Spring Time Purge

Greg

• Forum Admin

Spring has finally arrived, and it looks like it's time for another forum member purge.

Over the past few months a fair amount of forum members (both long time members and new members) have forgotten to abide by the forum rules and guidelines and now many forum threads are either filled with insults and ignorance, or are so off-topic they may as well be closed.

It seems every 6 to 12 months I have to come down hard on everyone to restore some order. Well, the forums are definitely in need of some order. I've instituted zero-tolerance policies in this forum in the past, so most of you will be aware of the situation. However, for those of you who are new (or you need a refresher), a previous post of mine should help explain the situation:

If I catch anyone using insults or any other type of ignorant behaviour you will be suspended for one month.

No warnings will be issued. Consider this the equivalent of a lock-down in a prison. If after that month, I catch anyone acting ignorant, the banning will be permanent.

No one will be immune from this zero tolerance policy, so I would suggest you think carefully about your behaviour on the next few days/weeks.

Interesting. Just got a warning apparently for this innocent comment: "Welcome to Laytons dreamworld politics." If that's the sign of the times to come, I'm out a here. Seriously. Political forum without mentioning any politician's names (other than in a praise context?).

(Notice that the comment is not about Layton himself, just his politics. But maybe it's a taboo too?)

Spring has finally arrived, and it looks like it's time for another forum member purge.

Over the past few months a fair amount of forum members (both long time members and new members) have forgotten to abide by the forum rules and guidelines and now many forum threads are either filled with insults and ignorance, or are so off-topic they may as well be closed.

It seems every 6 to 12 months I have to come down hard on everyone to restore some order. Well, the forums are definitely in need of some order. I've instituted zero-tolerance policies in this forum in the past, so most of you will be aware of the situation. However, for those of you who are new (or you need a refresher), a previous post of mine should help explain the situation:

If I catch anyone using insults or any other type of ignorant behaviour you will be suspended for one month.

No warnings will be issued. Consider this the equivalent of a lock-down in a prison. If after that month, I catch anyone acting ignorant, the banning will be permanent.

No one will be immune from this zero tolerance policy, so I would suggest you think carefully about your behaviour on the next few days/weeks.

I am glad that you have done this, it takes away from good banter.

Don't worry, everyone got it, even the most docile, un controversial people.

While I do cherish the right to free speech, it is annoying as funk for threads to turn into nothing but shouting matches, and stray away from the topics at hand. I come here to learn, to read.....I don't care for childish commentary and name calling.

• Forum Admin
Just got a warning apparently for this innocent comment: "Welcome to Laytons dreamworld politics." If that's the sign of the times to come, I'm out a here. Seriously. Political forum without mentioning any politician's names (other than in a praise context?.

Just to be clear, the recent email discussing the zero-tolerance policy was a general email sent to everyone. The point of the email was to notify everyone of the new policy, and to point them to this thread.

How is one to define 'any type of ignorant behavior'?

Andrew

• Forum Admin

I'm sorry, but if you can't tell the different between someone who is being civil and someone who is being ignorant, I imagine you'll be one of the ones being shown the door.

This isn't a complicated or overly arduous request. Don't be a jerk and you'll be fine - it's as simple as that.

I'm sorry, but if you can't tell the different between someone who is being civil and someone who is being ignorant, I imagine you'll be one of the ones being shown the door.

This isn't a complicated or overly arduous request. Don't be a jerk and you'll be fine - it's as simple as that.

Wow,

"but if you can't tell the different between someone who is being civil and someone who is being ignorant, I imagine you'll be one of the ones being shown the door"

see, to me that defines what being a jerk is all about. Did you not even recognize that?

My question was serious and genuine, due to the broad ways in which it could be understood. But of course you are not subject to your own rules are you?

Andrew

"but if you can't tell the different between someone who is being civil and someone who is being ignorant, I imagine you'll be one of the ones being shown the door"

see, to me that defines what being a jerk is all about. Did you not even recognize that?

My question was serious and genuine, due to the broad ways in which it could be understood. But of course you are not subject to your own rules are you?

Andrew

It's his board Andrew. And I for one am grateful for Greg's intervention; one that should have been totally unnecessary.

