Should we bring Taliban prisoners to live in Canada?

This is what apparently Dion is fighting for....since we cannot guarantee that the prisoners will not be tortured once we've handed them to the Afghan authorities.

Don't you find this absurd?

Importing to bring potentially very dangerous people to get INSIDE Canada (when the rest of the western world is desperately figuring out how to KEEP THEM AWAY)?

Why is he willing to gamble and play with fire......at the grave risk of our own citizens...not to mention national security?

This is being discussed in the Gordon O'Connor Once Again Under Pressure -- Latest Afghan abuse claims... thread also.

Importing to bring potentially very dangerous people to get INSIDE Canada (when the rest of the western world is desperately figuring out how to KEEP THEM AWAY)?
I think it is absurd because it is abduction and kidnapping.

Rather than asking "What do we do if the Afghan authorities might torture them???" Canadians should say "Wait a minute here!!!! We are co-operating with an evil authority in Afghanistan."

I would be afraid that if they brought them here the lawyers and judges would have them out on the street within a year.

IF the only way we can keep these prsioners safe under the International Law then yes. One thing we don't want to do is give them to the US who has built a prison there after closing the one in Iraq. I'm sure the press we find more torturing there in the future, once they realize the prison is there.

IF the only way we can keep these prsioners safe under the International Law then yes. One thing we don't want to do is give them to the US who has built a prison there after closing the one in Iraq. I'm sure the press we find more torturing there in the future, once they realize the prison is there.

I would rather round up all the fifth columnist's and quislings in this country, sent them to Afghanistan and hand them over to the Afghanis where they can keep an eye on each other.

As much as i feel prison sentences are to harsh, I wonder why we aren't just handing them over and letting the people of free Afghanistan do as they want with their prisoners. If I'm not wrong, aren't these Taliban going around cutting off heads and blowing up children, not to mention our troops? Why are we worried that some of them may be "abused" while in the custady of their own people. If we do have to bring these Pakistani prisoners to Canada, will Taliban Jack Layton call for and Dion end up giving them citizenship? I mean, we already have a number of them murdering types running around after the immigration board let them in. We even have a few genicide criminals living in Toronto. I just bet these murders love this bleeding heart liberal immigration folks.

The more I read about what the Conservatives want to do to this country, the more I like it. I think we need to fix a few things and the first thing we need to do is let the Afghani people do what they wish with their POWs.

Fat Frieddie

Why not kidnap prisoners from all countries who have human rights abuse claims against them?

Because we simply don't have the resources to do that. We have to put pressure on these countries to do the right thing and hopefully they'll listen.

It is not in our best interest to spend our money and resources (from Canadian taxpayers) to house criminals of other nations. The long and the short of it is, if the Taliban and other groups would stop killing our troops who are trying to provide security and would stop attacking innocent civilians, they wouldn't have to worry about being locked away in prisons that may subject them to torture.

I don't know if you can really say kidnapping and abduction, since I assume these are Afghans....therefore Dion can say "they got extradited to Canada". Or more appropriately, "they got invited to experience ClubFed, through the generosity of the Canadians."

Rather than asking "What do we do if the Afghan authorities might torture them???" Canadians should say "Wait a minute here!!!! We are co-operating with an evil authority in Afghanistan."

No! Canadians should say: "Wait a minute here! Aren't we at war? Aren't we supposed to be helping the Afghans by getting rid of the Taliban? Didn't the Liberals say the Taliban are evil? Isn't that why we got involved there in the first place?"

"And wait another darn minute here! Does Dion knows what he's on about? Is he lucid?"

DOES HE KNNOW WHAT THIS IS DOING TO OUR TROOPS' MORALE OUT THERE?

Canadians should demand, "Dion must undergo psychological evaluation!"

Dion has replaced Preston Manning as the most laughable idiot to enter the HOC. If only there was a test to help root out the fools. Wait a minute, isn't it the job of the people to see through the smoke and figure out which politician should be aborted at the beginning of the local elections? My goodness, we sure have some stupid people in Ottawa don't we, but we must question the IQ of some of the people of this country who vote them in as well. I often wonder how much people actually know about politics and how much they know about the people they vote for. I did a google on my local Liberal and found out he's a total jerk. He won't be getting my vote next election. I think others should check their local MPs no matter which party they support.

Dion has replaced Preston Manning as the most laughable idiot to enter the HOC. If only there was a test to help root out the fools. Wait a minute, isn't it the job of the people to see through the smoke and figure out which politician should be aborted at the beginning of the local elections? My goodness, we sure have some stupid people in Ottawa don't we, but we must question the IQ of some of the people of this country who vote them in as well. I often wonder how much people actually know about politics and how much they know about the people they vote for. I did a google on my local Liberal and found out he's a total jerk. He won't be getting my vote next election. I think others should check their local MPs no matter which party they support.

