put in quotes.

Yes, the link she provided supports my theory that all this malarky about the rapture is part of the blogosphere's demonziation of Bush. Not that he's any angel, but you get my drift.

Some people just can not handle christianity and must attack it whenever they see it. Even the MSM has its limits.

Some people just can not handle christianity and must attack it whenever they see it. Even the MSM has its limits.

I noticed there's nothing about these dominionists in the MSM, in fact its the first I've heard of it, maybe polynewbie could enlighten us - over a Timmies LOL

I came across this today, and am absolutely blown away by the rhetoric and what I see as mostly fabrications and a smear campaign against Christians. Personally I don't know evangelicals but years ago I had some neighbours who would fit that category,and I worked with two, but they sure didn't fit the stereotype pictured on some left wing sites. They believe that these Christians are actually seeking the destruction of the planet in order to facilitate the return of Christ e.g. the Rapture

Isn't that the whole theme of the Left Behind stories? It's certainly not true of all Christians, but there are some who subscribe to that theology.

... they all read Tim LaHaye and have one goal: to facilitate God's hand to waft them up to heaven from where they will watch Armageddon and the destruction of Planet Earth. Apparantly it is the fastest growing religious movement in Christianity today and we should all be very afraid.

Do you have some refutation of any of that you intend to tender here? Please, get to your argument.

Read American Theocracy, its actually written by a former Republican and talks about some of the views of the religious right and how they effect policy decision in the US. I get somewhat worried about the direction the Christian Coalition wants to take America in, especially with the amount of influence they wield within the Republican party.

Read American Theocracy, its actually written by a former Republican and talks about some of the views of the religious right and how they effect policy decision in the US. I get somewhat worried about the direction the Christian Coalition wants to take America in, especially with the amount of influence they wield within the Republican party.

The Dominionists may be a minority, but they, with support of the Bush admin, have been systemically dismantling the US Constitution and infrastructure with their power under Bush's regime.

The following expose on how they got ramped up is as follows:

How Dominionism Was Spread

The years 1982-1986 marked the period Pat Robertson and radio and televangelists urgently broadcast appeals that rallied Christian followers to accept a new political religion that would turn millions of Christians into an army of political operatives. It was the period when the militant church raised itself from centuries of sleep and once again eyed power.

At the time, most Americans were completely unaware of the militant agenda being preached on a daily basis across the breadth and width of America. Although it was called “Christianity” it can barely be recognized as Christian. It in fact was and is a wolf parading in sheep’s clothing: It was and is a political scheme to take over the government of the United States and then turn that government into an aggressor nation that will forcibly establish the United States as the ruling empire of the twenty-first century. It is subversive, seditious, secretive, and dangerous.[9]

Dominionism is a natural if unintended extension of Social Darwinism and is frequently called “Christian Reconstructionism.” Its doctrines are shocking to ordinary Christian believers and to most Americans. Journalist Frederick Clarkson, who has written extensively on the subject, warned...that Dominionism “seeks to replace democracy with a theocratic elite that would govern by imposing their interpretation of ‘Biblical Law.’” He described the ulterior motive of Dominionism is to eliminate “…labor unions, civil rights laws, and public schools.” Clarkson then describes the creation of new classes of citizens:

...Today, Dominionists hide their agenda and have resorted to stealth; one investigator who has engaged in internet exchanges with people who identify themselves as religious conservatives said, “They cut and run if I mention the word ‘Dominionism.’”[11] Joan Bokaer, the Director of Theocracy Watch, a project of the Center for Religion, Ethics and Social Policy at Cornell University wrote, “In March 1986, I was on a speaking tour in Iowa and received a copy of the following memo [Pat] Robertson had distributed to the Iowa Republican County Caucus titled, “How to Participate in a Political Party.”

The person that tried to scoff it off as the link being 3 years old, and Bush just wanted to get rid of Clinton's bunch is in grievous error. We can SEE it occuring, and have seen it occuring. BTW, The US Attorney's were systematically fired from 2004 onward. And hiring 150 people for 1 dept, who graduated from the same university, the 4th rate Pat Robertson's Regent University, that teaches Dominionism as its fundamental premise, is quite abnormal and says a great deal on it's own. Including Monica Goodling, Director of Public Affairs for the United States Department of Justice, Little snippet regarding this as follows:

The internal Justice Department investigation is also looking at whether Goodling used political affiliations in deciding whom to hire as career prosecutors. Such consideration would be a violation of federal law.

"I believe obtaining her testimony will be a critical step in our efforts to get to the truth about the circumstances surrounding the U.S. attorney firings and possible politicization in the department’s prosecutorial function," Conyers said. "The committee will be moving expeditiously to apply for the court order so that we can schedule a hearing promptly."

http://news.bostonherald.com/politics/view...rticleid=199099

If anyone has been dismantling anything it is the ACLU and not Christians. While some Christians may want some changes e.g. no abortions and SSM, they are not calling for a total theocracy, and are not committing violence to that end. (except for the odd one who goes after abortion docs.) Fred Phelps and his merry band of relatives are beyond contempt - and probably mentally ill.

As far as I'm concerned all this 'dominionist' crap is left wing hypberbole meant to discredit Christians of any kind, but the hypberbole and ranting of the left on this, does have a purpose, maybe one we should be more afraid of. The secular humanists are dedicated to re-shaping the country in their image of a social 'utopia' but we should we accept their prostelyzing, they are no different than any group with an agenda. They all have a say in a democracy.

And yes, I'll attack Christianity whenver I see Benny Hinns or Pat Robertson spew their vile and hatred and self prophecy to anyone with a checkbook or VISA. Same goes with those tele-evangival shows. Just shows you how gullible and weak some people are.

If anyone has been dismantling anything it is the ACLU and not Christians.

The ACLU is upholding the constitution as best it can. Meanwhile various factions of the Republican party are attacking it continually.

While some Christians may want some changes e.g. no abortions and SSM, they are not calling for a total theocracy, and are not committing violence to that end.

1. The basis on which they want those changes is that their faith prescribes it. That is to say, they want their faith to be the measure of policy. That is theocracy.

2. Some commit violence.

Fred Phelps and his merry band of relatives are beyond contempt - and probably mentally ill.

So, you think it's a sign of mental illness to literally believe the Bible? I agree.

As far as I'm concerned all this 'dominionist' crap is left wing hypberbole...

So you don't believe that Pat Robertson believes in the Bible? Or you don't believe the Bible discusses the Rapture? Or what?

If anyone has been dismantling anything it is the ACLU and not Christians. While some Christians may want some changes e.g. no abortions and SSM, they are not calling for a total theocracy...

I guess you missed the episode where Pat Robertson prayed to God for vacancies to be created in the Supreme Court so that Bush could stack it with fellow nutbars.

Or you don't believe the Bible discusses the Rapture? Or what?

Quite right, the bible does not discuss the rapture. The rapture is doctrine that has arisen from the bible, but it is not contained in it. For that matter, the vaious quotes that the rapture springs from leaves some end time believers at odds as to when the rapture comes, before the tribulation or after?

And this discussion is not only not in the Bible, it's about 1900 years after it too.

Again I will say, this doctrine is not representitive of mainstream christianity

[
Fred Phelps and his merry band of relatives are beyond contempt - and probably mentally ill.

So, you think it's a sign of mental illness to literally believe the Bible? I agree.

You are a disrespectful insulting ass. And that is a definite sign of mental illness.