Andrew

It's his board Andrew. And I for one am grateful for Greg's intervention; one that should have been totally unnecessary.

I too am in favor if strict debating rules, but clarity is important. His response to me was just rude.

Andrew

Wow,

Andrew

I went back and read the comments again, and I don't see why you are being so stubborn. And in the above remark, you infer Greg is a jerk. That is rude. Also rude is the flippant question about him not being subject to his own rules.

I see you are relatively new here. I suppose either you will figure this out or not.

• Forum Admin
Easy for you to say. For some of us it's like asking not to be short.....

Ha!

I too am in favor if strict debating rules, but clarity is important. His response to me was just rude.

I'm not sure how I could be anymore clear? The rules and guidelines state quite clearly what is expected of all forum members. My response to you was a statement of fact. If you seriously can't distinguish between civil and ignorant behaviour then you will likely end up being removed from these forums.

The biggest problems with internet forums are:

1. some people are just smartasses and are mis-understood by overly-sentive people.

2. you can't fully interpret a persons attitude based on text because there is no text or annunciation and therefore people either have to be so blatantly obvious of what they mean or elses they could be in the same boat as the smartasses in 1.

3. some people are just trolls who do anything to piss people off and are very easily identified.

I wish we could have this kind of purge in society too.

"OOOOOHHHH..... you are a <fill in the blank>. Your account to humanity is deleted! Goodbye!"

Be alot less murderers, rapists and baby diddlers if I was in charge of this country that's for sure.

"OOOOOHHHH..... you are a <fill in the blank>. Your account to humanity is deleted! Goodbye!"

Be alot less murderers, rapists and baby diddlers if I was in charge of this country that's for sure.

The history of humanity is full of this. . . . a lot less Kulaks and capitalists and Jews and dissidents too. . . .

(I assumed that you were doing the "modest proposal" thing, if not, wtf?)

The history of humanity is full of this. . . . a lot less Kulaks and capitalists and Jews and dissidents too. . . .

(I assumed that you were doing the "modest proposal" thing, if not, wtf?)

If you are likening my support of applying capital punishment to the scum of society to that of the likes of Hitler, Stalin etc... I think you have either completely missed my point or have read into something that is entirely not there.

If you are likening my support of applying capital punishment to the scum of society to that of the likes of Hitler, Stalin etc... I think you have either completely missed my point or have read into something that is entirely not there.

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I'm doing. Removing undesirables is no better for you (who call them the "scum of the society") than it was for Hitler or Stalin.

If I misread, please explain what you meant by

"I wish we could have this kind of purge in society too.

Be alot less murderers, rapists and baby diddlers if I was in charge of this country that's for sure."

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I'm doing. Removing undesirables is no better for you (who call them the "scum of the society") than it was for Hitler or Stalin.

If I misread, please explain what you meant by

"I wish we could have this kind of purge in society too.

Be alot less murderers, rapists and baby diddlers if I was in charge of this country that's for sure."

Uhm...let's see:

OOOOOHHHH..... you are a murderer. Your account to humanity is deleted! Goodbye

OOOOOHHHH..... you are a rapist. Your account to humanity is deleted! Goodbye

OOOOOHHHH..... you are a baby diddler. Your account to humanity is deleted! Goodbye

I don't think I need to explain anymore.

If you still don't see my point, I will consider you a Liberal and not worth wasting my breath on because I have absolutely nothing civil to say about Liberal judicial policy.

OOOOOHHHH..... you are a murderer. Your account to humanity is deleted! Goodbye

OOOOOHHHH..... you are a rapist. Your account to humanity is deleted! Goodbye

OOOOOHHHH..... you are a baby diddler. Your account to humanity is deleted! Goodbye

I don't think I need to explain anymore.

If you still don't see my point, I will consider you a Liberal and not worth wasting my breath on because I have absolutely nothing civil to say about Liberal judicial policy.

OOOOOHHHH..... you are a liberal. Your account to humanity is deleted! Goodbye

OOOOOHHHH..... you are a liberal. Your account to humanity is deleted! Goodbye
I'm extremely left-wing. What do you have against me?