Conservatives Raise TEN TIMES more than Liberals.

From today's Globe and Mail. Link

Here's the importance.

According to quarterly fundraising results, posted Tuesday by Elections Canada, the Liberals managed to raise only $531,141 from 4,365 donors.

By contrast, the Tories vacuumed up almost $5.2 million from more than 45,000 contributors. The NDP scooped up $1.2 million from almost 15,000 donors.

Wow, the Liberals are in trouble. All the more reason there will be an election by fall at the latest.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let's see...so far Harper has out-thought, out-maneuvred and out-legislated Dion, and now it looks like Harper has out-fundraised him too. What has Dion done? Shoved his foot in his yap with the Greens and almost learned how to speak English. Ok, so the last one was a bit generous.

Well, let's see...so far Harper has out-thought, out-maneuvred and out-legislated Dion, and now it looks like Harper has out-fundraised him too. What has Dion done? Shoved his foot in his yap with the Greens and almost learned how to speak English. Ok, so the last one was a bit generous.

And pass by the Tories in the polls today.

The number one mistake in that campaign, IMO. With all that money to blow on attack ads, you better hope the CPC don't do something similar.

If the Dion definition ads are any indication they are definitely moving in the right direction.

Say what you will about those ads a few months back, but they definitely netted the CPC support. At least for the short-term...

If the Dion definition ads are any indication they are definitely moving in the right direction.

Say what you will about those ads a few months back, but they definitely netted the CPC support. At least for the short-term...

I don't think I've seen all of them, but the ones I have seen do look better than the ones from the 2006 campaign. Then again, the election hasn't even been called yet (and won't necessarily happen anytime soon)...

Do people vote for who has the most money?

People give the most to the parties they truly support. These numbers are good for the CPC who should otherwise be fearing their base leaving them.

It just goes to show, there are no options for right-leaning people in Canada anymore, so they all just deal with it and vote CPC.

People give the most to the parties they truly support. These numbers are good for the CPC who should otherwise be fearing their base leaving them.

Whether you support a party fully, or only support them a little, it makes no difference. Either way you get only one vote. Besides, it only shows that the Conservatives have 45,000 full supporters. It's hard to win an election from the votes of 45,000 people.

I don't think I've seen all of them, but the ones I have seen do look better than the ones from the 2006 campaign. Then again, the election hasn't even been called yet (and won't necessarily happen anytime soon)...

The Conservatives actually talked about the cheeziness of the ads in 2006, especially the *beep* *beep* being planned.

Perhaps the newest ads are a sign of maturity...

The Conservatives actually talked about the cheeziness of the ads in 2006, especially the *beep* *beep* being planned.

Perhaps the newest ads are a sign of maturity...

Actually some of them weren't too bad. The ones I am talking about are the attack ads, especially with respect to Gomery/Sponsorship scandal. My favourite though was the one where they said something like "the Liberals are planning attack ads" right in the middle of their own attack ad. That was hilarious.

Whether you support a party fully, or only support them a little, it makes no difference. Either way you get only one vote. Besides, it only shows that the Conservatives have 45,000 full supporters. It's hard to win an election from the votes of 45,000 people.

It's still an indication of the level of support the Conservatives and, for that matter, NDP have from loyalits. Remember that most Liberal Party money came in large amounts from corporations, and that is now banned. They never did get much from ordinary people - other than what they stole, of course.

It's still an indication of the level of support the Conservatives and, for that matter, NDP have from loyalits. Remember that most Liberal Party money came in large amounts from corporations, and that is now banned. They never did get much from ordinary people - other than what they stole, of course.

Hilarious... do you have some proof that the Liberal Party stole anything? I seem to remember a commission that was set up and it showed that there were a couple people involved, not the party itself.

Sad Argus...

Absolutely. Who ever can get more boots on the street, more canvassers, more knockers.......has a better tactile advantage.

.....helps though if they are articulate and better looking too

I believe that any party can have tens of thousand of $$$ but what does it take to win a election??? TRUST and I don't think the voters are trusting the Cons, especially, when they make such a big deal about them being honest and forth right. Harper is making moves that a % of the country does not like and I really don't think we will see an elction much before Oct. 18/09 unless he pushing the oppositions and they bring down the govt. I still think the war is going to be Harper's down fall.

Absolutely. Who ever can get more boots on the street, more canvassers, more knockers.......has a better tactile advantage.

.....helps though if they are articulate and better looking too

Ah, I think this comment explains it.

Further, to folow the trail of money, it looks like people are leaving the Liberal party and heading for the NDP or Green.

And easy does it Topaz, people don't trust ANY politicians.

Money does help a riding, the bigger the war chest the better chance they have of winning. They can get more material out on the street, buy ads etc. If they have plenty they can even hire people instead of totally relying on volunteers.