I'd have to question how much you know about Manning to call him a laughable idiot. Yes, the media made fun of him, largely I'd suggest for the sound of his voice. But he did start the movement for policy reform and contributed to the country in opposition. Stockwell Day was made a laughing stock, once again for reasons outside of his role as an MP. Dion's actions on Kyoto and the bring the prisioner over here idea make him a boob.

Future book by Dion: "Liberals are no Laughing Matter, Really: How I Singlehandedly Evolved a National Party into a National Laughingstock", or "Afghans Ahoy for Global Warming and Equality"

a-HA!

Dress the Taliban up in full pirate regalia and have them set sail! BRILLIANT!

We're going to single-handedly make the greatest contribution to the global warming solution by turning terrorists into pirates! ARGH!

I don't know if you can really say kidnapping and abduction, since I assume these are Afghans....therefore Dion can say "they got extradited to Canada". Or more appropriately, "they got invited to experience ClubFed, through the generosity of the Canadians."

No! Canadians should say: "Wait a minute here! Aren't we at war? Aren't we supposed to be helping the Afghans by getting rid of the Taliban? Didn't the Liberals say the Taliban are evil? Isn't that why we got involved there in the first place?"

"And wait another darn minute here! Does Dion knows what he's on about? Is he lucid?"

DOES HE KNNOW WHAT THIS IS DOING TO OUR TROOPS' MORALE OUT THERE?

Canadians should demand, "Dion must undergo psychological evaluation!"

OK. First of all, I think Dion realized as soon as he said it that it wouldn't work and quickly retracted. He may lack political savvy, but he really wouldn't go that far. Secondly, the Liberals supported the war as a knee-jerk reaction to 911, but our pre-Harper War Machine role was as Peacekeepers. Many nations besides Canada (ie: Liberals, NDP and Bloc of Canada) are questioning their roles and chance of success. Thirdly, not all Taliban are Terrorists and they still have the support of many Afghans. This will only work if we give the people what they want. They are not interested in a Western style Democracy, but want a government that respects their culture and religous beliefs. The Cons have jumped on the 'bring the Taliban to Canada' Faux Paus, hoping we will forget their Hill and Knowlton led War. $$$$$$$$$$$$

During WWII we had German POW detention camps in Canada so the idea of Taliban POW detention camps is not out of our line of experience. But there has to be a better way; handing them over to Afghan authorities is obviously something we cannot continue to do without on-going supervision as to their treatment. We cannot be complicit in the torturing of people no matter if they be Taliban or whomever. It's scandalous that we knew about the goings-on and basically did nothing to this point.

During WWII we had German POW detention camps in Canada so the idea of Taliban POW detention camps is not out of our line of experience. But there has to be a better way; handing them over to Afghan authorities is obviously something we cannot continue to do without on-going supervision as to their treatment. We cannot be complicit in the torturing of people no matter if they be Taliban or whomever. It's scandalous that we knew about the goings-on and basically did nothing to this point.

Why?

I would be afraid that if they brought them here the lawyers and judges would have them out on the street within a year.

Fine. They can live with you. The only benefit I see to that is that a little of life's realities would begin to intrude on your sheltered life. Within a few months you'd be on here screaming about filthy foreign murdering scum and demanding they all be deported.

This is being discussed in the Gordon O'Connor Once Again Under Pressure -- Latest Afghan abuse claims... thread also.

Evil? I doubt that. They are barbarians. That whole part of the world is peopled by barbarians. What kind of treatment did you expect? Do you think the political prisoners fare better in Egypt or Syria or Yemen or Iran?

But at least the barbarians in charge aren't executing teenage girls for having sex, or shooting female schoolteachers or clubbing them to death. There are shades of darkness here, and while the Afghani government and it's sometimes chaotic rule of law don't meet our standards of respect for human rights they're still a hell of a lot better than the people you whiners are crying over.

The Taliban are committing their atrocities against Afghanis. Where do we get off telling Afghanis how they should be treated?

Even if we did bring them over here, eventually they would have to be sent back to whatever awaits them, given sanctuary in another country willing to take them or given refugee status. All this for a group of people who don't hesitate to kill anyone who gets in their way or differs from their view of the world. That's not on.

We were at war with Germany, not some terrorist faction trying to take over the German government (although Hitler's mob fit that description pretty well, he was elected). Germany was a signatory to the Geneva Convention and as far as western prisoners were concerned at least, for the most part Germany lived up to that treaty. The Taliban has probably never heard of the Geneva Convention and would no doubt consider us morons for making such commitments if they had.